Easier way to De-yellow headlights. 30 min max

Anything and Everything about the Body, from paint to undercoating and interior, including in-car entertainment (ICE).

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

LaureltheQueen
Spelling Nazi
Spelling Nazi

Easier way to De-yellow headlights. 30 min max

Post by LaureltheQueen »

I don't mean to steal anyone's thunder, but here's a really easy how-to that I put together a couple months ago. :)

After time, plastic(acrylic) headlights cloud and yellow, here's a quick and easy way to remedy that.

First, make sure your headlights are very clean, shit, wash the whole car, it definitely won't hurt anything.

See how clouded that is?

Gross!

Okay, so now you're ready to begin.
You'll need:
Regular nail polish remover. Acetone-free will not work, so dont get that

Metal Cleaner, don't use this kind, it sucks

Automotive scratch/swirl remover, and wax, I got an old bottle of combo crap, that worked great

and Rain-x if you feel so inclined

Alrighty...

First, get a cotton ball, and soak it in the nail polish remover, go to town scrubbing the bejesus out of your headlight. What you're doing is taking off the top layer of acrylic, that's gotten all cloudy-looking. THe cotton ball should turn a yellowy blackish color.

Here's the difference between my acetoned headlight and my old poopy one.

Once your headlight dries, it should be all cloudy, and freaky looking, like you ruined it. Put your emotions in check, refrain from yelling obcenities, and continue on.

Scrub your headlights with the metal cleaner. scrub like you've never scrubbed before. Clean off the metal polish as reccomended. Then you're ready for the wax. THe purpose of the wax is to fill in all of the little hole thingies left from the Nail polish remover, and metal polish. So, wax, and if you like, rain-x your headlight.

Here's the comparison for ya:
Before:
After:
THAWA
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by THAWA »

That looks great. How long does it last clear like that? Also do you scrub all three with the cotton ball or do you use different things?
ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by ciper »

I think its a bad idea. You strip the surface down and make it more likely to yellow the second time.

I can give my headlights a quick rub with an oily rag and get them fairly clear.
scottzg
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by scottzg »

i think my headlights are at stage 2- clear, but scuffed from all my rubbing. I think maybe just waxing them might be the ticket. I know most of us have rubbed the snot out of them with whatever kind of cleaner, ill report on it tommorow.
[url=http://www.thawa.net/gallery/albums/album108/DSCF0330.jpg]90 legacy of awesomeness[/url]
lgyee4
In Neutral

another way

Post by lgyee4 »

I found that using a plastic cleaner works best. (McKay #321). It is formulated to remove stuff without changing the surface. That McKay stuff is made for plastic windows on convertables, and lens on helmets. It works great.
1993 Turbo Wagon Stock w/turbo back 3"exh, KYB's
LaureltheQueen
Spelling Nazi
Spelling Nazi

Post by LaureltheQueen »

My lights have been wonderfully clear for a month and a half now. I pulled the how-to off of NICO(nissan board) and made pictures/adapted it slightly.