I'm going booze-less

This is for non-Subaru related topics. Keep it realistic please.

Moderator: Moderators

entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

A stock good-running N/A with a good driver is NEVER going to keep up with a stock good-running Turbo with a good driver, period. I can personally attest to this.

If you kept up with a Turbo, either yours isn't stock, or he's a bad driver or something's wrong with his car.
2000 Subaru Legacy B4 RSK

"Der Wahnsinn ist nur eine schmale Brücke/die Ufer sind Vernunft und Trieb"

*Formerly DerFahrer*

@entirelyturbo on social media, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok
elkaboom
First Gear

Post by elkaboom »

A little sensitive are we? Look, I wasn't really serious when I went off on the SS tangent.... sheesh.
My car is quite obviously spunky, though. Sorry to burst your bubble, but Legacy SS's simply aren't that fast. I realize I may be breaking the holy covenant in stating this fact, but it's time to face reality dude.
I love my car, Hell, I even love your car and I've never even seen it or driven it, but it's not fast. Quick, maybe, but fast? No. Doubt it.
In any event, I'll alway's be a Subaru fan, alway's turn a wrench on a one, will most probably alway's drive one, etc. They're superior vehicles.
Bob
90 Legacy LS AWD n/a -190,000 and going strong!

91 Legacy SS -currently stock and awaiting marginal upgrades (dead) RIP
dzx
Fifth Gear

Post by dzx »

I thought my n/a legacy was fast until i bought my SS. When you say fast, are you talking about acceleration or top speed? When you think fast, do you think of a 3000gt vr4 that runs 15's in the quarter mile, a 900 hp supra, wrx sti? I think one person here went to the track with just a lightweight flywheel and pulled a 15.7, thats pretty damn close to a 320 hp vr4 with one small mod.

As for drinking, i have soo much stress in my life, i don't think i could live without a little liquid relaxation from time to time. And in my opinion, i feel like its best to experience (most) things at least once while we are still alive.
///M
'93 Legacy SS - part out
legacy92ej22t
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by legacy92ej22t »

elkaboom wrote:A little sensitive are we?
No, not really. I just completely disagree with you.
Sorry to burst your bubble, but Legacy SS's simply aren't that fast. I realize I may be breaking the holy covenant in stating this fact, but it's time to face reality dude.
The stock SS isn't all that fast, I'll give you that (I guess) but you're generalizing big time to include modded SS's. The fact that you've never even rode in a modded SS makes your comments unfounded and absurd....dude. You're stating things as fact that you don't know anything about and that's what bugs me. If you had a SS and put all the time and money into it that some of us have or even had a friend with one and then thought that it wasn't fast I might take your opinion to heart. The fact that you're basing your opinion on a stock SS verses a stock N/A that you experienced in your area and the 1/4 mile times of a modded N/A and a modded SS (that was having serious issues and couldn't get a solid time in) off the internet as your basis for your statement, well, that's just nuts. I really think it's an unfounded statement. Rsstiboy was pulling mid 13's in his RS IIRC. That on pretty much the same motor that we have with less displacement. He's running the same turbo (16G) that a lot of us are running here too. Is his car slow too??

I love my car, Hell, I even love your car and I've never even seen it or driven it, but it's not fast. Quick, maybe, but fast? No. Doubt it.
See, that's exactly what I'm talking about. You have never seen or riden in my car and are saying that it isn't fast. That's bullshit bro. Everyone that rode in my car before I FUBAR-ed the motor used the exact word 'FAST'. Are you saying that we're all a bunch of idiots that don't know what 'fast' is or do you just think we're making it up and are a bunch of liars? I guess since you have a N/A and some SS you saw locally wasn't pulling very hard makes you the expert and the rest of us that own them, mod them and drive them are a bunch of missinformed fools, huh? What a joke. :roll:
-Matt

'92 SS 5mt. All go and no show. Sold :(
'94 Audi UrS4 Modded (new project)
'96 Outback 5mt.
'07 Legacy 2.5i SE

[quote="Redlined"]
Oh... and I hope the fucker get bunked with Gunter, arrested for raping Gorillas.[/quote]
entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

I think the statement evolutionmovement once had in his sig applies more and more everyday: "Americans no longer read, dumbass!"

