Review-EBC Greenstuff Front Pads

Got a new part? Is it the best thing you've ever seen? Is it a complete ripoff? Let us know about your parts and service.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Subaru_Nation555
Third Gear

Review-EBC Greenstuff Front Pads

Post by Subaru_Nation555 »

As much as I love my car, I gotta admit the brakes kinda suck. Recently I needed to change the rear pads and rotors and figured that I might as well upgrade the fronts a little too. So I ordered some stainless steel lines and EBC Greenstuff pads. I had heard that some forum members had used these pads before so I figured I would give them a try.

A couple of months later I can reflect on them a little. Lets start with some pros and cons.

Pros:
Better cold braking over stock/generic pads
Decent stopping when hot
Never any brake fade
Can trigger ABS at almost any speed
Greens my favorite color
Seem to be wearing well

Cons:
Dust like crazy
Squeak sometimes when cold
Expected better from pads of this price
My old generic pads seemed almost as good for 1/2 the price

These pads are okay but I dont think I could have justified spending $80 for them. Also make sure you bed in the pads properly, I dont think I did very well so that might be why they squeak.

In retrospect, I really should have saved my money and purchased some WRX wheels and brakes. The route I am taking this summer is 16" wheels and a brake kit. Hopefully this will make the car brake like I want it to.
'06 Impreza 2.5i wagon
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

The WRX upgrade with Hawk pads on mine outstops my Kumho tires. Highly recommended.

Steve
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
greg donovan
Fourth Gear

Post by greg donovan »

what fluid are you guys running?

that makes a HUGE difference.
96 Impreza L sedan
97 legacy outback limited
00 Impreza RS sedan
NuwanD
Second Gear

Post by NuwanD »

i've found that ebc products are very abrasive on rotors
Nuwan
1992 Open Class Legacy Turbo
2004 Forester XT
2000 Impreza 2.5RSC (Supercharged)
1990 Rover Mini 1000
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

I haven't, but I used cryo-treated rotors. Then again, they were the most worn rotors I'd seen (usually the warp unbearably way before they get pad-grooved that deep), but that was about three years later.

Steve
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
93Leg-c
Fourth Gear

Post by 93Leg-c »

greg, what brake fluid would you recommend?
'94 TW
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

It's not about locking the wheels, it's about the modulation of power.

Stock brakes with some shit pads, will lock the wheels at speed.

A great setup would be WRX front brakes with good pads (bobcats), ATE Superblue fluid, SS lines, and maybe a BF prop valve.
2009 Outback 2.5XT. 5MT. Satin White Pearl.
2009 Impreza 2.5i Premium. Blue.

[quote="scottzg"]...I'm not a fan of the vagina...[/quote][quote="evolutionmovement"]This will all go much easier if people stop doubting me.[/quote]
jamal
Vendor
Vendor

Post by jamal »

I have a set of WRX front calipers and brackets in my room. From what I've heard, bobcats sound like the best choice, and I think that's what I'll get when I do my brakes this summer. The problem is I don't see them available for the rear of my N/A. I'm also considering the BF prop valve, and if I've got the money, I'll call the guy I got the front brakes from, buy his rear calipers if he still has them, and go H6 rears. Although I suppose I could always go turbo or wagon rears. It seems to me like H6 would be better for more pad options and better brake balance.
peter@functionauto.com