steering rack options (updated !)

Struts, spring, anti-rollbars, braces and the like.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

professor
Third Gear

steering rack options (updated !)

Post by professor »

I noticed my car tends to follow ruts too easily and seems overall sloppy in steering control. I though I had a bad balljoint, but the slop seems to be coming from the steering rack itself.

I examined with wheels off, and the slop seems to be in the left tie rod to rack connection. Not the tie rod end, that seemed solid, as did the balljoint. But I can see 1/8" or more movement in the tie rod, that does not turn the rack itself. The right is solid in the same place.

Not coincidentally, the left rack boot is torn there and it doesn't look too pretty inside.

Is that just a solid connection in there between whatever stub sticks out of the rack, and the tie rod itself ? Any adjustment available to the rack ? Is there any chance of another problem therein with wear in the connection, or is it more likely rack wear itself ? As usual Haynes is not helpful here.

Any advice appreciated before I start shopping for a rack. Also, what years does the GT rack bolt right in ?
Last edited by professor on Wed Nov 03, 2004 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
That beer you are drinking cost more than my car
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

Sounds like you have the inner tie rod bad. There's the outer balljoint-like end and the inner ball and socket. Especially with the torn boot, I'd suspect that's your problem.

Steve
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
professor
Third Gear

Post by professor »

yeah that sounds likely...I assume that it is easily removed ? I've seen some steering racks where the attachment of the inner tie rod end doesn't stick out far enough to get a wrench on it, and a weird-o tool has to be used.
professor
Third Gear

Post by professor »

OK I now have the following choices:

Replace just the "bad" parts, L tie rod inner, boot and clamps $80

Do the full tie rod thing both sides, inners, ends, boots $200

Replace full rack including complete tie rods, from "97 Legacy GT, (car had 80k) guaranteed good for $100

What do y'all think ?

Truthfully my rack seems pretty tight but the wheels are beyond the control of the rack, and my instincts are to replace things in pairs, so I'm loathe to just do the first option.
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

My family's 97 GT has a much, much nicer steering feel than my car. The steering is less overboosted, much firmer.

Ciper said that he swapped a 97 GT rack into one of his BC/BFs and the steering feel became much less boosted and much firmer.

So, it seems that it's the rack that's responsible for the great steering feel.

I would say spend $100 for a warrantied 97 GT rack if you're gonna be touching the rack and spending many tens of dollars anyway. I think I might do that one of these days, seeing as how my current rack is weeping ATF.
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Where are you getting your 97 gt rack? I'd actually be interested in doing this for that price.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
professor
Third Gear

Post by professor »

you can do a search on http://www.car-parts.com, which brings up all the yards with a particular part.

In this case I could ask for a rack for a 1997 Legacy, not specific to GT, but when several hundred options came up with prices, I scrolled through and picked only the ones that said "GT", then sent out email feelers for whether the rack was truly GT, complete and warranteed, and for price.

Funny the wire had a higher price but I was offered at $100, which I'm inclined to accept. It seems no harder to swap the rack than to screw with the tie rods and boots, and this way I can write off my current tie rod ends and just bang 'em out, not concerned about the tie rod boots.

BTW I prefer to shop for parts this way, it beats the hell out of calling around and/or laying in the mud in the winter trying to pick a stubborn part. I've used searches like this many, many times. Since I have my own UPS account I don't get ripped off on shipping, either.
93Leg-c
Fourth Gear

Post by 93Leg-c »

Just slight adjustment--it's www.car-part.com (without the "s")
illnastyimpreza
First Gear

wrx rack?

Post by illnastyimpreza »

would a WRX rack fit?
It's all about the power to wait ratio

98 Impreza RS
91 Legacy L wagon
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

nope, wrx has different lines going to the pump.

You might be able to custom do something to make it fit up. But it'd be easier to find a rack out of something that will directly fit up.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

I think the WRX rack also has a different spline count where it mates to the steering column.
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
mikec
Third Gear

Post by mikec »

vrg3 wrote:I think the WRX rack also has a different spline count where it mates to the steering column.
It is different.

I had to deal with this recently, while trying to find a replacement rack. We tried moving the shaft from my rack over to the WRX rack, so that the splines would be correct, but something didn't work right. The valve holes and such to control the power steering look to be the same, so we suspect the WRX rack was at fault. But basically, I had no assist, and the steering wouldn't come back to centre, unless I muscled it there. Quite scary, really!
"That shouldn't be a problem, since I do regularly visit the realm of subatmospheric manifold pressures." -- vrg3
206er
Fifth Gear

Post by 206er »

so is there a difference between the GT rack and the non-gt rack?
are there any quicker ratio racks that will work, say out of a GC8 2.5RS or something(if said rack is even a quicker ratio)? I ASSume since its the same chassis that the 2.5RS racks are compatible?
1994 Touring Wagon: ruby mica, 5mt swapped
integrator
In Neutral

Post by integrator »

I was in at the dealer and he said the rack from a 2.5 RS wouldn't work. I don't necessarily believe him though. I priced a dealer rack for my car and it was $1700 List.

I have had no power steering for months now. It's giving me a major workout everyday.

I just want to know what rack I can use to replace my rusted out rack.
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

$1700 no way!

