Finally got another Subaru

This is for non-Subaru related topics. Keep it realistic please.

Moderator: Moderators

IggDawg
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Finally got another Subaru

Post by IggDawg »

Figured I'd share the love here too. So glad to be behind the wheel of another Scooby. I picked up a red '94 SVX LSi on Ebay. just so happened that this guy was local to me, and had exactly what I'd been looking for for about 2 years now. I've been on the hunt for a local SVX in very good mechanical condition preferably with a new tranny. this one was not only in good mechanical condition, but was in spectacular condition in the interior and exterior. the guy that owned it was a ASE master technician, and he went to town on it. new brakes, suspension, transmission, and numerous interior bits. Absolutely everything works mechanically and electrically. 3 buttons have slightly dim lights, but the car's 10 years old for chrissake. can't split hairs. check out the pics:

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?IggDawg|17983

So very happy with this car. It's an absolute pleasure to drive. IF any of you have a couple thou to spend on a toy car to supplement your EJ22t habit, I strongly reccommend one of these :D.
IggDawg is cool.

-IggDawg

1994 Barcelona Red SVX LSi.
1990 CRX Si (for sale)

I know a little about Subarus.
mikec
Third Gear

Post by mikec »

Congrats on the purchase IggDawg! It looks really good.
"That shouldn't be a problem, since I do regularly visit the realm of subatmospheric manifold pressures." -- vrg3
LegacyT
Fourth Gear

Post by LegacyT »

Congrats, awesome car man!! I've been hunting for one too, one with a blown tranny or something for cheap. Are you gonna 5-spd yours :twisted:

Mark,
1991 Turbo Sedan, Aspen White 5MT, Sold RIP
1994 Turbo Sedan, Crimson Pearl 5MT, from British Columbia-no rust!
magicmike
Fifth Gear

Post by magicmike »

DAMN! that thing is cherry. Congrats man
-Mike

2011 Infiniti G37x Sedan - Current
2007 Ducati 800ss - Current
1994 Subaru Legacy Sport Wagon (White)
1994 Subaru Legacy Sport Wagon (Silver)
2003 Infiniri G35
1998 Infiniti I30t
1995 Honda Civic DX
1987 Subaru GL Wagon
1987 Subaru Loyale
DLC
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DLC »

Sweet.
Legacy Central
2001 Legacy Outback Wagon | 2005 OB XT LTD | 1997 Legacy Outback Limited | 1998 Legacy L Wagon | 2000 GT Limited | 93 Legacy Touring Wagon 5MT | 90 Legacy L+
legacy92ej22t
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by legacy92ej22t »

Very nice! :D
-Matt

'92 SS 5mt. All go and no show. Sold :(
'94 Audi UrS4 Modded (new project)
'96 Outback 5mt.
'07 Legacy 2.5i SE

[quote="Redlined"]
Oh... and I hope the fucker get bunked with Gunter, arrested for raping Gorillas.[/quote]
georryan
Fourth Gear

Post by georryan »

Supercharge it! :)
91 Pearl White Sport Sedan
04 Java Black Pearl Forester XT
2014 Volvo S60 T5
18 KTM 1290 Adventure S

87 Grey GL-10 Sedan (so long old buddy) - donated
97 Toyota 4Runner SR5 - sold
2002 BMW r1150rt-p - sold
2004 BMW r1200ST - sold
2016 BMW r1200RS - sold
THAWA
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by THAWA »

that's so awesome! Looks to be in great shape. Good find :D
Rio Red 90 Legacy LS AWD 174k
Liquid Silver 92 SVX LS-L 88k
[url=http://folding.amdmbpond.com/FoldingForOurFuture.html]Do you fold?[/url]

I'm on First and First. How can the same street intersect with itself? I must be at the nexus of the universe.
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

If I knew you were looking this gorgeous Cambodian woman I worked with was trying to unload hers over a year ago. Had a new transmission and was even red. I don't know what she wanted for it, she just kept telling me I should buy it.

Steve
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
IggDawg
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by IggDawg »

Thanks for the kind words, guys :D . I was real pleased when I saw her in person and she was as nice as the auction pics made her out ot be. those pics are from the auction... I have yet to take any of my own.

The tranny is barely 10k miles old, so I can't really justify swapping it out yet. But when she starts to slip a little, I'm sure she'll have a legacy turbo 5MT in her belly :D

EM - did she come with the car :D? I've been on the "quasi-prowl" for a while, but the thing that got me really looking for one was that I had just finished doing the input shaft bearing on my CRX, and I wanted something a little nicer. I was also sick of sweating through my pants. whenever I'm looking for me next car, SVXs are the first thing I look around for. this one happened to be available. is hers still for sale?
IggDawg is cool.

-IggDawg

1990 CRX Si (for sale)

Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

yeah....those things are such cruiser cars......
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
Brat4by4
Stratified

Post by Brat4by4 »

make sure you put an external tranny cooler on it if the previous owner had not. but that will make the tranny last longer.... up to you. you might be able to sell that tranny for a pretty penny and finance the swap.
1993 WMP BC6 5MT EJ22T 9psi 3.9:1 213k 205/55R16

62.6 m/s @ 0.66 bar. Gotta love boost. :)
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

I unfortunately haven't spoken to her since the plant moved to Malaysia. She lives in Lowel, I assume it's still for sale if she has it, but I don't have her number. Damn woman's married otherwise I'd be keeping her number to myself. She had a great sense of humor, too.

