Plopping on a TD05

That spinning thing that makes all of the cool noises. OE and Aftermarket.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Plopping on a TD05

Post by Legacy777 »

I just got confirmation that samco kit is headed my way. I haven't had any time to mess with putting the AWIC on, and won't for probably another month.

I would really rather not fab everything up to use the AWIC with the stock turbo, and then have to redo things when I upgrade turbos.

So I'm curious, if I were to get one of deadbolt's TD05's with the standard 90 deg outlet and plumb it up to the AWIC, and run stock boost....would I be overtaxing the fuel system?
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

You mean one that's unmodified?

And by stock boost you mean just hooking the wastegate actuator straight to the nipple on the compressor?

You probably would be overtaxing the fuel system a little bit, especially with your CES exhaust. You have a wideband oxygen sensor, right? So you could tell.

If you do need more fuel, you could just throw on a rising-rate fuel pressure regulator and bleed most of the signal off..
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

I guess I was just looking at their TD05H-16G standard 90 deg inlet.

The only thing I would probably do is get it ceramic coated. I'd have to look into the ported version to see what benefits it would provide.

Stock boost....I was meaning stock tlegacy boost aprox 9 psig. What is the standard wastegate pressure? Yeah I have a wideband.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Ah, yeah, I just was making sure you didn't mean the reclocked one.

The wastegate actuator on the TD05 produces about 9 psi, so stock boost control won't work but also isn't necessary.
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
Kelly
Fourth Gear

Post by Kelly »

I put down 215WHP with stock injectors, stock ECU, stock turbo, Walbro pump.

Still had fuel.

You'll be fine below 15 PSI.
LaureltheQueen
Spelling Nazi
Spelling Nazi

Post by LaureltheQueen »

I've got more fuel than I can handle. Maybe we can trade and I'll just transfer some to you. ;)
Laurel Tuning Stage 15
92 Touring Wagon 5MT 16G
[quote="NICO I WRX U"]the streets are my track[/quote]
wiscon_mark
Fourth Gear

Post by wiscon_mark »

I'm no turbo expert, but the Walbro fuel pump is the first mod along the fuel injection improvment lines, and the only necessary one until you go crazy with the boost.

:lol: @ Laurel...give me some fuel ;)
[url=http://www.sl-i.net/FORUM/viewtopic.php?t=486]1995 Legacy Outback 5MT[/url]
185,000 miles
www.sl-i.net (for all Legacys!)
Project_Legacy
Third Gear

Post by Project_Legacy »

rallitektech wrote:I put down 215WHP with stock injectors, stock ECU, stock turbo, Walbro pump.

Still had fuel.

You'll be fine below 15 PSI.

how'd u put those kind of numbers?? that sounds like something i want to do. what other upgrades besides that did u have? front mount? pulley kit? exhaust? and that was with the TD-05 correct?
00 5MT AWD 2.5 RS - New Project
legacy92ej22t
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by legacy92ej22t »

Plop away Josh, plop away!

You'll be fine running 9 psi on the TD05H-16G.

Off boost driveabilty is sooo much nicer on the 16G too. The compressor housing is much larger then the VF11 and so you get much better flow.
-Matt

'92 SS 5mt. All go and no show. Sold :(
'94 Audi UrS4 Modded (new project)
'96 Outback 5mt.
'07 Legacy 2.5i SE

[quote="Redlined"]
Oh... and I hope the fucker get bunked with Gunter, arrested for raping Gorillas.[/quote]
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Excellent!

Thanks for the feedback. Once I get my exam out of the way, I'll look into getting one of these guys from deadbolt, and getting the AWIC installed.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

georryan
Fourth Gear

Post by georryan »

I noticed a big difference in drivability with the vf8. The larger compressor is noticable when you are off boost. The CES crosspipe up front even made a different sound. It is still fluttery like it was before, but it has a different tone to it. I'm not sure if it is related or not, but I figured the larger exhaust side of the turbo is what caused that.
91 Pearl White Sport Sedan
04 Java Black Pearl Forester XT
2014 Volvo S60 T5
18 KTM 1290 Adventure S

87 Grey GL-10 Sedan (so long old buddy) - donated
97 Toyota 4Runner SR5 - sold
2002 BMW r1150rt-p - sold
2004 BMW r1200ST - sold
2016 BMW r1200RS - sold
Kelly
Fourth Gear

Post by Kelly »

Ditto on the off boost driveability. Much MUCH smoother boosting, and low end tourque. My car is actually tourquey! I shift at 3K in town all the time! :shock:

Fuel lines are not neccisarry, until 450-500hp. We have proven it, and several other tuners have too (cept for the ones trying to sell you a Perrin fuel rail kit installed with your "custom reflash")

Screw the pully kit. There is no horsepower gain there, unless you've got like a 3lb flywheel. I had many other "bolt on" mods when I put down that number, like a header, open exhaust, intake, intercooler, Good Oil/plugs/coil/wires/fuel.

Run it to fuel cut Josh.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Again....thanks for the feedback guys.

I'll be getting back to the car after all this other crap is done. Right now, she's be sleeping in the garage. It's been several weeks since I've driven it. I need to get it inspected as well...damn.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

Adam West
Fourth Gear

Post by Adam West »

What about his Q on Ceramic coating and porting? Porting adds a buck fifty to the price and the coating is $75...can anyone go into the benis of each on this particular product (i.e. numbers, HP and temp differential?)? Thanks gang!

Oh, and VRG3? You have a pm...
93SS 5MT White, TD05-16G, TMIC, 3"Turboback, Magnaflow, Alu Rad, H&R Sports, AGX struts, F/R STBs, Whiteline Sways, ALK+Endlinks, Odyssey 925, AC delete, Evo8 Recaros, Sparco 4p, 3.9 LSD, Hellas+air horns, IPD short throw, 99RSrims, s03's
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Adam,

I've actually purchased the turbo.

Here's the thread with pics
http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?t=27390

I went with the ceramic coatings, monster ported turbine option, & compressor inlet porting. As I mentioned in the thread, it looks like the outlet was ported too.

I went with those options because I think they were the best bang for the buck, and will help the turbo perform optimally.

I got the turbo installed on friday, check out my other thread in this forum for more info.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT