Turbo Volume

That spinning thing that makes all of the cool noises. OE and Aftermarket.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Bosco
Second Gear

Turbo Volume

Post by Bosco »

Simple question...

Are some stock turbos just naturally a bit louder than others?

I noticed my new wagon has a noticably more audible turbo than my sedan. Not HUGELY different, but noticable.
If I had a mechanic's ear, I'd comment on how "healthy" the sound is, but I'm not so experienced (as some of you already know).

I was just wondering if that cold be normal, or sign of a problem.

BTW: I'll be getting a boost guage ASAP, and I'll likely check for leaks with the starting fluid method.
94 Legacy Touring Wagon - 5MT Swapped and now with 100% less turbo!
02 Legacy L wagon - Auto
92 Legacy L fwd auto
mTk
no title

Post by mTk »

Some are louder. It might just be variation between turbos, but it's also highly likely that it's wear in the turbo itself, so if you brag about how loud your turbo is compared to other legacies (if it's really loud) you just might have a turbo that's ready to shit it's pants into your engine.

MK
1992 BC672 AWD 5MT
ultrasonic
Third Gear

Post by ultrasonic »

mTk wrote:Some are louder. It might just be variation between turbos, but it's also highly likely that it's wear in the turbo itself, so if you brag about how loud your turbo is compared to other legacies (if it's really loud) you just might have a turbo that's ready to shit it's pants into your engine.

MK
Damn, that's eloquent.
-steve-

03 Legacy L Wagon
91 Legacy Sport Sedan - SOLD
94 Legacy Touring Wagon - SOLD
00 Impreza L Sport Wagon - totaled!
mTk
no title

Post by mTk »

Haha :) I'm not trying to say that bosco brags at all, just that for ANYONE, if it's loud enough that you are bragging, chances are it's getting close to the end ;)

MK
1992 BC672 AWD 5MT