Headlight Project

Headlights to tailights and everything in between.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Headlight Project

Post by Legacy777 »

Well....I finally got a hold of a set of EDM 90-91 lamps. Cost was around 120-150 or something like that after shipping. I lucked out and the guy I know over in the Netherlands happened to find these at a junkyard. New....they're like 300 bucks.....ouch! They have the electronic levelers on them, and glass lenses. Pretty cool stuff. I've definitely got a bit of work ahead of me to get everything wired up.

On a side note.....I recently had one of my 80/100w helolite bulbs burn out....so I replaced it with a set of sylvania xtravision....they're not too bad. wattage was definitely less, but output seems pretty good. Driving lights definitely add to the overall light output. I'll be anxious to see how the EDM lights, and rewired harness affects the lighting of the car.

here's some pics of the helolite and sylvania...as well as other shots.
http://www.main.experiencetherave.com:8 ... headlights

here's pics of the EDM lights and other goodies.
http://www.main.experiencetherave.com:8 ... /edmlights

fsm scan of the headlight levelers
fsm scan

Not sure when I'm going to tackle this....but I'll keep everyone updated. I'm going to try and get some of that 3M film to put on the glass so rocks don't chip them.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
THAWA
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by THAWA »

:shock: :shock: Oh man that's hottt, is the switch taht replaces the cruise control the driving light switch? You're one lucky sob josh. What about getting some of those headlight lenses, like the ones taht were in the part shed a while ago, but not tinted, the clear ones?
Rio Red 90 Legacy LS AWD 174k
Liquid Silver 92 SVX LS-L 88k
[url=http://folding.amdmbpond.com/FoldingForOurFuture.html]Do you fold?[/url]

I'm on First and First. How can the same street intersect with itself? I must be at the nexus of the universe.
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Wow, sweet. Even 300 bucks would be a decent price for the ability to see at night, but 150 is awesome.

It looks like the outboard part of the headlamp has a city light in it. You should totally turn your corner lights into turn signals after wiring the city lights as your parking lights. Then get a pair of sidemarkers and wire them to work as both turn signals and parking lights. :)
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Yeah there is a fog light switch I am thinking of using. I don't want to replace the cruise switch, so I'll either rig something or use something else....haven't decided.

I want a film that is applied to the lights and can't really be seen. I've got a lead on some. I don't like the protectors that you just bolt on. They get dirt and stuff on them, and reduce lighting.

yeah the outboard portion has the city lights. I'm probably going to just hook them up with the accessory lights. I haven't decided whether I'm going to convert the corner lights to turn signals or not....we'll see.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

There is this film they use for light and paint protection, but it comes in kits and is expensive. 3M does make it. There is also self adhesive film that comes in 3-ft wide rolls for a couple hundred bucks that can be cut to choice. There are different thicknesses and I think the thicker may be less mils than the specific film (they've told me they only sell to distributors), but I imagine it would work. I can't remember where I saw smaller rols for under 30 bucks, but it would probably be perfect for the lights and maybe enough for the leading edge of the hood.

Steve
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
HomeSlice
Third Gear

Post by HomeSlice »

josh i just got lhd edm headlights with the motors. thanks for the fsm scan. i dont have a switch though. i gotta take pics of mine they are a little different then yours.
MY93BC Legacy Sonora Sand---> black plasti-dip?
MY93GC Impreza Amethyst--> Glacier/aspen/pd White
93BC"edm" 93GC 90BC R.I.P.
THAWA
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by THAWA »

/shakefist

whoser got the hook up on a group buy for these :)

I'm on First and First. How can the same street intersect with itself? I must be at the nexus of the universe.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

yeah,

take some pics, I'd like to see what yours looks like.

I still haven't gotten around to putting mine in....I just don't have the time to have the car torn apart......

let me know if you can't source a switch.....I might be able to get one.....not sure....
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

ericS2the6
First Gear

Post by ericS2the6 »

wow i didnt realize how bad the usdm series 1 headlights were

lens looks like a checkered board
boostjunkie
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by boostjunkie »

Yeah, the 90-91 legacys had some piss poor lighting. I never realized it until I drove the new car. vrg3 would always tell me they sucked but I never believed him. LOL!
[url=http://www.angelfire.com/md3/91turbolegacy/images/On_the_Lawn.jpg]1991 Legacy Turbo (RIP)[/url]

[url=http://www.angelfire.com/md3/91turbolegacy/images/Summer_Car_Wash3.jpg]2000 Celica GT-S[/url]
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Nobody ever listens to me... Image

Hehe. Lighting is the main reason I prefer 92-94 models over 90-91s. Functionally, the 90-91s are toys compared to the 92-94s in this regard. No amount of aesthetics can make up for that.

