Gas Mileage

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

What is your average MPG per tank?

Less then 21
40%
21 - 23
17%
23 - 26
24%
26 +
19%

Total votes: 90

scottzg
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Gas Mileage

Post by scottzg »

I just did some all freeway driving, and i got 410 miles on my tank of gas. I was using 87 and averaging about 80-85 mph the whole time. That works out to about 25mpg. Is that about what everyone else is getting? I have a manual NA sedan.

Oh, and this is added, i get about 360 city, that works out to be 22.5.
Last edited by scottzg on Wed May 28, 2003 1:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
[url=http://www.thawa.net/gallery/albums/album108/DSCF0330.jpg]90 legacy of awesomeness[/url]
JasonGrahn
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by JasonGrahn »

That's pretty good for that speed.

If you're thinking about moving your gas milage up, pick up lighter wheels, a 1 piece aluminum driveshaft (or carbon fiber! yeah!!), and gut the interior. Maybe then you'd get 30.

hehehehe
-Jason Grahn
scottzg
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by scottzg »

i doubt any of those things would increase my mpg by 1 on the freeway. Once you have your equipment rotating, it doesnt matter how heavy it is, the only thing that harms you is friction. Thats wind resistance and parastitic losses from the drivetrain. Gutting the interior would help in that there would be less weight on the wheels, but the car wouldnt notice it, the difference would be too small.

what would help is to lube everything, use a light weight oil, low rolling resistance tires, fwd, have a sedan, disconnect the AC, etc.

I was just wondering if that was normal. I had a mechanic (that i don't trust) tell me that i had a failing cat, and a long stint at high rpm would definately make the cat be noticed. Also, its just a poll, im wondering how those 17psi guys do.
[url=http://www.thawa.net/gallery/albums/album108/DSCF0330.jpg]90 legacy of awesomeness[/url]
91White-T
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by 91White-T »

You should be very happy... I'm lucky if I get over 17mpg... :lol:
98 Ford Contour V6 24V 5MT
98 Chevy Camaro Z28 LS1 6MT
91 Rio Red SS 5MT Sold
91 Flat Black Wagon L+ 4EAT RIP
91 Pearl White SS 4EAT RIP
JasonGrahn
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by JasonGrahn »

BAM! Poll added.

:lol:
-Jason Grahn
ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by ciper »

I didnt expect to improve mileage but after upgrading my ignition system I improved about 6.5%

I drive at 80 mph with many full throttle passes and about 10% city driving and Im getting 21mpg. The slower I drive on the highway and the more cruise control I use the better.

Edit the poll to have three, 21-23 and 24+
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

my mileage sucks.......21 mpg in the city....if that.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
mTk
no title

Post by mTk »

I get horrible mileage, mostly city, i'd say 21 is the best i get. Just got a new O2 sensor in today, my old one was throwing CELs, so i hope it helps.

MK
1992 BC672 AWD 5MT
Slick1100
First Gear

Post by Slick1100 »

I do almost all highway, usually in the 65-80mph range, and I get 26mpg and above. I've got a '90 LS sedan, AWD, NA with all-season tires, MRT full exhaust system, and K&N air filter. This includes going over a small mountain everyday too. A/C takes a bite out, but my mileage has never gone below 24.

Rob
Slick1100
First Gear

Post by Slick1100 »

BTW, I use 89 octane, and nothing less. Might make a difference.
entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

My car is weird. I've gotten as good as a 26 average MPG on one tank and as bad as 19 average MPG on another tank. However, since I actually think I can tell a difference between open-loop and closed-loop, (car feels faster and smoother in open-loop, or when cold), I wonder if my O2 sensor might be on the fritz, maybe the ECU closes the loop and the sensor starts dumping way too much fuel in it.

I should check my spark plugs and see how carbon-gunked they are...
2000 Subaru Legacy B4 RSK

"Der Wahnsinn ist nur eine schmale Brücke/die Ufer sind Vernunft und Trieb"

*Formerly DerFahrer*

@entirelyturbo on social media, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

I don't have specific numbers handy, but I do remember getting an extra mile or so per gallon after upgrading my stock ignition system with an MSD DIS-2, Magnecor wires, NGK copper plugs, and a Diamond coil pack.

The way you drive can make a big difference in your highway mileage. A lot of the time even on the highway I'm continuously varying my speed just to deal with traffic, so I'm accelerating a lot. That takes a big bite out of the mileage.

It's actually not always true anymore that A/C hurts gas mileage. Most modern A/C compressors hurt mileage less than the extra drag of open windows.

Subarus have never been really good with fuel mileage. They're fairly heavy, especially with AWD systems, and the AWD systems also have a good deal of parasitic losses. The boxer fours are great for torque, not for fuel economy.