Revlabs will mod one down to 13:1 for $1300US, just send them the core.
2009 Outback 2.5XT. 5MT. Satin White Pearl.
2009 Impreza 2.5i Premium. Blue.

[quote="scottzg"]...I'm not a fan of the vagina...[/quote][quote="evolutionmovement"]This will all go much easier if people stop doubting me.[/quote]
Soobster
First Gear

Post by Soobster »

So what is the conclusion?

Is there a better steering rack on a Leg GT?

My 91 is leaking ATF pretty bad as well. I want to change it soon. What is the most recent model year leagcy that will swap directly over to the older bc/bf/bj chassis?

can't forget about the bj :P
1987 VW Westfalia Vanagon - EJ22T Powered
1994 Legacy Touring Wagon
206er
Fifth Gear

Post by 206er »

have you folks seen these?
http://www.stockcarproducts.com/steer4.htm
might take some doing but would probably drive awesome. Id go with the 1.5:1, 2:1 might get twitchy for a street car.
1994 Touring Wagon: ruby mica, 5mt swapped
Chef
In Neutral

Post by Chef »

Yeah, any consensus here? I'm pretty sure my lousy handling right now is due it a worn rack, although it doesn't leak. If I need to replace it, I'd like to do it well (although necessarily used).
92 Legacy LS - AWD Wagon 244 000 km, Swap to Spring/Coil suspension
sammydafish
Third Gear

Post by sammydafish »

What about manual racks for our cars? Did any late model Suabaru's come with manual racks? Maybe some 1.8 Imprezas? I know some old GLs had them but I doubt those things would fit. Our cars are light enough and we tend not to run wide wheels/tires, so a manual rack would probably work pretty well and not be to much effort in a parking lot. The lack of power steering lines would make it a lot easier to run nasty front mounts and turbo setups too. I had to build custom power steering lines in order to get my turbo setup to fit, it was kinda a pain in the ass.

So is this an option?
- Junior
90L Wagon EJ22E on Toyota CT-26 boost -- Crushed!
95L Wagon on T3/T4 boost :)
www.trdsupra.com [b][url=http://trdsupra.com/library/forsale/]Cheap parts![/url][/b][quote="Imprezive"]alright, I give up, I'm going to NASIOC...[/quote]
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

You could run a power rack with no fluid. Not easy at low speeds, though, and it doesn't like self-centering much. Any viable manual rack would be a higher a ratio to make up for the lack of assist, so it would be a slower rack anyway.
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
Chef
In Neutral

Post by Chef »

How easily does a later 90s legacy steering rack fit an early 90s? Exact fit? If a 97 works, would a 99? What differences/changes would be necessary to fit.

I need to do this pronto I think, I have a feeling one or both of my inner tie rods are about to crap out.
92 Legacy LS - AWD Wagon 244 000 km, Swap to Spring/Coil suspension
Soobster
First Gear

?Still looking for an answer?

Post by Soobster »

Still need to do this, my car is going to be sweet after some new tires and a steering rack.

What is the best choice for replacing the rack from used auto parts yards?

Will all MY Legacies steering-racks swap into the early legacies?

This could make for a really good and cheap upgrade.
1987 VW Westfalia Vanagon - EJ22T Powered
1994 Legacy Touring Wagon
93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

'90-99 should all be the same. Not shure about the rest.
→Dan

piddster34 at h0tma1l d0t c0m
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

206er wrote:have you folks seen these?
might take some doing but would probably drive awesome. Id go with the 1.5:1, 2:1 might get twitchy for a street car.
That's awesome!

2:1 would cut the stock input in half. Turning it to 8:1 total.

1.5:1 turns it into 10.6:1. Almost the same as the older Crucial Racing Quick-Rack.

They say you could turn it around to increase steering too. That's wild!

A 32:1 rack would be nuts!

Trouble is, the splines are probably quite wrong. Anyone know the spline setup for the SS?

The adapter posted uses GM .735-36 splines.
2009 Outback 2.5XT. 5MT. Satin White Pearl.
2009 Impreza 2.5i Premium. Blue.

[quote="scottzg"]...I'm not a fan of the vagina...[/quote][quote="evolutionmovement"]This will all go much easier if people stop doubting me.[/quote]
Brat4by4
Stratified

Post by Brat4by4 »

BAC5.2 wrote:
206er wrote:have you folks seen these?
That's awesome!

2:1 would cut the stock input in half. Turning it to 8:1 total.

1.5:1 turns it into 10.6:1. Almost the same as the older Crucial Racing Quick-Rack.

They say you could turn it around to increase steering too. That's wild!

A 32:1 rack would be nuts!

Trouble is, the splines are probably quite wrong. Anyone know the spline setup for the SS?

The adapter posted uses GM .735-36 splines.
Woah, now it all makes sense! Family friend has a body shop and this dude had his car there that was crazy to drive. Just touch the steering wheel and the wheels moved with it. Small steering wheel & 2:1 increase would make sense. It was like a 1 1/2 turns lock to lock.
1993 WMP BC6 5MT EJ22T 9psi 3.9:1 213k 205/55R16

62.6 m/s @ 0.66 bar. Gotta love boost. :)