Best place to get front and rear new rotors for a good prce?

Where the power meets the road.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

SPARTUS
In Neutral

Best place to get front and rear new rotors for a good prce?

Post by SPARTUS »

Time came to replace my warped rotors. Any good places to get new front and rear's for a good price?
1992 Subaru Legacy L+
FWD
Automatic
elkaboom
First Gear

Post by elkaboom »

I'm not a particularly big fan of national chain stores but, typically, you can get pretty good deals at places like Pep Boys or NTB for that kind of stuff. Also, you get the added advantage of knowing that if they mess something up it's usually covered.
I've never had a problem personally, but most things related to brakes and the like I do myself. Go to Autozone, or if you're like me, the dealer and get "official" Subaru parts. Rotors aren't difficult to do -in fact, I can usually swap out a pair of rotors in about 30-45 minutes. I alway's recomend learning to do these kind off operations yourself. It'll give you the opportunity to not only learn about your vehicle, but it'll save you a lot of money in the long run.
Pick up a Hayne's or Chilton's manual, get yourself a decent set of tools and get to work. :)
Bob
90 Legacy LS AWD n/a -190,000 and going strong!

91 Legacy SS -currently stock and awaiting marginal upgrades (dead) RIP
ej22t
Second Gear

Post by ej22t »

Try E-bay looking for Terrshop in Canada, the supplies Brake pads, rotor(x-drill) and SS line in good price, send them an e-mail said Ben send you to them , you may have a better price!

Ben
92 Legacy turbo with EJ20G engine swap \(^0^)/
SPARTUS
In Neutral

Post by SPARTUS »

thanks guys for the replies. when changing the rotors do I need to get new brake pads eventhough the ones on the car now have only 5k on them?
1992 Subaru Legacy L+
FWD
Automatic
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

Some people say to, but I don't bother as the two haven't coincided with replacement schedules and I haven't had a problem.

Steve
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

I believe MRT actually recommends replacing only pads or rotors but not both if at all possible. They say old pads help bed in new rotors and new rotors help bed in new pads.
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
THAWA
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by THAWA »

dont ya mean new pads help bed in old rotors :D
Rio Red 90 Legacy LS AWD 174k
Liquid Silver 92 SVX LS-L 88k
[url=http://folding.amdmbpond.com/FoldingForOurFuture.html]Do you fold?[/url]

I'm on First and First. How can the same street intersect with itself? I must be at the nexus of the universe.
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

www.buybrakes.com

$50 a corner for the Turbo ;)
2009 Outback 2.5XT. 5MT. Satin White Pearl.
2009 Impreza 2.5i Premium. Blue.

[quote="scottzg"]...I'm not a fan of the vagina...[/quote][quote="evolutionmovement"]This will all go much easier if people stop doubting me.[/quote]
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Hm, well, I did misspeak (er, mistype)... but I meant, "old pads help bed in new rotors and old rotors help bed in new pads." At least, that's how I remember them putting it.
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
boostjunkie
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by boostjunkie »

Seee classifieds under Please buy my stuff.
[url=http://www.angelfire.com/md3/91turbolegacy/images/On_the_Lawn.jpg]1991 Legacy Turbo (RIP)[/url]

[url=http://www.angelfire.com/md3/91turbolegacy/images/Summer_Car_Wash3.jpg]2000 Celica GT-S[/url]
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

only problem with old pads, new rotors, etc.....if you use different pads after you have used the old pads to break in the rotor, you could end up with uneven pad deposits and more problems then it's worth.

I've replaced pads and rotors at the same time and had no problems. I've actually had LESS problems doing this, then just swapping pads....for the exact reason I mentioned above....the two brake pad materials didn't jive.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by ciper »

SPARTUS: Pay the 10-15 to get them turned and see what happens, before spending money on something you might not need.
G-reg
Second Gear

Post by G-reg »

What ciper said, I thought for sure I'd need new rotors when I was doing my brakes a few weeks ago. But the shop said they were well within the limits and could be turned. This is a car that spent most of it's life in Steamboat CO, so the brakes have been punished...and then I bought it. They were slightly warped with all of the OE 200k mi on them, lot's of material to play with, even after being turned. So unless they are really bad or you need an excuse to upgrade :D , you can probably have them turned.
Missing a 92 L Wagon, Enjoying an 05 RS Wagon
edgarmoresco
In Neutral

Post by edgarmoresco »

When I last bought rotors I picked them up at NAPA. I bought them in NH so there awas no sales tax and I think they were $30 ea for the front and $28 for the back. Why bother turning them they when are practically cheaper than the pad kit? Don't mess around with the brakes...Do them right!
1994 GT Wagon all stock with 375,000+ original owner miles
ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by ciper »

So you paid 60$ for aftermarket when he could have OE spec rotors for 30? I dont see the benefit.
edgarmoresco
In Neutral

Post by edgarmoresco »

If you saw my old rotors you would! LoL
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Rotors aren't quite as good once they've been turned though, since they're thinner, right? They have a little less heat dissipating mass and such...
G-reg
Second Gear

Post by G-reg »

From what I've heard that is true, but in my case I still think they will out last the car. I've also heard that the effect/difference, like drilled/slotted/blessed rotors, is so minimal that most mere mortals can't tell the difference. If you are pushing hard enough(a good thing BTW) to kill a turned set, you probably shouldn't be running stock stuff anyway.
Missing a 92 L Wagon, Enjoying an 05 RS Wagon
ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by ciper »

When you turn rotors the weight changes VERY little.
edgarmoresco
In Neutral

Post by edgarmoresco »

I can assure you they will not outlast the car. I have over 350K and had to change them twice.
ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by ciper »

Not outlast the car, but they should outlast two sets of pads.
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

Until I got cryo rotors I would blow out the front pair every 6 months - severe pulsing.

Steve
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
SPARTUS
In Neutral

Post by SPARTUS »

i appreciate your responses guys. however, i've had my rotors turned once already and i'm not sure if this can be done again. i've called a few local stores such as pep boys, advance auto, mainline...etc...

at salvo i can get new rotors for 15.99 each which sounds like a deal. however, i think they are junk for that price especially since they are made in china. the brand is aimco and they have a 6 month, 6000 mile warranty. sounds like crap to me. i really need your opinion guys. should i get my rotors resurfaced if possible or buy these new $15.99 rotors?

thanks
1992 Subaru Legacy L+
FWD
Automatic
edgarmoresco
In Neutral

Post by edgarmoresco »

Go ahead and buy them. I use them on my car and there is absolutely no noticeable difference. I have squeezed as much as 130K out of a set without turning them. They are so cheap just replace them when the pads go.
edgarmoresco
In Neutral

Post by edgarmoresco »

That is the new chineese disks.