spinning the tires in the rain?

Subaru-related topics that don't belong anywhere else...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

magicmike
Fifth Gear

spinning the tires in the rain?

Post by magicmike »

can you awd turboed guys spin your tires in the rain? I cant seem to get my car to break lose. I even tried on the wet grass at work and it just took off, I did not feel any slip what so ever. I cant tell if its working real good or the car is just plain weak
-Mike

2011 Infiniti G37x Sedan - Current
2007 Ducati 800ss - Current
1994 Subaru Legacy Sport Wagon (White)
1994 Subaru Legacy Sport Wagon (Silver)
2003 Infiniri G35
1998 Infiniti I30t
1995 Honda Civic DX
1987 Subaru GL Wagon
1987 Subaru Loyale
LegacyT
Fourth Gear

Post by LegacyT »

wet pavement no, wet grass hell ya, the tires should spin like crazy.

Mark
1991 Turbo Sedan, Aspen White 5MT, Sold RIP
1994 Turbo Sedan, Crimson Pearl 5MT, from British Columbia-no rust!
TheSubaruJunkie
Fourth Gear

Post by TheSubaruJunkie »

Yesterday on wet pavement i was everywhere. I have a '92 Turbo with an open rear end. And it has cheap 195/60R15's on it. Ontop of breaking loose, i can also understeer like a mofo too.

-Brian
1983 Subaru GL-10 Brat
1986 Toyota 4Runner
LegacyT
Fourth Gear

Post by LegacyT »

Are we talking about having the tires spin at a stanstill, or breaking the car loose as in taking a turn on wet pavement.

Mark,
1991 Turbo Sedan, Aspen White 5MT, Sold RIP
1994 Turbo Sedan, Crimson Pearl 5MT, from British Columbia-no rust!
magicmike
Fifth Gear

Post by magicmike »

stand still
-Mike

2003 Infiniri G35
1998 Infiniti I30t
1995 Honda Civic DX
1987 Subaru GL Wagon
1987 Subaru Loyale
georryan
Fourth Gear

Post by georryan »

I find that it is a lot harder to spin my tires than Brian (Subarujunkie). I think it is all the LSD for me. I have been able to if I get on it in a sharp turn. I'm even able to throw my back end out real nice. I've noticed once when I was making a right hand turn at a light, that when I floored it I felt the front shutter and realized that I actually got the front wheels to slip and i don't think the back ones were. That was a weird feeling. It didn't last long and I've only done it once.

Generally speaking though, it is fairly hard to get he wheels to slip for me.

I've never done it from a standstill, straight take-off. I don't think our cars have the power or the clutch grip to do it stock. That's my opinion.
91 Pearl White Sport Sedan
04 Java Black Pearl Forester XT
2014 Volvo S60 T5
18 KTM 1290 Adventure S

87 Grey GL-10 Sedan (so long old buddy) - donated
97 Toyota 4Runner SR5 - sold
2002 BMW r1150rt-p - sold
2004 BMW r1200ST - sold
2016 BMW r1200RS - sold
THAWA
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by THAWA »

If I can do it, you can do it, either load the engine up with an auto and let off real quick, or dump the clutch at like 5k, having bad tires really helps. Can't smoke em but I used to could get a chirp. Not that I advocate this kind of stuff or anything :)
Rio Red 90 Legacy LS AWD 174k
Liquid Silver 92 SVX LS-L 88k
[url=http://folding.amdmbpond.com/FoldingForOurFuture.html]Do you fold?[/url]

I'm on First and First. How can the same street intersect with itself? I must be at the nexus of the universe.
TheSubaruJunkie
Fourth Gear

I can peel out from a stand still, on pavement, dirt, ice, water, snow... mostly cause my tires suck.

With the heavy rain we got last night, i felt unsafe. Probably cuase the front end on my car is all screwed up.

-Brian
1983 Subaru GL-10 Brat
1986 Toyota 4Runner
douglas vincent
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by douglas vincent »

Are you still driving that wrecked POS?!?!!? Look out for the Bumper Police!

