loyale tranny into a legacy?

Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

herr_diesel
In Neutral

loyale tranny into a legacy?

Post by herr_diesel »

Found a wrecked Loyale down the street. Has the older 5-speed with the 4WD/Hi/Lo lever. I think it's the last year for the hi/lo, relatively new. Would this bolt up to my 90 Legacy wagon's motor? my car's pretty rough, so some custom work to get the levers in wouldn't be a big deal, but I don't know if the Loyale manual bell housing would bolt to my motor (currently 4EAT).

Would the rear diff from the loyale fit? If not, could I find another legacy rear diff with the same ratio as the loyale manual?

I've done a few swaps in jeeps and other various buggies, so I'm not afraid of some fab work.

My 4EAT is slowly on it's way out, so a manual swap is something I'd like to do anyway, just kind of having a hard time finding a manual legacy near me (SW Montana) for a reasonable price. Salvage yards know what they have, and charge accordingly.

I've wrenched on my legacy quite a bit, but don't know too much about the loyale's. If I'm going to do a swap, I'd love to have low range, and I'd be willing to do quite a bit of work to get it.

Any info/questions/criticisms/suggestions/jokes/ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Andy
90 L sedan w/ 5MT paid 250 bucks
90 L wagon w/ POS 4EAT, sold it to a hot chick, now we've been dating over 2 years
boostjunkie
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by boostjunkie »

Nope. The loyale used an EA-series engine while the legacy uses an EJ-series. I'm pretty sure that the trannies are not compatible between the engines.
[url=http://www.angelfire.com/md3/91turbolegacy/images/On_the_Lawn.jpg]1991 Legacy Turbo (RIP)[/url]

[url=http://www.angelfire.com/md3/91turbolegacy/images/Summer_Car_Wash3.jpg]2000 Celica GT-S[/url]
Brat4by4
Stratified

Post by Brat4by4 »

If you found an EA-82T you could just drop the whole drivetrain in and fab up the cross members. That would be interesting...
1993 WMP BC6 5MT EJ22T 9psi 3.9:1 213k 205/55R16

62.6 m/s @ 0.66 bar. Gotta love boost. :)
paf
First Gear

Post by paf »

I know someone who had bought a transmission from a loyale thinking he could put it in... well it didnt work, not enough space for the clutch and slightly different bolt pattern... i think
1990 FWD Legacy Wagon Base
mile hi
First Gear

Post by mile hi »

We have a adapter plate to install a Legacy engine into a Loyale this should work for what you want to do.
AL(CO)
al@iwtu.net
herr_diesel
In Neutral

Post by herr_diesel »

Have any more info on that? The possiblilities sound very promising...

Thanks,

Andy
90 L sedan w/ 5MT paid 250 bucks
90 L wagon w/ POS 4EAT, sold it to a hot chick, now we've been dating over 2 years