MI, state laws on exhaust mods???

Subaru-related topics that don't belong anywhere else...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

inzomniac
First Gear

MI, state laws on exhaust mods???

Post by inzomniac »

I was in Michigan (near Lennox), and to my surprise I was pulled over by a state trooper because he said my car was not roadworthy in Michigan??!? This was all due to the fact that my exhaust was "too loud", I granny shifted past him (he was pointed the other way on a back road) and he came after me... Waited until I was outside my Girlfriend's Dad's house to put the lights on and pull me over (needless to say more than a little embarassing). I've never had any problems in Canada with this exhaust setup, and he told me flat out that any modifications to a vehicle's exhaust was illegal in MI, meanwhile I saw countless pickups with straight back dual pipes while I was driving around... much much louder than my car. Anyway.. I was threatened with impoundment of my car, and then let off.. so I don't know if the guy was just trying to mess with me because I'm young or I've got Ontario plates... Also, anyone on here who has seen my car in the members gallery or in person will know that it dosn't look like a streetracermobile... so it's not like I usually attract all sorts of attention to the car (especially from the police).

Does anyone know if he was right on this one and was being nice by letting me off, or was he being a complete prick? I'd like to know so I can actually bring my car back into the states without being nervous that it's going to get impounded. :shock:
Gary
1995 Legacy LS wagon
1991 Legacy Turbo - 5spd, JDM EJ20 conversion
1985 RX sedan - dual range 4WD, 5spd (P4 rally car)
random aircraft....
czo79
Second Gear

Post by czo79 »

Well, if you were from a different state in the US, and that state in which your car was registered it was legal in, then I would think the michigan cop couldn't do anything about it. I would think it would be a violation of interstate commerce laws or something like that, since other states are required to accept and recognize the legal documents and such of other states. Like marriages. Like you can't get in trouble for front window tint in vermont if your car is registered from a state where it is legal. But being from canada, I don't really know what the legal situation would be, but I assume you were ok. Wasn't it a big deal that NAFTA would allow mexican registered trucks free reign on US roads...
So I would assume maybe that it would be a violation of NAFTA for them to screw with you, well, probably not, but if you were a commercial vehicle, then maybe.
Sorry, I'm useless. :lol:
Micum
Micum
91 Legacy Turbo Sport - 94 JDM EJ20G
97 Legacy 2.5 GT - mod'd
93 Impreza L AWD (sold)
97 Legacy 2.5 GT (deceased)
98 Legacy Outback (sold)
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

I think the guy was just being a bastard. I don't know where Lennox is, but I went to school in Detroit and I can tell you the cops there will only bother you if you shoot at them (even then, they might just speed off). They even repealed mandatory auto insurance while I was there since a third of all motorists were driving without it anyway. Never seen so many un-road-worthy vehicles in my life than Detroit. Remember Eminem's car in 8-mile? I've seen far worse driving around. No state inspection, so who the hell is he to get on your case? I'm sure it was the Canadian plates. The day Detroit is half as clean as next door Windsor will be the day they can criticize your exhaust.

Steve[/i]
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.