Does intercooler improve performance?

Front, Top, Air, Water.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

james_gt
In Neutral

Does intercooler improve performance?

Post by james_gt »

I did a 93 turbo legacy swap into gc8 95 impreza. I just got a wrx intercooler for it and I was wondering if the intercooler made the car any quicker or if there was a noticeable difference. Also I was wondering how to remove the coolant tank in order to fit the intercooler. Thank you.

James
georryan
Fourth Gear

Post by georryan »

I'm not speaking from experience so take that with a grain of salt, but from what I've heard the intercooler does help. The car pulls harder at stock specs sapposedly and I vaugely remember something about less engine wine.

The coolant tank wasn't removed, just relocated and new hoses were put in that were long enough for the move. I think Brat4by4 has some pictures of his coolant tank in a different location. Look up posts in the picture section that talk about intercoolers. You'll find plenty of pictures.
91 Pearl White Sport Sedan
04 Java Black Pearl Forester XT
2014 Volvo S60 T5
18 KTM 1290 Adventure S

87 Grey GL-10 Sedan (so long old buddy) - donated
97 Toyota 4Runner SR5 - sold
2002 BMW r1150rt-p - sold
2004 BMW r1200ST - sold
2016 BMW r1200RS - sold
LegacyPunk
Second Gear

Post by LegacyPunk »

I put a WRX IC in mine and it made a hell of a difference. you can just move the coolant tank out of the way or just put it somewhere else, the only downside is figuring out how to connect the IC to the turbo. Check out some of the pic posts in the IC section and you should get a good Idea of how things can go.
:twisted::cool::twisted: "Plenty of time, to ruin my life, so why start now?" The Movie Life
1993 Sports Sedan, Exhaust, MBC, 02 WRX IC, KYB GR-2s...Now with old back seat!
IggDawg
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by IggDawg »

in case you're still not sure about this (it's been a bit since your last post but you haven't replied yet :D ).....

it makes a LOT of difference. I noticed the boost come on a bit later, but a LOT stronger. presumably beacuse the more convoluted path is harder for the slower air to travel. or some crap. but yeah. a very worthwhile mod. you really can't do much to a turbo engine without intercooling.

I did the saab 900 IC dealie. it worked great. and certainly the price was right :D . I also felt better since I didn;t need to worry so much about knock and whatnot. I'd definitely reccommend it.
IggDawg is cool.

-IggDawg

1994 Barcelona Red SVX LSi.
1990 CRX Si (for sale)

I know a little about Subarus.
JasonGrahn
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by JasonGrahn »

edited topic to show what the actual question is

We like accurate info here. thank you, come again!
Last edited by JasonGrahn on Thu Dec 18, 2003 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Jason Grahn
ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by ciper »

Im not sure I understand why this is even a question for the board. It would be like me asking if washer fluid really makes the windsheild cleaner.

Instead of having us spend time explaining it you should read about the benefits and reasons for intercooling somewhere else. It doesnt need to be subaru specific. Heck it doesnt even have to be specific to motor vehicles!
91White-T
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by 91White-T »

ciper wrote:Im not sure I understand why this is even a question for the board. It would be like me asking if washer fluid really makes the windsheild cleaner.
LOL
98 Ford Contour V6 24V 5MT
98 Chevy Camaro Z28 LS1 6MT
91 Rio Red SS 5MT Sold
91 Flat Black Wagon L+ 4EAT RIP
91 Pearl White SS 4EAT RIP
warlord
In Neutral

Post by warlord »

what sort of silly question is that?

anything that makes the air denser is gunna make the car faster, because the denser the air the more gas can be mixed with it.
1994 Subaru Legacy GT.
2.0 twin turbo, 5mt

13.2 sec quarter
THAWA
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by THAWA »

That's not a silly question. It's quite legitimate, not everyon knows everything about everything. Did you stop to think that maybe he didn't know that an intercooler made the air denser or maybe he knew that but didn't know that denser air is good? There's no reason to be rude just to be rude, leave that attitude on nasioc please.
Rio Red 90 Legacy LS AWD 174k
Liquid Silver 92 SVX LS-L 88k
[url=http://folding.amdmbpond.com/FoldingForOurFuture.html]Do you fold?[/url]

I'm on First and First. How can the same street intersect with itself? I must be at the nexus of the universe.
NuwanD
Second Gear

Post by NuwanD »

I definately noticed improved torque as well as power throughout the entire powerband, i did not feel more lag than stock but the increased low end torque may have made up for any added lag... definately worthwhile mod :D
Nuwan
1992 Open Class Legacy Turbo
2004 Forester XT
2000 Impreza 2.5RSC (Supercharged)
1990 Rover Mini 1000
warlord
In Neutral

Post by warlord »

ok, its not a silly question, it was a silly reply.
but anything that cools a) the incomming air or b) the fuel/air mixture (including water) will normally make more power
1994 Subaru Legacy GT.
2.0 twin turbo, 5mt

13.2 sec quarter
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

It's also definitely possible to reduce performance with an intercooler installation that's not well thought out. The power loss due to restriction caused by a shoddy intercooler installation can exceed the power gain due to the cooling of the intake charge. Couple that with the tendency for top mount intercoolers to heat soak and it's easy to imagine an intercooler installation not really improving performance..
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212