I did an awesome (for me at least) burnout on Saturday night in Lincoln City on the Oregon coast. I was coming out of a movie theater parking lot in the Wet and dumped it and the tires lit up and started squealing just like I was driving an old FWD. Then about 2 seconds later all the tires hooked up and ended the fun.
Reddevil, Awaiting new heart, will it ever happen?
1990 wagon, EJ25 12.3 @ 116.5 FAST Family wagon getting new motor soon
1992 wagon, wifes daily, high compression
1992 Touring wagon, should I keep it?
magicmike
Fifth Gear

Post by magicmike »

douglas vincent wrote:Are you still driving that wrecked POS?!?!!? Look out for the Bumper Police!
Are you seriously bustin my balls?

If so thats not nice and thats not what this board is about. If your joking put a winky thing on it so I know.
-Mike

2003 Infiniri G35
1998 Infiniti I30t
1995 Honda Civic DX
1987 Subaru GL Wagon
1987 Subaru Loyale
georryan
Fourth Gear

Post by georryan »

His reply was to Subarujunkie.

Oh and my post was all related to wet pavement. I've never chirped my tires, even my RE92's on dry. Of course, I've never dumped my clutch at 5 grand either.
2014 Volvo S60 T5
18 KTM 1290 Adventure S

2004 BMW r1200ST - sold
2016 BMW r1200RS - sold
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

In the dry I can feel the rear end get twitchy around a sharp turn if I'm in the throttle. That's more then likely due to the LSD. However I was pretty amazed at how much grip the car has even in the wet.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
mTk
no title

Post by mTk »

from a standstill my leg could break the tires on dry pavement. Drop the clutch around 4k

MK
1992 BC672 AWD 5MT
magicmike
Fifth Gear

Post by magicmike »

I actually have an auto...I did a brake stand, got the turbo spooled up and the rpms to about 3 k and let off the brakes. I heard a chirp for a second and it took off. it wasn't bad
-Mike

2003 Infiniri G35
1998 Infiniti I30t
1995 Honda Civic DX
1987 Subaru GL Wagon
1987 Subaru Loyale
georryan
Fourth Gear

Post by georryan »

I'm way too scared to drop the clutch at 4k. Maybe I'm just scared of hurting my tranny. I would just hate to drop it and have nothing happen.
2014 Volvo S60 T5
18 KTM 1290 Adventure S

2004 BMW r1200ST - sold
2016 BMW r1200RS - sold
TheSubaruJunkie
Fourth Gear

Yeah, its not my tranny im affraid of... its the CV's. On the rain its a different story, but I like to try to break them loose into a turn and try to get a slide out of the deal. But usually i just end up gassing it, and understeering into thing's.

And yes Douglas, im still driving that POS. But planning on replacing it with a RX. The lighter body of the RX should make it easier to control, and the LSD should change things a bit too.

-Brian
1983 Subaru GL-10 Brat
1986 Toyota 4Runner
Brat4by4
Stratified

Post by Brat4by4 »

I can get my front tires to squeal day or night on any pavement. In the rain, it sort of depends on the tires you have. But I could get all four to spin in the wet with my 712's or my Re730's (or whatever potenza number they are...). Sometimes it just likes to break the front tires loose so bad that it will start to wheel hop, which sounds horrendous. Other times I can get the back end to step out, which is fun.

And, yes, I think the clutch has a lot to do with it. You just can't put down too much pressure on an organic clutch disc before it starts slipping out of control.

Edited for more correct Potenza designation.
1993 WMP BC6 5MT EJ22T 9psi 3.9:1 213k 205/55R16

62.6 m/s @ 0.66 bar. Gotta love boost. :)
entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

There's a surplus shop where I get all my bolts and misc stuff from, and to exit it, you have to go about 50ft then turn around. I am usually around 3500 in 1st by the time I get to it, and it's so fun to punch the gas at the apex and hear my back inside tire squeal a bit.

