thought I'd introduce myself

This is for non-Subaru related topics. Keep it realistic please.

Moderator: Moderators

Kelly
Fourth Gear

thought I'd introduce myself

Post by Kelly »

Hi, I'm the tech at Rallitek. I recently purchased a 91 turbo Leg, and started checking out the forums here. We all know that the aftermarket industry has forgotten about these things, but since I wont be happy without putting down 300whp, there are some things I'll need to fabricate.

What are some peices you guys need? I figure putting together a whole TMIC "kit" would be a good place to start. But what else would people be interested in having fabricated? so insted of me just "one offing" I'll make a few of em at a time.

kelly
czo79
Second Gear

Post by czo79 »

WoW Kelly!
What a awesome job you must have...
Anyways, I bet you are going to get a lot of very happy responses for this post. There are a lot of really dedicated enthusiasts here and its a small and totally neglected market. A lot of people here have done some really great diy and custom fabricated stuff because that was the only way to do things, at least without sourcing expensive hard to find parts from overseas. Well, a very cool offer of you, glad you here.
As I already have a wrx slant IC and mrt alloy IC pipe, I'm ok in that department. But I certainly want a real cold air intake, probably sourcing air from the fender? I think a lot of others would be down for that. I guess IC is the 2st prob. people have, cause theres no off the shelf setup, at least air/air. And then probably exhaust, same deal, no off the shelf turbo back. Other suby ones can easily be modified. Then I think the problem we all really run up against is engine management. With those things taken care off, this engine is good to go, everthy else is pretty easy to find. Sorry for the book!
thanks
Micum
Micum
91 Legacy Turbo Sport - 94 JDM EJ20G
97 Legacy 2.5 GT - mod'd
93 Impreza L AWD (sold)
97 Legacy 2.5 GT (deceased)
98 Legacy Outback (sold)
mTk
no title

Post by mTk »

Welcome!

I'll have to agree with the cold air intake, and with the TMIC kit. Maybe also a kit that makes it easy to upgrade to one of the plethora of wrx upgraded turbos?

MK
1992 BC672 AWD 5MT
legacy92ej22t
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by legacy92ej22t »

czo79 wrote: And then probably exhaust, same deal, no off the shelf turbo back.
Actually CES Racing offers 2 bolt on turbo-back exhaust systems for the Legacy Turbo and Liberty/Legacy RS's. They are very expensive, top off the line systems however. It would be nice to see a less expensive option out there too. :D Tmic setup with compressor outlet to ic piping options for both the stock turbo and after market WRX turbos (VF30,34,23,22 ect.)
would be really cool. True cold air intake into fender well would really be nice too. A reasonably priced ECU option like reflashing or piggy backing would be really, really cool. I really want computer tuning options that aren't going to cost me thousands of dollars.
-Matt

'92 SS 5mt. All go and no show. Sold :(
'94 Audi UrS4 Modded (new project)
'96 Outback 5mt.
'07 Legacy 2.5i SE

[quote="Redlined"]
Oh... and I hope the fucker get bunked with Gunter, arrested for raping Gorillas.[/quote]
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Kelly,

Please resize your avatar to a more appropriate size.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
Kelly
Fourth Gear

Post by Kelly »

done sir 8)
THAWA
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by THAWA »

I know it's not really performance related but you could fab some new headlights, maybe with hid or whatever, or maybe just a better looking style, not sure how many people would buy them though. What about fmic ideas? Or for the N/A guys a supercharger kit? *hint hint*
Rio Red 90 Legacy LS AWD 174k
Liquid Silver 92 SVX LS-L 88k
[url=http://folding.amdmbpond.com/FoldingForOurFuture.html]Do you fold?[/url]

I'm on First and First. How can the same street intersect with itself? I must be at the nexus of the universe.
Kelly
Fourth Gear

Post by Kelly »

New headlights are deffinatelly on my "to do" list, I was alreay starting to source projectors, and was thinking of a quad setup. some snorkel intakes are deffinatelly on the list as well. I have always liked the idea of pulling air from the fender, instead of the bay.

I probably wont be playing with any Superchargers just because I have much more access to turbos, and related parts for them.

As far as exhaust goes, I've got some used STI systems laying around that I'll probably frankenstein a bit. There around 2.75 in. I think, and might be a very cost effective soloution.

FMIC's will be down the road due to the expense of the coolers themselves, but eventually I'll make a kit, for both the top mount, and FMIC.

thanks for the input guys
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

I'd definitely be interested in headlights :)
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
91White-T
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by 91White-T »

How about some sort of relocator kit for the coolant tank, maybe just a bracket that bolts somewhere far away from TMICs, and I'm sure a lot of people would be interested in a somewhat "bolt on" TMIC kit, with all the neccesary piping.
98 Ford Contour V6 24V 5MT
98 Chevy Camaro Z28 LS1 6MT
91 Rio Red SS 5MT Sold
91 Flat Black Wagon L+ 4EAT RIP
91 Pearl White SS 4EAT RIP
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

With regard to the headlights, the best thing to do would probably be to build a headlight housing that can hold four Hella 90mm lamps. Hella makes some awesome lights in this form, meant for custom applications. You can get low beam projectors that use H7 bulbs for Europe, or H9 bulbs or HID capsules for the US. Ironically, the US lights are higher output because in Europe high-flux lights require auto-leveling. The high beams are freeform reflectors. The beam patterns for all are excellent.

