My book—Midnight in a Perfect World

This is for non-Subaru related topics. Keep it realistic please.

Moderator: Moderators

skid542
Fifth Gear

Post by skid542 »

I was wondering if there was any new news?

Also, are you still liking your Mazda Steve?
Lee

93' SS, 5mt swapped, 182k, not stock...
96' N/A OBW 5sp, 212k, Couple mods... RIP
99' N/A OBW, 4eat, mostly stock.
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

Yeah, I've been meaning to update and I suppose being home with the flu is the perfect time.

The contract the publisher sent would make the one that had Prince change his name to a stupid symbol look reasonable. They want the right to do adaptations, abridgements, international dist., etc. This may not be so bad if I wasn't paying good money for it to begin with and I even came up with the cover design! So like any good control freak or totalatarian wannabe I'm going to do the whole thing alone, including maybe setting up a dummy publishing company to cover the 4-digit publisher ID on the ISBN (I'm thinking something like New World Order or Dark World View Entertainment). I'm not sure if it's necessary, but it might be fun. I need to find a reputable copyediting service and get some samples from printers. I'm waiting for my friend from Simon & Schuster to get back to me on if he knows anyone, but he's doing some solo Euro tour he likely won't come back from since he shoots his mouth off more than I do.

I still have to get back to the publisher with my views out of courtesy, but I need to wait for my voice to return since I sound one step removed from a stoma-guy's electronic voice box.

It's coming ... eventually.

The Mazda's pretty nice - great car for the money. I should do a detailed review.

Steve
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
skid542
Fifth Gear

Post by skid542 »

Sounds like it's still making progress. Sucks about the publisher wanting to do all that stuff, boo.... You've gone through an awful lot to produce a quality novel, it should be published as you intended. If you do have to do your own publishing company, I like Dark World View Entertainment better :). And goodluck with S&S and to your friend too...

Glad you're enjoying the Mazda. My brother has gone camping a few times and pushed the limits a little hard a couple times and is still extremely happy with his. He'd agree, great car for the money.

Edit : I realized I forgot to wish you good health.
Lee

evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Thanks, just a mild case of SARS ... or maybe it's avian flu ... I'll get better.

Steve
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
206er
Fifth Gear

Post by 206er »

hey, post up when midnight in a perfect world is available. I'd like to get a copy.
1994 Touring Wagon: ruby mica, 5mt swapped
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Contract signed and going out. May get distribution at Barnes and Noble. Illustrator has already started on my Aidan Hughes ('Brute')-inspired cover art. I may comission Hughes himself depending on how it goes. Here's to hoping I offend lots of people. They probably deserve it anyway.

I'll have 950 copies to distribute so autographs and junk will be no problem.

Talk about an epic journey. Rome may not have been built in a day, but I think they got the Forum up quicker. Still, I guess there are plenty of people that take even longer so I shouldn't complain. Doesn't mean I won't complain, but I shouldn't. Actually, at this point, I really don't have anything to complain about. I need to find something so I can start writing again!
0perose
Third Gear

Post by 0perose »

I want an autographed copy so I can sell it on ebay when you're famous ftw!

(actually I'm very interested in reading the book, the plot tempts me)
yo mang, can I get a rootshell?

1991 N/A, 4eat, crazy lights, junk suspension, sticker wagon
1989 xt6 work in progress
entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

w00t! Can't wait! :D
2000 Subaru Legacy B4 RSK

"Der Wahnsinn ist nur eine schmale Brücke/die Ufer sind Vernunft und Trieb"

*Formerly DerFahrer*

@entirelyturbo on social media, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Strong work, my friend!
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
skid542
Fifth Gear

Post by skid542 »

Congratulations Steve, seriously, that's is amazing. I knew it'd happen though :).
Lee

Binford
Third Gear

Post by Binford »

Oh yeah, I'd be up for a signed copy! I've read enough about it in the last two years I've been around here that I've got to read this! How much?
'91 5MT SS-TD04, WRX TMIC, Bosal twin dump, Spec LW flywheel/pressure plate, FCD, Walbro fuel pump-RIP
'93 5MT N/A wagon, over 400,000 miles!-Gone, parts lived on
'94 Auto SS-vf24, WRX TMIC, Bosal twin dump, Meth kit coming soon!-Now RWD!
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

No solid pricing yet, but we were talking around $14 or so. Trade paperback pricing, basically. It'll be 5 x 8. I'm thinking of doing a discount to LCO members since you've all been subjected to my shameless plugging this whole time. I need to see what I can get away with discounting them to.
skid542
Fifth Gear

Post by skid542 »

