Seafoam revisited

Got a new part? Is it the best thing you've ever seen? Is it a complete ripoff? Let us know about your parts and service.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

stipro
Third Gear

Seafoam revisited

Post by stipro »

I have recently recieved a few cans of Seafoam, that was brought up to me from the US, and I was really excited to try it until I read this:

evolutionmovement
Legacy Nut

Posted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 2:43 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yeah, the bulid up's more n the inside, where it's more dangerous. I blame it for my engine's melted valve. That was a few months after using Sea Foam.

Steve

Does this imply that the seafoam was the cause of the melted valve. Please restore my faith in this product and give me the real goods on it.
1994 ABM Sport Sedan-Not stock
1990 L series/turbo-Rally project
stipro
Third Gear

Post by stipro »

wow did I ever crap that post up!!
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

I don't think Steve was saying the Sea Foam caused the problem. He was just pointing out that it doesn't clean all the carbon buildup inside the combustion chamber. So while the backs of your valves and the intake ports might be all clean, it doesn't mean everything is clean.
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

What Vikash said. I wish I could see a before and after of the combustion chamber. Keep in mind, though, that I had about 240k mi on it before trying to clean it.

Steve
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
illnastyimpreza
First Gear

Post by illnastyimpreza »

I bought some of the spray seafoam. And it seems to work pretty good. So I have been curious about trying it in the engine...just spray into the throttle body?? Or should I buy the liquid stuff and add to my oil before I change it?
It's all about the power to wait ratio

98 Impreza RS
91 Legacy L wagon
IronMonkeyL255
Fourth Gear

Post by IronMonkeyL255 »

I just ran some of the liquid stuff through mine.

That is some funny stuff. It put off a TON of smoke.

The engine seems to run a bit smoother.
Disclaimer: If anything I post is inaccurate, please correct me. I do not wish to add to the misinformation floating around on the internet.

That being said, everything I post is accurate to the best of my knowledge.

Rio Red '91 Legacy SS
dscoobydoo
Fifth Gear

Post by dscoobydoo »

OK, so HOW are you guys putting the liquid stuff into the engine? PCV lines? vacuum lines? Pics of what you used would be great!
Yes I have too many Subarus
No you can't have one
05 GD-STI
01- RS- Swapped-07 STI
00- GF
93 SS- "the original Robtune" (now in new hands)
stipro
Third Gear

Post by stipro »

I put it in, fed in through a tube, via the pvc valve. I will attach a photo when I get one, shortly.
IronMonkeyL255
Fourth Gear

Post by IronMonkeyL255 »

I just pulled the vacuum hose for the check valve between the charcoal canister and the intake. Put about 6 ounces of seafoam in a cup and let it suck it up.

Next time, I may just do it at the little vacuum hose on the throttle body. Seems like it'd get dispersed more evenly from there.....

It seems to have brought my idle back down. Lately, it's been idling @ ~1000 RPM with the a/c off. Now, it is just where it should be (~750/800).

Also, as I mentioned before, it seems to be a bit smoother.
Disclaimer: If anything I post is inaccurate, please correct me. I do not wish to add to the misinformation floating around on the internet.

That being said, everything I post is accurate to the best of my knowledge.

Rio Red '91 Legacy SS