These are the lights I'm talking about:

http://www.midtennmiata.com/round_headlights.htm

I have a set of these lights and stock 92-94 housings and lens covers that I intend to try to combine, and it looks like it'll be a tight fit. 90-91 housings look like they'll have more room, which is better anyway, since they need it more.

If you can develop a nice set of housings that hold these lights, people would love them. That's essentially all Morettes are.
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
eastbaysubaru
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by eastbaysubaru »

Headlights would be really nice. I also like the idea of a coolant tank replacement/relocation kit for those moving to a TMIC. The TMIC kit would be cool as well.

-Brian
'04 PSM FXT
Brat4by4
Stratified

Post by Brat4by4 »

Turbo to Intercooler piping from the factory turbo to the overseas air-water intercooler (with a spot to hook up the bypass valve of course). I think the most people have this set up or are trying to make it work.

Where are you located?
1993 WMP BC6 5MT EJ22T 9psi 3.9:1 213k 205/55R16

62.6 m/s @ 0.66 bar. Gotta love boost. :)
czo79
Second Gear

Post by czo79 »

Here is another link for the hella 90mm quad lamps without that miata kit.
http://www.susquehanna.com/susq/hella/90mm.htm

I want some setup with these lights so very bad. I have thought about trying to fabricate (have a friend do it!) from metal something like a flat panel that replaces/fills the area where the normal stock headlights are, with cutouts where the hellas are mounted inside, with a tapered conical shape between the flat outer surface and the hella lamps inside. Paint the metal body color. Makes sense? hard to describe. Or maybe mount the hellas behind a clear plastic or glass housing.

As for exhaust, I knew about the CES systems...but with the exception legacy92ej22 these systems are an unknown quantity to us. They look incredible, I love the twin dump design. 2.75" appeals to me cause I can't make decisions, and always am confused by the bickering over 2.5 vs 3".
A nice new aluminium coolant tank would be cool.

well, hope these things happen some day...till then, I dream.
Thanks
Micum
Micum
91 Legacy Turbo Sport - 94 JDM EJ20G
97 Legacy 2.5 GT - mod'd
93 Impreza L AWD (sold)
97 Legacy 2.5 GT (deceased)
98 Legacy Outback (sold)
legacy92ej22t
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by legacy92ej22t »

I too would be very interested in headlights. The coolant tank is a great idea too, especially since mine broke last week :evil:
-Matt

'92 SS 5mt. All go and no show. Sold :(
'94 Audi UrS4 Modded (new project)
'96 Outback 5mt.
'07 Legacy 2.5i SE

[quote="Redlined"]
Oh... and I hope the fucker get bunked with Gunter, arrested for raping Gorillas.[/quote]
entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

I might be interested in headlights if it's reasonably priced...
2000 Subaru Legacy B4 RSK

"Der Wahnsinn ist nur eine schmale Brücke/die Ufer sind Vernunft und Trieb"

*Formerly DerFahrer*

@entirelyturbo on social media, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok
HomeSlice
Third Gear

Post by HomeSlice »

tmic or fmic with all piping
MY93BC Legacy Sonora Sand---> black plasti-dip?
MY93GC Impreza Amethyst--> Glacier/aspen/pd White
93BC"edm" 93GC 90BC R.I.P.
93Leg-c
Fourth Gear

Post by 93Leg-c »

I also would love to have the quad hella 90 mm light setup!
georryan
Fourth Gear

Post by georryan »

Diddo on the headlights :)
91 Pearl White Sport Sedan
04 Java Black Pearl Forester XT
2014 Volvo S60 T5
18 KTM 1290 Adventure S

87 Grey GL-10 Sedan (so long old buddy) - donated
97 Toyota 4Runner SR5 - sold
2002 BMW r1150rt-p - sold
2004 BMW r1200ST - sold
2016 BMW r1200RS - sold
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

I'd like a headlight set up that has two round projectors behind a clear acrylic shield (resembling a BMW), so that the lines still fit the rest of the car (I think the Morettes look a little incongruous when matched to the stock parking lights). I've thought about making these but it was a big PITA without having a mold made.

Steve
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Don't the BMWs still have separate high beams?
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
THAWA
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by THAWA »

Would a fiberglass mold be sufficient. Would it be that much weaker than the metal that's already in there?

I'm on First and First. How can the same street intersect with itself? I must be at the nexus of the universe.
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

There's almost no metal in the stock headlamps.
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

The BMWs are seperate high beams. That's what I mean, having the dual lights on each side behind a clear cover that's shaped like the stock headlight. So if you could gut a stock headlight, change the housing, and mount the lamps inside then get rid of the flutes on the inside of the headlight lens you'd have what I'm thinking of.

Steve
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
THAWA
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by THAWA »

Okay heres what I'm thinkin, take the stock headlight out, remove the adjustment screws, and pull apart the mounting plate and the plastic case light housing thing. use the back of it to make a mold out of carbon fiber with places to mount the hellas, then get headlight covers and attach them to the mold, cut out holes in the mounting plate and rewire the harness. Good idea?