EBC Redstuff Front Pads - Nonceramic

Got a new part? Is it the best thing you've ever seen? Is it a complete ripoff? Let us know about your parts and service.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

LaureltheQueen
Spelling Nazi
Spelling Nazi

EBC Redstuff Front Pads - Nonceramic

Post by LaureltheQueen »

Alright, I ordered a set of EBC redstuff pads, because subiegal suggested I try the ceramics. A couple days after placing my order she heard back from the guy that they hadnt reformulated the fronts for the turbos to ceramic yet so I went with the old, semi-metallic. Now, I havent changed out my brake fluid yet, so I can't say for sure it's just the pads, but I very strongly dislike them. They stop like crap until they heat up. You have to push harder on the petal for them to have the same response as stock pads when cold. Once they're warm, they rock, they stop great and are alot of fun to you, but they also smell like burning after heavy braking, like going down a long steep hill, then stopping at a light towards the bottom of it, the smell catches up to you. They also dust like no other. my front wheels are constantly dirty. Sometimes they even look gunmetal. :)

My suggestion, stay away until they reformulate ceramic
Laurel Tuning Stage 15
92 Touring Wagon 5MT 16G
[quote="NICO I WRX U"]the streets are my track[/quote]
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

I thought EBC Redstuff was meant to be mostly for track use. I seem to remember one of the Tire Rack guys saying how when cold they'll be about the same as bargain brake pads from the corner auto parts store. I guess your experience verifies that.
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

The Redstuffs are for "aggressive" street use, or that's about the stoping power they provide.

Most aggressive drivers will try EBC pads once. That's all, They don't have a good rep among the auto enthusiast crowd.

I want to do my WRX front brakes, so I can get some Bobcats all the way around. That'll be SWEET.
2009 Outback 2.5XT. 5MT. Satin White Pearl.
2009 Impreza 2.5i Premium. Blue.

[quote="scottzg"]...I'm not a fan of the vagina...[/quote][quote="evolutionmovement"]This will all go much easier if people stop doubting me.[/quote]
Yukonart
Cradle Robber
Cradle Robber

Post by Yukonart »

I'll attest to the amount of dust they kick off. Almost as much as my STi's Brembos. :shock:
"Power is NOTHING without control"
1994 & 2005 Legacy GT Wagons
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

The Green Stuff is for high performance street use and is what I have. They work great from cold and I have no complaints. The Red Stuff is recommended for very high end street or track use.

Steve
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
LaureltheQueen
Spelling Nazi
Spelling Nazi

Post by LaureltheQueen »

i probably wont buy ebc again, but i figured i'd try it once, when it's time to replace my front pads again, i'll probably just switch to wrx brakes
Laurel Tuning Stage 15
92 Touring Wagon 5MT 16G
[quote="NICO I WRX U"]the streets are my track[/quote]
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

I'm moving to WRX brakes or some other larger set up next and will try a pad that comes more highly recommended. I've found myself happy with tires that aren't available when they need to be replaced only to have the different new tires impress me even more.

Steve
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.