liberty rs engine swap?

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Nate S
First Gear

liberty rs engine swap?

Post by Nate S »

hey all,
I seem to have found a liberty rs engine here in the states ( actually in my own town!! ) curious if the engine would be worth swapping in? its an ej20t right? does anyone know the specs on it ? ( hp tourque etc ) or can I just swap the heads to gain the 2 cam benifits?

any thoughts would be helpful.

thx
nate
S-Squared Motorsports
Looking for aftermarket parts? Email me
nate@ss-ms.com - www.ss-ms.com
shop # 916 631 7440
92 turbo wagon / 02 wrx sedan
Aaron's ej22t
Second Gear

Post by Aaron's ej22t »

I am pretty sure it has 200hp and about 210 torque. it is an ej20t, it has more top end power than the ej22t. it redlines at 7k. other than that, the internals should be the same as an ej22t.
92 Legacy Turbo \ 5MT \ Silver
Nate S
First Gear

Post by Nate S »

hmm.,

so it is a possibility to just swap the heads...
I wonder if that would be easier/cheaper, I think the guy will sell just the heads. but dunno if that would be the way to go or what, I think a 2.2 is what I want anyway though.
S-Squared Motorsports
shop # 916 631 7440
ej22t
Second Gear

Post by ej22t »

Does the engine comes with the wire harness and the ECU?

Ben
92 Legacy turbo with EJ20G engine swap \(^0^)/
Nate S
First Gear

Post by Nate S »

dont think so,
I was thinking get just the heads, then run plugwires + coilpack from an rs or something.
I think the wire harness is there but the ecu isnt
S-Squared Motorsports
shop # 916 631 7440
boostjunkie
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by boostjunkie »

If it doesn't have the ecu or wire harness then wiring up the engine (or even just the heads) might end up being a chore. Depending on the type of sensors (cam, crank, tps, etc), you might need to source different sensors from various subarus to make the ecu run the new stuff.

I know from my experience with a 2.5L SOHC swap using my 2.5L DOHC ecu, that the cam and crank sensors were different between the two engines. Also, the DOHC intake manifold did not fit onto the SOHC heads. I would be lead to believe that the intake manifolds are not interchangeable between the head designs, especially when going from SOHC to dual. The heads all bolt up, however.

In order to do my swap on my GT, I needed to source parts from a 1.8L impreza in order to use the throttle body from that car which contained the correct TPS sensor that gave out the proper signal for my ecu. I also needed to take the cam and crank sensor from the donor 1.8 since the SOHC engine had a 5 tooth design versus, 11 tooth, or something like that.
[url=http://www.angelfire.com/md3/91turbolegacy/images/On_the_Lawn.jpg]1991 Legacy Turbo (RIP)[/url]

[url=http://www.angelfire.com/md3/91turbolegacy/images/Summer_Car_Wash3.jpg]2000 Celica GT-S[/url]
Nate S
First Gear

Post by Nate S »

hmmm..

it has all sensors, but no wires.

I really want to do the twin cam swap , but then again it may be more worth my while to pull the heads off and have my machinist go at them and get them to flow.

Boostjunkie,
what HP rating do you think your car is at? you are still running the single cam heads right?

-nate
S-Squared Motorsports
shop # 916 631 7440
boostjunkie
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by boostjunkie »

Yup, the sensors might end up being the root of all evil in the head swap. Although, you might want to look into this further, as the heads are coming from an ej20g, and our engines are from the same "family," ej22g. You never know.

I would have to make a conservative guess at 230-ish to the wheels, maybe a little more. This is purely based on particular cars that I've met on the street. However, with the setup the way it is (stock heads with all these mods), there's MUCH room for improvement with only the addition of some larger injectors. I noticed my injectors seem to be maxxed at 15psi. I've taken the boost up to 20psi (for a very short time, mind you), but at that point the injectors were REALLY pooping out on me, and a/f started to move into the unknown (read: dangerous) zone.

I'd honestly go with the headwork on the stock heads. I've heard that with a good porting/polishing job, they can be made to flow as good, if not better than the 2.5L SOHC heads, which flow pretty damn good!
[url=http://www.angelfire.com/md3/91turbolegacy/images/On_the_Lawn.jpg]1991 Legacy Turbo (RIP)[/url]

[url=http://www.angelfire.com/md3/91turbolegacy/images/Summer_Car_Wash3.jpg]2000 Celica GT-S[/url]
Nate S
First Gear

Post by Nate S »

hmm, maybe I will just go with headwork then,
it would probably cost me about the same , and be easier to deal with.
S-Squared Motorsports
shop # 916 631 7440
rsstiboy
Second Gear

Post by rsstiboy »

you can buy my heads/engine off me because i'm sick of it!!! the tappet noise on aussie rs's is unbearable due to very small oil paths to the lifters, my average interval for oil changes is about 2000-3000klms! if I don't then the tappets actually set off the knock sensor hence retarding the timing and poor performance! I would give my left testicle to find a good STi replacement engine or STi half cut for little $$$
MY02 B4 Liberty, 2 1/2" off the primary with splitter, 3" off the secondary, 3" the rest of the way, completely stainless, k&n filter, ECUtek 3, 500HP walbro, 173kw@all4
Nate S
First Gear

Post by Nate S »

does the aus RS have the same knock sensor issue as the us spec? if so there has been a redesign on it. maybe something to check into if you havent already.
S-Squared Motorsports
shop # 916 631 7440
mile hi
First Gear

Post by mile hi »

This has been done and the result of EJ20t heads on a EJ22 block is not a good combination it will give you a compression ratio of less than 7:1 and a estimated power of around 150hp I think we have most of this engine left and I am sure it could be had for very reasonable price.
AL(CO)
al@iwtu.net
IggDawg
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by IggDawg »

boostjunkie wrote:I noticed my injectors seem to be maxxed at 15psi. I've taken the boost up to 20psi (for a very short time, mind you), but at that point the injectors were REALLY pooping out on me, and a/f started to move into the unknown (read: dangerous) zone.
not to hijack, but I have a quick question. you say your injectors are maxing out at 15 PSI... is that with the stock turbo or the TD05? or does the turbo size not come into play until the exhaust stroke?
IggDawg is cool.

-IggDawg

1994 Barcelona Red SVX LSi.
1990 CRX Si (for sale)

I know a little about Subarus.
boostjunkie
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by boostjunkie »

It's definitely due to the turbo. It's still very efficient at that psi so it's moving alot of air at that pressure. So much air that the stock injectors have a hard time supplying fuel to keep a/f ratios in check.

You can run the stock turbo at that pressure, but it might be out of its efficiency range, so even at that psi, you still won't move that much air to cause the injectors to be maxxed.

Make sense?

Nate S
First Gear

Post by Nate S »

mile hi

do you by chance have a set of the stock SOHC heads?

thx
nate
S-Squared Motorsports
shop # 916 631 7440