Cmon Jason

Autocross, Rallycross, ProRally, Drag, WRC, F1 etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Grant
Second Gear

Cmon Jason

Post by Grant »

It's been three days now and no report on how Oregon Trails went??? I really wanted to go but with school and the Colorado Hill Climb series about to get under way I'm pretty strapped for cash and time. We did just add another rally car to our team. We now have a fully prepped 1991 Eagle Talon PGT car as well as my Colt and a partially finished 1996 PGT Impreza. We are talking about using the Colt for hill climbs and the Talon for SCCA events. Anyhow, how was the event? I hope to make it out next year. Actually I may be moving to Seattle for med school next year in which case I'll definitely make it.
Later,
Grant Hughes
Denver, CO
http://www.nocoastmotorsports.net
JasonGrahn
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by JasonGrahn »

hehehe.. Sorry! Been busy as hell here at work.

The rally was a blast. The weather cooperated (some say a little TOO much), the roads were sweet, and the crew did their work to the T. The car was a '92 Golf, basically stock engine, tranny geared REALLY close - 5th gear maxes out at just over 110mph.

I was in a very interesting scenario for this race. It was my first time with this driver, it was HIS first time running notes, and it was his first event back in car after rolling it (Doo Wops in WA).

Saturday we would have done well if it weren't for the ~7 minute penalty we incurred after dropping the route book at the beginning of the stage. It wasn't the dropping that was the problem, it was the waiting at the end of the state for the book that put is within minutes of maximum lateness. We didn't finish last, that's what matters. ;)

Sunday, we hauled ass. probably more ass then we should have, knowing the condition of the tires we were running. Read that as: 3 rally old michelins. If you know your rally tires, you'll know that michelins are soft as hell and typically aren't good after 1 rally, much less 3. None the less, we finished 15th overall (!!!!! WOW !!!!!) out of 37 (including DNFs). We had a great time, got along really well, and i look forward to the rest of the season.

The car needs a bit more power and some window tint, and we'll be happy. For now, I'm focusing on Rim of the World Rally in Lancaster California where i'll be codriving for Craig Hollingsworth in a g2 VW Jetta.
-Jason Grahn
eastbaysubaru
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by eastbaysubaru »

I'll see you there Jason! At Rim that is :D.

-Brian
'04 PSM FXT
JasonGrahn
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by JasonGrahn »

Sounds good. Like i said, codriving for craig hollingsworth. The car is a g2 blue/yellow jetta. :)
-Jason Grahn
legacy92ej22t
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by legacy92ej22t »

Wow, that sounds so fun, I wish I could have gone. I probably wont make it back out to Oregon til next year sometime though.

I'll be at the Sesquehannock Trail Pro Rally in June and the Maine Forest Pro Rally in July. Are you racing in those events Jason? Is anyone else going?
-Matt

'92 SS 5mt. All go and no show. Sold :(
'94 Audi UrS4 Modded (new project)
'96 Outback 5mt.
'07 Legacy 2.5i SE

[quote="Redlined"]
Oh... and I hope the fucker get bunked with Gunter, arrested for raping Gorillas.[/quote]
Kelly
Fourth Gear

Post by Kelly »

WOW! 15th! not bad at all. Your the CKRALLY car right?
My team did 23rd, but it was our first rally, and it was in a rabbit 1.6 on carbs.
JasonGrahn
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by JasonGrahn »

Won't make it to STPR, but i'm trying to find a ride for Maine Forest.

Yeah, we're the CKRally car. Like I said. 23rd ain't too shabby. You kept it together, and that's half of the game! Those carb'd engines have a lot of potential, just ask derek bottles.

Oh, BTW, that's a well trained co-driver! Gotta throw up the horns to the spectators and photogs that ya find!
-Jason Grahn
eastbaysubaru
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by eastbaysubaru »

I didn't even notice the horns. SICK! I'm going to have to remember that one when I start co-driving :D

-Brian
'04 PSM FXT
Grant
Second Gear

Post by Grant »

You sure that's not a rabbit sitting in front of the tree? :D 23rd is damn good as well. We thought about trying to make Rim but decided to go with the Temple Canyon Hill Climb. $150 entry for two days of racing 2 hours away can't really be beat. Good luck at Rim. It should be a good rally. It usually is.
Grant Hughes
Denver, CO
http://www.nocoastmotorsports.net
Legacy294
Vendor
Vendor

Post by Legacy294 »

Oregon Trail was interesting for us to say the least...

Broke an axle on day one (fixed quickly, but timebarred) right out of the stadium, but spectating/shooting pics was fun though. What a great bunch of fans out there.

On day two we ran three stages, split a rear boot (no biggie), transited back out to the stages, then the car kept intermittently quitting on the way to the start. Got it started with 2 seconds to go, took off then it crapped out for good about 4 miles in, right where Gabe V.(#212 Open Legacy) was marshalling..Some heat related issue maybe ECU, Cam/ crank sensor, ECT, or fuel pump. We got towed off stage by two GL10s in tandem, pretty entertaining. Subie love is still alive and well...Unfortunately, both Leggy turbos DNFd.

Hopefully someone on the board will have some good input to help troubleshoot it. This is the first season of the new (91 turbo) car, and its had way too much going wrong next to our old (90 LS)car that ran two seasons w/ no DNFs.

I've never seen an axle get the splines chewed off like that, and haven't had a turbo leggy quit like this one before. Drove the car for two weeks straight before the race, and ran about 8 stages hard and no probs at all..

Overall, a great event to run or spectate, and a great "rally family" to be a part of. Well worth the trip out.
'96 GF/STi Rally wagon, under construction

If it's mechanical, it WILL break...
www.allwheelsdriven.net
Kelly
Fourth Gear

Post by Kelly »

That was such a bummer about the axle man. I was the guy who met you while you were fixing it. We discussed turbo Legs. :P

Good to see ya on the forums.
Legacy294
Vendor
Vendor

Post by Legacy294 »

It was a bummer, but now its fixed...

Very nice to meet you too.
I'll be hanging around here often.
'96 GF/STi Rally wagon, under construction

If it's mechanical, it WILL break...
www.allwheelsdriven.net