I never said the SS was fast. I never said my car was fast. Those are subjective terms. But what I did say is that, with no other variables, an N/A is never going to keep up with an SS, and that is a proven fact.

Let's introduce some numbers, shall we? The stock SS 0-60 is 8.5 seconds, I believe. The stock N/A AWD sedan 0-60 is 10 seconds. Neither of these numbers are worthy of NHRA recongition, no. But one quantity is still larger than the other, and you can't argue with that.

I love my N/A Legacy. It's a load of fun to drive, and it is relatively quick. And I've ridden in a pretty much stock SS, which is quick, but not neck-snapping. But as biased as I am for my car, I can still truthfully say that the SS is faster than the N/A, and not just from the seat of my pants, but from factual numbers as well.

Oh and in case it isn't blatantly obvious, the SS is a bit more receptive to mods than an N/A :roll:

So, that argument's ended, what shall we discuss now? :lol:

*Formerly DerFahrer*

@entirelyturbo on social media, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

I think the stock numbers are very underrated or the new cars they test really loosen up with age as my N/A was about 8.0 flat to 60 100k ago and is about 10 secs with the turbo compression now. I don't know what the turbos would run in real-life as I've never driven or been in a healthy unmodded one, but I bet they're at least a 1/2 sec quicker in the 1/4.

Steve
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
elkaboom
First Gear

Post by elkaboom »

Holy freakin crybaby's Matt :roll: !
I'm really, really sorry you feel the need to flame when I make a comment that actually does have some basis in reality.
I'm glad you love your car, I'm ecstatic that you believe all SS's are incredibly fast, and I'll even overlook the fact that you think my observation is a personal insult to anyone who's ever owned or worked on an SS, or even that (for whatever reason), that I'm personally insulting everyone on this board by making a casual observation; i.e, Subaru Legacy sport sedans aren't really all that fast... I'll cut and paste some numbers of what I think is "fast" (0-60 in 6 seconds or less, 1/4 times in the low 13's or 12's -see, to me, that's "fast")
Holy freaking way to have a coniption... "dude".
I think the best way for me to end this is to simply appologize for making a somewhat relavent generalization and exit quietly.
I appreciate the breadth of knowledge on this board and, frankly, it's what keep me coming back.
I love my car, I really wish I owned some of your cars :twisted: , and I'll continue to read and learn about them.
Sorry to have caused such a big fuss.
Bob

legacy92ej22t
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by legacy92ej22t »

Well, I really don't think I'm flaming. You posted in two threads about how you think the SS is a slow car. In this thread it wasn't even relavent. Then when I call you out on it you tell me that even without seeing or riding in my car that it isn't fast. You also didn't make a "casual observation". You were making statements as fact and telling me to "face reality dude". I also didn't say that "all SS's are incredibly fast" either. You however are saying that all SS's aren't fast. See the difference? I also don't understand how you can make inflametory comments and then be suprised when someone calls you out on it. 0-60 in under 6 seconds in a SS is super easy too. Hell, you can do that on the stock turbo. I'm not trying to flame on you but your comments are coming across as rude to me. But maybe I'm the only one who see's it that way. I'm also not having a coniption, I'm totally calm and just countering your comments. I'm not jumping up and down screaming at my monitor but I do think that your comments are unfounded and frankly a bit insulting. Like I said before, you've never even rode in a modded SS before and until you do I don't see how you can say they aren't fast. There are SS's that are probably pulling the 1/4 mile numbers you listed too. I really don't want to get in a big hubbabaloo either and if I'm taking your comments way out of context then I apoligize too. I however feel that you're trying to get a rise of the SS community here or you wouldn't have been bringing it up in multiple threads. You can go ahead and call me names again too, I really don't mind, I'm done with it...
-Matt

'96 Outback 5mt.
'07 Legacy 2.5i SE

[quote="Redlined"]
Oh... and I hope the fucker get bunked with Gunter, arrested for raping Gorillas.[/quote]
elkaboom
First Gear

Post by elkaboom »