No LSD is fun in the dry :D

I have never dropped the clutch, the worst I've done is take off real fast at about 3k, put all the stress on the clutch instead of the tranny.
2000 Subaru Legacy B4 RSK

"Der Wahnsinn ist nur eine schmale Brücke/die Ufer sind Vernunft und Trieb"

*Formerly DerFahrer*

@entirelyturbo on social media, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok
tris91ricer
Title Whore

Post by tris91ricer »

yeah.. I'm kinda scared for me tranny, too.. I don't wanna ruin it just for a moment of fun.. doesn't seem worth it. Maybe after i get it checked out..
i can get some wheel hop out of it, though, but that's when i'm coming into traffic from a raised inlet.. (that make sense) I can only get the front wheels to spin though, and i think that's when the tranny is tryna shift gears to catch up with me.. its got some kinda lag on it, where the RPMs get up high, but there's no input until a second later. mostly only in 2, though.. can't recall doing this in 1.
1 is me power gear..
[b]'92 L Sedan[/b]
EJ20g 4.11 5sp LSD

[quote]e46 owners tend to be twats.
[/quote]
azn2nr
Fifth Gear

Post by azn2nr »

in the wet like today, if i floor it the front spinns pretty bad. it doesnt seem like all of them spinn at the same time tho. on occasion they all light up and it crabwalks and i can turn the wheel any direction i want and it just goes stright. this is wet of course.

as for dry i can get them chirp and spin on occasion depending on the intersection and what pavement type im on. i also have crap for tires.

as for breaking loose the rear end (which i hate to do) going into a turn at a considerable speed letting off the gas as i turn in and punching it works farily well. that and stiffing out the rear struts works too (agxs)
-jason
[quote="Scoobyniteowl"] Chasin' @$$ is a great form of exercise and if you do get any, then that is more exercise[/quote]
scottzg
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by scottzg »

Brat4by4 wrote:Sometimes it just likes to break the front tires loose so bad that it will start to wheel hop, which sounds horrendous. Other times I can get the back end to step out, which is fun.
How is that possible with a 5mt awd?

I have burnt all the way through a 5 lane intersection in the rain before. I can't remember what the rpm was, it was pretty high. I dont do it, really, it's not that fun and i dont need a blowed up tranny.

My bmw could sit and burn rubber in the wet without me even trying. I'd start, not move anywhere, floor it, and realize i was sliding. Funny, in retrospect, but kinda scary at the time.
[url=http://www.thawa.net/gallery/albums/album108/DSCF0330.jpg]90 legacy of awesomeness[/url]
dzx
Fifth Gear

Post by dzx »

I was able to chirp my 17x7 proxes toyo's but it was from a really hard launch, after that i decided it best if i didn't launch like that again.
It was following launching techniques on clubwrx.net, keep rpm around 3k till your ready then just slam the accelerator and let off the clutch. Don't know the life of the tranny if you keep it up tho.
Last edited by dzx on Thu Dec 02, 2004 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
///M
'93 Legacy SS - part out
Brat4by4
Stratified

Post by Brat4by4 »

scottzg wrote:How is that possible with a 5mt awd?
The center differential isn't that strong and the spin happens pretty quick, not really long enough for the center diff to even react.

If you want to launch your car, never ever ever drop the clutch! Here is how you do it: First you choose a launching RPM, 3k would be on the low side. You hold the car at that RPM then slightly engage the clutch, enough to get the car moving a foot or two. The split second that the car starts roling then you just let the clutch up progressively & quickly. And I mean let it up relatively quick, don't side step it. If you do it correctly you can put a car length or maybe 2 on any car just in first gear. And when doing this process the car slips the clutch a lot... don't try this with a weak clutch. I have a clutch that can take it, be careful with the organic discs. There is no shock to the drivetrain because the clutch takes the abuse. I have chirped my front tires launching at the drag strip (2.1 seconds flat, less if I had more hp :( ) and AutoX doing this.
1993 WMP BC6 5MT EJ22T 9psi 3.9:1 213k 205/55R16

62.6 m/s @ 0.66 bar. Gotta love boost. :)
scottzg
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by scottzg »

Wierd, thanks. I've only had a handful of hard launches w/o slipping the clutch. Haven't noticed this phenomenon
[url=http://www.thawa.net/gallery/albums/album108/DSCF0330.jpg]90 legacy of awesomeness[/url]
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

Brat 4X4 has that launch technique right. I've done it a few times to beat someone off the lights when I was in the wrong lane. Just lift enough for it to engage and come off quick (but don't jump) while gassing it. My regular clutch seems to take the few imes I've done it, but then my car has no balls either.

Steve
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.