Your Opinion...

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

nurvMaster
In Neutral

Your Opinion...

Post by nurvMaster »

Hey Guys!

I'm new to the board, but have been browsing it for a while.

Anyway, I have a 93 Legacy L, the ej22 engine and am wanting more power out of it. So, i was wondering what mods you guys would reccommend me do (headers, exhaust, intake, and anything else) to get the most power out of the enginer as possible.

Also, what would you think of swapping the ej22t (a lil cheaper then the ej20) and tuning that engine?

I think swapping the 22t would give me more power in the long run, but I'm just thinking about ideas of what to do to the 22 na.

I look forward to your responses!
92whitelegacy
Second Gear

Post by 92whitelegacy »

Do a search :lol:
92 ss 275k+mi, kartboy shifter/bushings, gauges. VRG3 FCD II, NGK I'4s, TDO5-16G 4" dp CAT-less 3"tbe 4.11 gears.
A_DuB
First Gear

Post by A_DuB »

Hey nurvMaster!

It's always nice to have a new face in the crowd. I hope you come to love your car as much as all of us love ours. This particular board isn't like your average Japanese import internet forums, we're pretty conservative.

Regarding your question though, there are a thousand and one options and ultimately its up to you and your needs. And if your anything like me or many of our other members, your most likely a young male with not much cash and fresh out of school with a job you need to drive to. Now as far as the car goes, its probably got alot of miles and may need some work.

What I would recommend if this is your case is to save you money!!! Do the little things to keep you from spending all you cash on new engine. If your plan is to replace it eventually save up the money for it now and wait till the engine quits on you. In the mean time spend your money on suspension, break upgrades, interior stuff, or audio equipment. You'll be glad you saved your money if something breaks too.

Welcome to the board!
91 Rio Red SS 5MT 4WD
87 Ford Broco V8 5.8Ltr
96 Hyundai Accent Hatchback
Subtle
Third Gear

Post by Subtle »

A-Dub

Do you ever paddle the Wenatchee River?
Subtle (normally aspirated engines suck):
05 Legacy GT Wagon with Cobb chip.
62 Alfa Romeo Spider- had a 1.6 L with 80 hp, now 2 L with 160 torque. Curb weight 2050 lbs.
93 Leg Twgn fmic, vf34, etc. ((sold))
Project_Legacy
Third Gear

Post by Project_Legacy »

^ LoL.

anyway this topic has been covered before... there isnt much you can do to the 2.2 N/A unless you go to some extremes such as doug with his supercharged one, or others with a custom turbo set-up. it would be a lot of work but if your down for it, have the money and time, then i'd say go for it! u can get Delta Cams to regrind ur cams. there was a post on that not too long ago. headers/exhaust would make it sound real nice, same with an intake. it still wont get u very far tho as there isnt too much else u can do if u are going to stay N/A.

But if u dont have the money/time like most others out here then yea A-DuB's advice would be good. and since your thinkin about swapping in a 2.2 turbo anyway, u shouldnt buy any headers/exhaust stuff for ur 2.2 N/A as it wont work for the 2.2 Turbo.
00 5MT AWD 2.5 RS - New Project
nurvMaster
In Neutral

Post by nurvMaster »

Ok, cool...yea, I might be selling my legacy for a turbo one here pretty soon, i think that might be best, then i can do more upgrades on that engine.

thanks!
SP-Boxer
First Gear

Post by SP-Boxer »

I don't know how it is in America. But I have a 2.2 engine with SOHC. I know that an option for me is to put on DOHC heads. The power should increase from 136hp to something like 160-170hp

Buying a turbo is not an option, because there are not more than 50 turbo's in my country...
In the future I want to do an engineswap too! 8)
"I feel Legacy"
Project_Legacy
Third Gear

Post by Project_Legacy »

really. i never heard of that on an N/A yet to get more power. wouldnt that drop the compression ratio some?
00 5MT AWD 2.5 RS - New Project