Okay, I did'nt really want to comment further -i think this thread has been derailed signifigantly already (mostly by me at this point :? ).
Matt: I really, truly, appologize if my statements seem inflamatory. They're not meant to be -I have absolutely no intention or need to do so.
Simply because I don't happen to drive an SS, and don't happen to think they're particularly fast, isn't intended to to be a jibe at the SS community.
I realize that with the right amount of modding, yeah, Legacy SS's can pretty darn zippy, although I doubt we'll be seeing 1/4 mile times in the low 13's or 0-60 times in under 6 seconds on most cars.
I'm not saying it can't be done, but rather the vast majority of people aren't going to see those kind of numbers or the HP gains necessary to get them -or invest the money to get them. Whatever.
Finally, if I come across as rude, well, maybe I am, I dunno. I speak from the heart and I don't BS. When I see a spade, I call it as such.
My comments aren't meant to be derogatory. I appreciate and, hold dear the fact, that we share a mutual love for our cars.
Hell, I wish I owned a stable of them and could make all kinds of modifications at my leisure... maybe someday.
Anyway, sorry for derailing, and please accept my most humble appologies for coming across as "rude". Not my intention.
Bob

legacy92ej22t
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by legacy92ej22t »

Right on, thanks. I'll admit that I may have been a little sensitive on the subject too. I guess we can agree to disagree, huh? ;)

If you lived a bit closer I'd say we could go get a beer, haha, how's that for getting back on topic! :)

If and when I get my new motor in I'll now make it my mission in life to hammer out at least a low 13's 1/4 though! Bwuhahahaha. lol
-Matt

'96 Outback 5mt.
'07 Legacy 2.5i SE

[quote="Redlined"]
mTk
no title

Post by mTk »

sounds like someone needs a drink

MK
1992 BC672 AWD 5MT
Tleg93
Fifth Gear

Post by Tleg93 »

elkaboom wrote:Way to pretend the , "I care" post, Scott... lol No one does. In fact, I think that all non-native customers ought to pay a tax; maybe ~2-3%?
In any event, I'll be waiting to jump the slow ass SS contingent in NE Ohio as they're waiting at the lights around here.
My n/a may be the factory killah that you boost junkies are "fraid" of. Ahh...piss off wankers.
What, me care... hah don't assume that :) . I couldn't care less what someone does to themselves. If a person doesn't know when to quit that's their own business, just don't bring anyone down with you is what I say.

As far as the derailed conversation goes, a car doesn't have to be a rocket to be considered fast. Just like everything there's degrees of detail, it's not a black and white issue like my car's fast and your's is slow if I take you by .1. A long time ago they created these neat things called adjectives. They're amazingly versatile and come with these modifiers that emphasize or de-emphasize their significance. For example, there's slow, very slow, pretty fast, fast, very fast, super fast, and extremely fast. Is that condescending enough?
--Scott--

1991 - Rio Red SS
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

There are different types of fast, too. What I can't hang ith in a straight line can usually be pretty damn frustrated losing me or getting ahead in corners.

Cobras are fast, but they needed the Daytona version to beat the 'slower' Ferraris.

Steve
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

So I'm throwing back a couple Smirnoff Triple Blacks tonight, is that really going back on my promise? :lol:

*Formerly DerFahrer*

BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

elkaboom wrote:0-60 in 6 seconds or less, 1/4 times in the low 13's or 12's -see, to me, that's "fast"
I have a fast SS.
2009 Outback 2.5XT. 5MT. Satin White Pearl.
2009 Impreza 2.5i Premium. Blue.

[quote="scottzg"]...I'm not a fan of the vagina...[/quote][quote="evolutionmovement"]This will all go much easier if people stop doubting me.[/quote]
dzx
Fifth Gear

Post by dzx »

6 seconds seems a little slow to me and not too many cars that do 0-60 in 6 do the quarter mile in low 13's, high 12's.
///M
'93 Legacy SS - part out
Matt Monson
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Re: I'm going booze-less

Post by Matt Monson »

[quote="subyluvr2212"] This isn't an AA meeting in which I'm pledging to turn my life around.
[quote]