Josh is gonna fix that. :twisted:

Josh, I don't understand why you don't just swap the E-code lights in and use your stock wiring for the moment. It'd only take half an hour or so, and be perfectly stable.
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
boostjunkie
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by boostjunkie »

I was in denial:)

The 91s are better. LOL!
[url=http://www.angelfire.com/md3/91turbolegacy/images/On_the_Lawn.jpg]1991 Legacy Turbo (RIP)[/url]

[url=http://www.angelfire.com/md3/91turbolegacy/images/Summer_Car_Wash3.jpg]2000 Celica GT-S[/url]
jake15
Fourth Gear

Post by jake15 »

amen to that :D
HomeSlice
Third Gear

Post by HomeSlice »

boostjunkie wrote:I was in denial:)

The 91s are better. LOL!
for real!!! my 90 is growing on me thats why i got edm heads tails sidemarker corners lights and i lowered it on black rotas
MY93BC Legacy Sonora Sand---> black plasti-dip?
MY93GC Impreza Amethyst--> Glacier/aspen/pd White
93BC"edm" 93GC 90BC R.I.P.
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

You people need to eat vitamins - I have no problem with my lights and actually prefer them to new cars with HIDs (the cut-off is too drastic for me and I can't see as far ahead as it hurts my nightvision).

Steve
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Steve, your subjective take on the headlights you've tried doesn't actually mean much with regard to how well you can see. The human visual system is a ridiculously complicated and subjective thing. It's very easy to make yourself think you can see better while actually worsening your vision -- examples are using fog lights in good weather or installing blue-tinted halogen headlight bulbs. Both hurt your vision but usually give you the impression that you can see better.

Incidentally, HIDs don't have anything to do with cutoffs. Light source and beam pattern are independent variables.
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Ah, but the blue lights give me the opposite feel. I've yet to get in an accident with speeding at night, so I'd say they can't be that bad. I'm not saying they're amazing, just that I don't think they're as horrible as thay're made out to be.

Steve
boostjunkie
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by boostjunkie »

evolutionmovement wrote:You people need to eat vitamins - I have no problem with my lights and actually prefer them to new cars with HIDs (the cut-off is too drastic for me and I can't see as far ahead as it hurts my nightvision).

Steve
Stve is in denial:)

It's okay Steve. We love the 90-91s too :P

THAWA
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by THAWA »

It's okay steve, the headlights suck. I can compare them to my mom's car and they aren't as good. While they might suck at producing light, they don't suck in the asthectics department :D

Anyway back on track. Josh, do you have cruise control? If so where are you going to put the button?

Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Yeah I suppose I should just throw the lights in.....but I just really haven't had any motivation lately to do any work on the car, and I've got some weird annoying issues that are pissing me off....squeaking coming from the hood.....idle that drops way too low and barely will stay running......and front speakers that cut out.

I've got too much work to do, and not enough time.....I need like a week off of work to just stay home and work on the car. Plus I don't like doing things half ass.....if I'm going to put the lights in, I'd like to get everything in place and working 100%.

thawa.....yeah I have cruise......The leveler switch will go where the height control goes.....which means I have to move my current driving light switch......I probably won't use the factory one.....not sure I could get the button in there, and looking ok.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

THAWA
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by THAWA »

Oh sorry, I meant with the rear fog switch (I'm assuming that's what you took a picture of). Or are you not using that?

As for the time issue, you can always send them to me And I'll install em :D

Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

I will probably not use the factory driving light switch I took a pic of....(I took pics of both the leveler switch and driving light switch)

nahh....don't think I'll do that....
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

But it wouldn't really be half-assed. It would just be one step of the whole project. Kind of like installing Magnecor wires before you're ready to swap in the Diamond pack or something.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

it's a little different then that.

I'd still have to pull out the lights to do all the wiring. I'd compare it to me putting my hella horns in originally. I stuck them in the stock horn location, and wired them up.......I didn't like them there, and eventually moved them and did a more "proper" setup......which I'm happier with.

I'll just wait.....I can be very patient when it comes to putting mods on so they are done right....
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Why would you need to pull the lights to do the wiring?