Hubs Hubs Hubs (as a cure for bad bearings?)

Where the power meets the road.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

mgjs1
First Gear

Hubs Hubs Hubs (as a cure for bad bearings?)

Post by mgjs1 »

--> Can anyone provide a rundown on what hubs fit our cars from later model years?

--> Also factors that may make a fitment difference (left/right, front/back, 4WD/FWD, etc)?

--> Finally, whether it makes sense to replace hubs as an easier/cheaper way of replacing burnt-out bearings.

(ALL my bearings are shot to varying degrees and right now I'm looking for hub assy on all four corners and want all the MY options and/or to be convinced there is a better way to go).

Thanks! :-)
JasonGrahn
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by JasonGrahn »

Why not just replace bearings?
-Jason Grahn
mgjs1
First Gear

Post by mgjs1 »

Because I've gotten the distinct impression it can be easier (if doing yourself) and cheaper (if buying your own hubs and having a shop do it) to do the hubs than the bearing unpack/repack.

Wrong?

(still interested in answers to the original questions too)
mgjs1
First Gear

Post by mgjs1 »

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller ...
mgjs1
First Gear

Post by mgjs1 »

Ok, anyone want to weigh-in on replacing bearings vs. replacing the entire hub? Mainly I want to keep cost down at the shop.

(If the answer is hubs, what later model years fit?).
Manarius
Fourth Gear

Post by Manarius »

Cheaper to do bearings. Either way you're going to have to remove the hub from the car. You can then either pay $45 for a bearing or $99 for a hub. And it takes all of maybe 10 minutes for pressing a bearing out and pressing a new one in.
Manarius wrote:The Neo-Cons would call me a defeatist. I'd call me a realist. I'm realistically saying that a snowball has better chances in the blazes of hell than democracy has in Iraq.
1995 Polo Green Subaru SVX (189k miles - 08/2007-Present)
93Leg-c
Fourth Gear

Post by 93Leg-c »

I believe most hubs will fit -- up to a 04 Impreza and at least an 03 Forester and Outbacks. But if you have ABS, you must get a hub for ABS system--the ABS hubs come with the ring sensor on it whereas the non-ABS hubs don't have that ring sensor.
'94 TW
93Leg-c
Fourth Gear

Post by 93Leg-c »

As regards replacing the hub vs replacing the bearings, here's my viewpoint -- IF you can get hubs with the bearings in good condition AND they cost less than the cost of bearings plus labor, I'd say go for the hubs.

I just had the bearing on all four corners replaced with Koyo bearings (they make bearing for racing). They were pressed in correctly with proper pre-load and everything. On the way home from the shop (about 20 miles), the right front bearings self-destruct. I had to get the Suby put on a flatbed and taken back to the mechanic shop. I got a j/y spindle/hub assembly and no problem.

After that right front spindle was replaced when I got home and parked my car, I could smell the left front bearing grease burning. And the wheel was warm to the touch whereas the right front wheel was cold. Another j/y spindle put on.

Now the rear bearings need replacing (or another set of hubs) because they are riding a little rough. People who ride in my car wonder why it vibrates so much.
'94 TW
mgjs1
First Gear

Post by mgjs1 »

Thanks for the good reply 93leg. That's what I was thinking about hub vs. bearing, and its good to confirm that later model years should fit. I decided to get bearings (Timken - $30 each) for the front two corners and I'll have to do the back two corners soonish (these original hubs/bearings are at 211K mi, which seems pretty damn good).

The reason I asked is that I had the potential of getting hubs cheap (compared to bearings + labor)... but didn't work out time-wise. I'll prepare for the back end a little better. Also of note, the shop quoted 1.5-2 hours less to do the hubs than the bearings (1.5 vs. 3-3.5).

I'd like to do the back 2 hubs myself, so I'll be keeping my eye out for nice low-mileage hubs off a later model car. Thanks again.
http://www.circlestickers.com
Manarius
Fourth Gear

Post by Manarius »

My mechanic did a rear wheel bearing in 1 hour...I don't know what yours is smoking with that 1.5 - 3-3.5. Doing both bearings would have taken 2 hours...that 3 hours must include a lunch break or something.
Manarius wrote:The Neo-Cons would call me a defeatist. I'd call me a realist. I'm realistically saying that a snowball has better chances in the blazes of hell than democracy has in Iraq.
1995 Polo Green Subaru SVX (189k miles - 08/2007-Present)
Binford
Third Gear

Post by Binford »

Book time.
'91 5MT SS-TD04, WRX TMIC, Bosal twin dump, Spec LW flywheel/pressure plate, FCD, Walbro fuel pump-RIP
'93 5MT N/A wagon, over 400,000 miles!-Gone, parts lived on
'94 Auto SS-vf24, WRX TMIC, Bosal twin dump, Meth kit coming soon!-Now RWD!
mgjs1
First Gear

Post by mgjs1 »

Well, 3 hours of labor (at $45/hr) later I have two new front bearings and my problems are solved. $200 for the total job (I brought in bearings - $60). Wish they'd done 2 hours, but hell, I'm happy to be able to hear my radio again!

... now if the droning from the rears (which I couldn't hear over all the racket before) would just go away, I'd be set... Golly it sucks to put in 30%+ of the value of your car in repairs!