This comment is patently ignorant and comes off a little judgmental. As a sober member of AA I take offense to this sort of commentary. Alcoholism is a disease and it is not all about "turning your life around" Many of us are high level managers/business people and function normally in society. The perception that all alcoholics live under bridges and pan handle is total BS...
1974 Porsche 914 Cam Am Limted Edition AKA the Bumble Bee
1973 Porsche 914 2.0 l -Suby swap pending
1968 Porsche 911t survivor 47k original miles
2000 2.5RS daily driver.
1999 2.5RS w/ 50+ extra whp
Suby Hai!
entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

Sorry Matt, didn't mean it that way in the slightest...:(

*Formerly DerFahrer*

snowboarded
Third Gear

Post by snowboarded »

subyluvr2212 wrote:So I'm throwing back a couple Smirnoff Triple Blacks tonight, is that really going back on my promise? :lol:
I don't think so.
Its not like its a regular occurence.

I'm kinda doing the same, too many people I know get stupid when they drink.

That just irritates me because they need it to have fun, or need it to function, haven't figured out which.

But i did have a beer today, only because its a special brew made only once a year.
[quote="Manarius "]Only flamers will get those. [/quote]
[quote="All_talk "]How many WHP will that give me? :)[/quote]

2010 Subaru Impreza 5mt 5 door
G-reg
Second Gear

Post by G-reg »

Yaaaaaaaaar I' Be stealin' this ear thread back now. A few summers ago I took part in a medical study (I'm a whore). And part of it was that you could not drink caffeine or alcohol for three months. And after a while I didn't miss either. You don't really know how bad both are for you until you stop. Soda ate my teeth, and booze just got me in trouble. But as others have mentioned, I'm a sucker for a GOOD beer nowadays. And I don’t do that too often since that is hard to come by around these parts, I was spoiled in Ft. Collins. I'm also terminally a goofball/jackass and can get along with drunken people just fine.
Missing a 92 L Wagon, Enjoying an 05 RS Wagon
Matt Monson
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by Matt Monson »

subyluvr2212 wrote:Sorry Matt, didn't mean it that way in the slightest...:(
Thank you. I appreciate that. I just find so much prejudicial mis-information about AA in the media and society at large that I have a hard time letting something like that slide past. But then I would have had a similar reaction if the thread had read,
" I am starting a Roth Ira, but this doesn't mean I have become Jewish and am going to grub money. I just want your advice on which funds to invest in" :lol: And I am not even Jewish...

I just prefer when topics bring us together rather than separate us. Thanks again for being sensitive to my sensitivities... 8)
2000 2.5RS daily driver.
Suby Hai!
entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

You'll have to forgive me Matt, but I am actually pretty ignorant of the alcoholic way of life. I've NEVER seen anyone in my family get drunk, ever, period, besides me. And my incident was once and only, I never wanna have a hangover like that again :?

It is definitely true that the portrayal of AA meetings in movies or whatever makes everyone look like a bunch of wife-beating bums with 8th grade educations. It can be hard to realize otherwise when you've never seen it.

*Formerly DerFahrer*

Matt Monson
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by Matt Monson »

AA spans the whole spectrum. My home group in Boulder runs the gammut from bums living under bridges to olympic gold medalists, and everything in between. My sponsor played pro ball with the Packers and Vince Lombardi, and has a 1963 world championship ring to proove it. I have met a number of rock stars, movie stars and prominent (and sometimes famous) businessmen in my travels through the halls of AA. And I have also met some real nut jobs, regular joes, and good old white, black and brown trash. Alcoholism knows no boundary of race. color or social strata. And of course, out of respect, I can't give you any actual names, since that is the anonymity part of it...
2000 2.5RS daily driver.
Suby Hai!
206er
Fifth Gear

Post by 206er »

G-reg wrote:Yaaaaaaaaar I' Be stealin' this ear thread back now. I was spoiled in Ft. Collins.
Yeah, we really do have some great beer here. New belgium, Coopersmiths, etc etc.
man, you guys make me feel like a huge drunk. I drink a few beers most nights that I dont have to work or study, on fridays and such its more like 10. I usually drink PBR or New Belgium 1554(GREAT dark beer BTW) if Im feeling spendy. maybe a side pocket 40oz if Im extra broke right then.
I dont usually drink hard alcohol, just never was my style.
1994 Touring Wagon: ruby mica, 5mt swapped