Engine endplay

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

-K-
Third Gear

Engine endplay

Post by -K- »

Ok, I got my engine back in after replacing the head gaskets. That I only did because I knew the car was going to be down for a few weeks (air water IC) and there is 160k on it. So I got it back in and was putting on the crank pully and klunk the crank went back close to .100 and yes it was the crank. The klunk could be heard clearly in the center of the engine. :( How long might it have been like that? Is this a common problem? Any idea how long it might go? The thing was running great so I'm going to run it now. Because if I don't get to drive it soon I'll forget why I bought it even though it needed a clutch, it grinds into second, the paint is about compleatly gone on the top......
02 WRX Sedan, 5mt
93 Sport Sedan, 5mt
mile hi
First Gear

Post by mile hi »

Number three main bearing it is the thrust bearing and a lot of them do show wear on high milage engines. One way to at least slow down the wear is to put the transmission in neutral at stops and engage the clutch as the pressure is against that bearing when the clutch is disengaged. The worn bearing usually gives a thumping noise but it is pretty well in time with the exhaust. Automatics wear the bearing faster than 5 speeds.
AL(CO)
al@iwtu.net