I remember many years ago when I was in the U.K. I picked up a copy of Top Gear magazine at a train station. It's a really cool magazine! That issue was one where they teamed up with J.D. Power to do a study on what cars people were happiest owning. Apparently before that year the Subaru Legacy had held the top ranking, but that year it fell to second. The Impreza took first. :) But to get back to the point -- it received a 5 out of 5 in all the subcategories except fuel economy, where it got a 2 or something.
eastbaysubaru
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by eastbaysubaru »

Time to bring up a dead horse!

My mileage has been horrible lately. I'm not sure if my dying auto tranny is to blame, but I'm wondering what other things I should look at as the culprit. I'm currently getting ~160 to a tank. Barely above 10 mpg. Any thoughts guys?

-Brian
'04 PSM FXT
JasonGrahn
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by JasonGrahn »

wow, that's pretty crappy.

how long has it been for general maintenence? plugs, filter, etc?
-Jason Grahn
Dr Nick
Second Gear

Post by Dr Nick »

eastbaysubaru wrote:I'm currently getting ~160 to a tank. Barely above 10 mpg. Any thoughts guys?

-Brian
I haven't had this problem with my Legacy Turbo (I get around 24mpg (imperial not US) in town and 28ish on a run) but my previous Ford Sierra XR4x4 (see http://www.fasterfords.dk/other/The%20s ... 0range.htm - scroll right down) had a SERIOUS mpg problem after water got sucked into the intake knocking out the injection metering - I was down to 9mpg on a run... :shock:
- Rob

1992 Legacy Turbo Estate (Wagon) / 5MT / 186k miles. [url]http://www.griggs-taylor.co.uk/legacy.html[/url]
1986 Suzuki GSX-R400 / 6MT / 43k km. [url]http://www.griggs-taylor.co.uk/mybike.html[/url]
eastbaysubaru
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by eastbaysubaru »

I've done plugs/filters in the last 6 months. It's been crappy mileage for a while, I've just recently started trying to figure out why.

-Brian
'04 PSM FXT
Dave G
First Gear

Post by Dave G »

I get 17 mpg local and 25 highway on my 94 Sport Sedan. Funny thing is, that is almost exactly the same as my supercharged Pontiac Gran Prix, my Taurus SHO, and my turbochareged Dodge Daytona used to get.
legacy92ej22t
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by legacy92ej22t »

My mileage sucks most of the time but it's my own fault.I can't believe how fast I go through a tank but I drive hard.iluv2xlr8.on the other side when cruising on interstate on a road trips I can't believe how good the mileage is.don't really know any #'s though If I had to guess I'd say 16-17 city maybe 24-25 highway.thats just a guess though
-Matt

'92 SS 5mt. All go and no show. Sold :(
'94 Audi UrS4 Modded (new project)
'96 Outback 5mt.
'07 Legacy 2.5i SE

[quote="Redlined"]
Oh... and I hope the fucker get bunked with Gunter, arrested for raping Gorillas.[/quote]
kip
In Neutral

21mpg

Post by kip »

I drive a roundtrip of 70 miles a day almost all freeway at about 80mph. I get 21mpg consistently. Doesn't matter if I feather it or hammer on it. I thought that kind of sucked until I started looking at new cars. Anything with AWD and any power gets about the same mileage.
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

I get 25 highway @ 80-85, ~21 @ 100 w/ A/C (through Nebraska), and 28 @ 65 (I can't believe I was actually able to go that slow, but there was a girl in the car who i don't want to know I'm a maniac). Of course, my car's a sissy fwd.
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
lgyee4
In Neutral

My car drinks

Post by lgyee4 »

My gas milage is lousy :( I've never gotten close to the numbers that I've seen posted, (except eastbaysubaru's). around town, maybe 230-240 miles to a tank. on the open road, maybe 280. I think the thing is my right foot likes to see the boost needle on the positive side.
1993 Turbo Wagon Stock w/turbo back 3"exh, KYB's
123c
Second Gear

Post by 123c »

My brother's averages about 26mpg, when I get one I am hoping for the same mileage...
[color=red][b]1993 Subaru BC Turbo Legacy (193k miles)
1971 VW Super Beetle
1989 Honda Elite 50
[/color][/b]
whippet
In Neutral

Post by whippet »

With my 90 LS sedan 5 speed going to work and back 70 miles round trip I get 28 - 30 mpg @ 70 mph. With my 94 sport sedan 5 speed I get around 24 -25 on the highway @ 70 mph. In town the sport sedan is much lower due to the temptation of kicking in the turbo just too much fun.
mTk
no title

Post by mTk »

So far gas mileage w/ turbo AWD 5mt is 20mpg, 85% city driving.

MK
1992 BC672 AWD 5MT
Mr.Pessimist
First Gear

Post by Mr.Pessimist »

I usually get about 26-27 mpg around town, sometimes a little less. On the highway I dont really know as well...since I havent done a long trip with the suby for a while. I would imagine quite a bit more.
~Ross
1993 FWD 5MT Green NA Legacy