I don't think I speak just for myself here Steve, but I'd be happy to pay full price and keep your profit margins high. Though I appreciate the gesture. I just want it autographed :).
Lee

entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

skid542 wrote:I don't think I speak just for myself here Steve, but I'd be happy to pay full price and keep your profit margins high. Though I appreciate the gesture. I just want it autographed :).
+1. Same here.
2000 Subaru Legacy B4 RSK

"Der Wahnsinn ist nur eine schmale Brücke/die Ufer sind Vernunft und Trieb"

*Formerly DerFahrer*

@entirelyturbo on social media, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok
corsair
Third Gear

Post by corsair »

1 Autographed and a few unsigned copies for distribution to friends and family please!

Can't wait Steve, should be awesome.
Sam
'93 L AWD Wagon
'08 Honda Civic Si Sedan
Subtle
Third Gear

Post by Subtle »

Sign me up.

By the way, Rome was not built in a day---it just looks that way :?
Subtle (normally aspirated engines suck):
05 Legacy GT Wagon with Cobb chip.
62 Alfa Romeo Spider- had a 1.6 L with 80 hp, now 2 L with 160 torque. Curb weight 2050 lbs.
93 Leg Twgn fmic, vf34, etc. ((sold))
free5ty1e
Fifth Gear

Post by free5ty1e »

I'll take one too... signed of course. Congrats on the contract! :)
-Chris
91SS 4EAT stock
91SS 5MT awaiting engine rebuild and VF36...
92SS 4EAT - RIP :(
94SS 5MT4.11+rLSD 289k km: RobTune550,TD05-16g @ 18psi,FMIC,3"TBE,Forester lift
wiscon_mark
Fourth Gear

Post by wiscon_mark »

oooh, I'd like to read this! When can I expect to see it on Shelves @ B&N?
[url=http://www.sl-i.net/FORUM/viewtopic.php?t=486]1995 Legacy Outback 5MT[/url]
185,000 miles
www.sl-i.net (for all Legacys!)
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Book needs to be produced first, which takes a couple months. It needs copyediting, proofreading, interior and cover design, to be printed, and then sent out. I have no idea how long it will be from there for Barnes & Noble to get them if they end up ordering them at the stores. At any rate, you'll be able to order it anywhere, even internationally.
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

For those still interested all this time later...

So production starts Monday! (which means editing and all that stuff).

I'm planning a series of short films to go with it that I'll put up on You Tube or wherever I can weasel them to. The director, Lisa Needham, did the video The Weakest Shade of Blue for the Pernice Brothers that played on MTV. You can see it on their website. It's a goofy fight between ballerinas and karate kids. Though, she'd probably be pissed if that's all I credited her for since she didn't have complete control on the video, so she's also done some low-budget horror movies. She's also the girl on the video sitting on the wall smoking (though she hates smoking, go figure).

I have her reading the book to see what she comes up with for ideas that are achievable with nearly no budget and limited human availability/capability so no fetish sex scenes, exploding Ford LTDs, molotov cocktails, or death-defying chases through west-coast cities or New England woods. However, I will try my best to have a body count on at least a couple of them. I don't think that will be a problem as she loves violence in film.

Oh, yeah, she's pretty hot too. And interesting, and funny, and has no problem telling people what she thinks.

...OK, moving on - so as far as setting up a webpage, the guy I was recommended to hasn't returned my call. Either he got scared off or missed the message. I'll give him another shot.

I'm also going to be leaving teaser messages on any money I get before I spend it, but that will be when the book's actually out.

Fingers crossed for Christmas, and what an appropriate gift it'll be! Buy the kids a copy, they'll love it!

www.penworkspublishers.com
skid542
Fifth Gear

Post by skid542 »

Glad to hear that progress is still progressing. Sounds like it won't be long before we get our copies :-D. How many videos are you making?
Lee

0perose
Third Gear

Post by 0perose »

sweet.

keep us "in the know"
yo mang, can I get a rootshell?

1991 N/A, 4eat, crazy lights, junk suspension, sticker wagon
1989 xt6 work in progress
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

I don't know how many yet. Just two video ideas so far.
Subtle
Third Gear

Post by Subtle »

Looking forward to reading it.

Will Buy two at list--let me know how to order when the time comes. :-)
Subtle (normally aspirated engines suck):
05 Legacy GT Wagon with Cobb chip.
62 Alfa Romeo Spider- had a 1.6 L with 80 hp, now 2 L with 160 torque. Curb weight 2050 lbs.
93 Leg Twgn fmic, vf34, etc. ((sold))
wiscon_mark
Fourth Gear

Post by wiscon_mark »

I'm going to get one when it comes out as well :)
[url=http://www.sl-i.net/FORUM/viewtopic.php?t=486]1995 Legacy Outback 5MT[/url]
185,000 miles
www.sl-i.net (for all Legacys!)