Oh well, looks like you've got a good one anyway. I always liked those. If they'd come with manuals I'd have bought one over the Legacy.

Steve
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

Really cool, Igg! 8) I am positive I will have an SVX someday, it will just happen...

It's great that the tranny is new, and I agree with Brat, you need an external cooler. But how are the rear wheel bearings? Any SVX owner will tell you stories of those :?

Still awesome though. Also, look at huck369's profile on here, he's probably the most famous guy to do the 5MT SVX swap.
2000 Subaru Legacy B4 RSK

"Der Wahnsinn ist nur eine schmale Brücke/die Ufer sind Vernunft und Trieb"

*Formerly DerFahrer*

@entirelyturbo on social media, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok
THAWA
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by THAWA »

hey igg, can you keep track of about how much you spend on it in repairs? I'm thinking about getting one but wanna know for sure how much they need.

I'm on First and First. How can the same street intersect with itself? I must be at the nexus of the universe.
IggDawg
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by IggDawg »

subyluvr: From Subaru-SVX.com -
How is driving a Subaru SVX like being in the Bermuda Triangle?
If you're in either of them long enough, you're going to lose your bearings.

How is driving a Subaru SVX like being chased by a lion?
In either case, you're going to hear a loud roar coming from behind you.
:D

The rear bearings in this one are perfectly silent. When I'm on the highway, all I can hear is the enigne purring and the stereo. the tires are a little loud too. but no bearing issues thankfully. In the event of failure, North Ursalia from Nabisco works at Exeter Suabru (aka www.subaruwrxparts.com) and can get the "DIY kit" for rear bearings. so I'm not terribly worried. I'm thinking strongly about autocrossing it once or twice.

brat - already got one :D . It's only a Hayden 401, but I got it small on purpose so I can add another larger one for summer and keep this one on for winter. with a big one, the tranny my SS would never get up to temperature. this car has a few more ponies, but I would still worry about running too cold.

THAWA - absolutely. but given the condition of the car, I'd call it a "best case scenario." some people get stuck fixing all kinds of stuff, especially if they get the cheaper '92s (which were a little faster anyways). I've already spent a couple hundred that I prolly didn't need to on this and that. but I get that way when I have a car I really like. I got that way with my legacy for sure :D. but yeah, I'll keep a running tab and check in in a few months.
IggDawg is cool.

-IggDawg

1990 CRX Si (for sale)

THAWA
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by THAWA »

Speaking of which, do you know what allowed the 92-93 lsl's to have such a high top speed?

IggDawg
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by IggDawg »

The 92 and 93 models were speed limited by teh CPU based on RPMs, and the later models were limited by the CPU based on vehicle speed. I guess they figured ~154mph was a little quick, and decided to cut the speed off before the rev limiter :lol: :D .

hmm... could have just quoted cars101.com :

"1994 added an electronic cut off at 136 MPH pre 94 models used RPM to limit top speed at 155 "

there you have it :D .
IggDawg is cool.

-IggDawg

1990 CRX Si (for sale)

nubs
First Gear

Post by nubs »

Welcome to the SVX ranks IggDawg. I have seen your post's over on the Network. Not all SVX's are as problematic as everyone thinks. I have had my 92 for 4 years and have not done to much to it.

vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

A VSS-based speed limiter shouldn't be hard to bypass.
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

IggDawg wrote:The rear bearings in this one are perfectly silent.
They have probably been replaced then. My understanding of the wheel bearing issue was that the originals did not have proper sealing from the outside elements, so water, dirt, etc. etc. were free to work their way in and destroy the bearings. New updated bearings were properly sealed.

Also, something that might interest you Igg. It is my understanding that the STi does not have the common Subaru lug pattern, it's 5 X 114.3 as opposed to our 5 X 100. The only other Subaru I know of with that lug pattern is the SVX :twisted: Anyone over on the SVX board attempted an STi wheel on their cars? :)
2000 Subaru Legacy B4 RSK

"Der Wahnsinn ist nur eine schmale Brücke/die Ufer sind Vernunft und Trieb"

*Formerly DerFahrer*

@entirelyturbo on social media, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok
THAWA
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by THAWA »

hmm awesome, so it was all 92-93's that had the high topspeed or just the lsl's?

I assume you mean the 05 sti's?

LegacyT
Fourth Gear

Post by LegacyT »

huh? Aren't all STi's 5x100 :?

Mark,
eastbaysubaru
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by eastbaysubaru »

Nope, the USDM STi's are all the 5 X 114.3 bolt pattern. Interesting that the SVX also had that pattern. You learn something new every day:D!

-Brian
'04 PSM FXT
LegacyT
Fourth Gear

Post by LegacyT »

Wow thats crazy :shock: I woulda never thought. Thats good info to stuff into my brain for future reference.

Mark,