Tired of mismatched interior parts?

Anything and Everything about the Body, from paint to undercoating and interior, including in-car entertainment (ICE).

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

kastrix
First Gear

Tired of mismatched interior parts?

Post by kastrix »

So lately I have been having trouble finding some interior parts, mostly in the center console area. That little rectangle piece was dark blue, my center box was tan, and my tray in the front there was blue.
Since the rest of my car is tan I wasn't really sure what I was going to do. Aside from endless searching at a junk yard for tan parts. I had no choice.
SOooooo. I stripped all the parts out, ran over them with some sandpaper and a wire brush. Then i made the trip to wal Mart with no center console. I purchased a can of "Spray on truck bed liner" And a texture roller used for Faux painting. I sprayed the whole thing down with a layer of the truck bed liner and allowed it to dry. Then I did a second layer, this time running the roller over it immediately after. Again let it dry. For the last layer I held the can way up high so that only little droplets of the goo would spray out.
I let it all dry and put it back into my car. It actually looks really good, IMOHO. Everyone I told thought it was gonna be another one of those projects that sucked in the end, but all have agreed that it looks good. I will get some pics up asap.
@The Beast@
1992 Legacy L 5MT
Exhaust, tint, fogs, anti-snorkus, plugs, wires, rims, tires, stereo and shifter knob :-)

A good car is like a good woman...
She will turn on when you want her to and she will always give you the ride of your life.
tris91ricer
Title Whore

Post by tris91ricer »

Customizing your interior really makes the car YOURS, and I hope you put some of your own flair into it.. it's quite fun!
Please, post pics, meng!
Last edited by tris91ricer on Thu Apr 07, 2005 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[b]'92 L Sedan[/b]
EJ20g 4.11 5sp LSD

[quote]e46 owners tend to be twats.
[/quote]
professor
Third Gear

Post by professor »

Not only that, but if you have to pick up a load of gravel, it won't scratch up your console :lol:
That beer you are drinking cost more than my car
tris91ricer
Title Whore

Post by tris91ricer »

What're you tryna say? :D
I bring my metrosexuality to my Legacy, so there.
[b]'92 L Sedan[/b]
EJ20g 4.11 5sp LSD

[/quote]
kastrix
First Gear

Post by kastrix »

Well to me this was not something that I had much of a choice about. I could either A, paint it , or B live with the mismatched colors which really bothers me. I have seen alot of people spray paint their cars, tail lights, dash boards, steering wheels, etc. etc. But that's not what I wanted to do. It seems to me that the only thing that happens when you paint them is it chips off and looks worse then it did stock. The only thing I could think of that didnt chip was rhino lining. Its got a good 3 coats on it which makes it almost a cm thick. I have thrown rocks at it, sliced it with my knife, and more and I still have yet to see any of that ugly tan interior coming up from behind the black. Black was also a nice though, because where the shifter ends is where the stock black starts for the ashtray and radio Bezel Begin. So it actually transitions nicely. The only thing that looks out of place is the E-Brake I am not quite sure I want to paint that. I will probably have to find a different one.

I will get pics up as soon as I buy a damn charger for my digi. I have a 3x4 foot rubber made box full of power cords and not one of them will work.

I'm not telling everyone to go out and do this. I am simply giving you all the information that I have. What you do with it is none of my concern.
I will mention that some of you made fun of me for ripping the fabric off of my speaker covers and painting them tan to match the car. These speaker covers have been painted for over a year now, and not a damn scratch in the paint. Those old cloth covers would never have taken the abuse that the paint has.
And Yes I do haul lots of gravel in the center console/arm rest. It took alot of trips to get the whole ton of it in there though..... Maybe i should get a truck. LOL
@The Beast@
1992 Legacy L 5MT
Exhaust, tint, fogs, anti-snorkus, plugs, wires, rims, tires, stereo and shifter knob :-)

A good car is like a good woman...
She will turn on when you want her to and she will always give you the ride of your life.
tris91ricer
Title Whore

Post by tris91ricer »

After clicking this thread again, I finally got it..
Rhino-Linings -> Truck bed lining -> Gravel.

*giggles* I'm a smart cookie!
[b]'92 L Sedan[/b]
EJ20g 4.11 5sp LSD

[/quote]
professor
Third Gear

Post by professor »

I have ripped the fabric off of my speaker covers and painted the metal inserts Krylon semi-flat black. Looks good and matches the black on the dash center very well.

Sorry about that load-of-gravel comment, it just popped into my head and forced it's way out
That beer you are drinking cost more than my car
tris91ricer
Title Whore

Post by tris91ricer »

It's okay.. In real life, and often here, I don't have a BS filter between my brain and mouth, and brain and fingers, respectively.
..gets me into trouble sometimes, and has gotten me kicked outta two highschools!
But I was right the second time.... they just got tired of me being right. :oops:
[b]'92 L Sedan[/b]
EJ20g 4.11 5sp LSD

[/quote]
93Leg-c
Fourth Gear

Post by 93Leg-c »

professor wrote:Not only that, but if you have to pick up a load of gravel, it won't scratch up your console :lol:
That comment hit my funny bone. I wonder if the neighbors heard my LOL! :lol:
'94 TW
93Leg-c
Fourth Gear

Post by 93Leg-c »

kastrix, sounds like the rhino lining paint thing is a good idea. I'll have to remember that.
'94 TW
kidwired
First Gear

Post by kidwired »

for a more factory look you can buy Zep plastic and vinyl paint. We use it restoring old BMW's. Use the Zep surface prep for a good long lasting finish. the prep actually will soften the vinyl a bit and make it tacky so the paint bonds really well.
Goodbye my sweet, parting is such sweet sorrow....1993 BC6 , Saab IC, with xtras Hallman MBC, HKS FCD , wrx exaust.
magicmike
Fifth Gear

Post by magicmike »

yeah interior paint is da bomb. I bought an all tan counsol from the scrap yard and dyed it all black. I think I have some b4 and after pics...

well have the b4 anyway lol. but with the satin black dye it all matches quite well...

-Mike

2011 Infiniti G37x Sedan - Current
2007 Ducati 800ss - Current
1994 Subaru Legacy Sport Wagon (White)
1994 Subaru Legacy Sport Wagon (Silver)
2003 Infiniri G35
1998 Infiniti I30t
1995 Honda Civic DX
1987 Subaru GL Wagon
1987 Subaru Loyale
93Leg-c
Fourth Gear

Post by 93Leg-c »

kidwired, what kind of work do you do? auto restoration? (seems like you've got experience with various products)
'94 TW
kidwired
First Gear

Post by kidwired »

heh, well I'm currently employed as a tow truck driver.... :roll: but cars of all kinds have always been a hobby/obsession.
Goodbye my sweet, parting is such sweet sorrow....1993 BC6 , Saab IC, with xtras Hallman MBC, HKS FCD , wrx exaust.