after engine swap, front end sits higher

Struts, spring, anti-rollbars, braces and the like.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Project_Legacy
Third Gear

after engine swap, front end sits higher

Post by Project_Legacy »

after i did my swap a little while back, the front end of my car sits higher than the rear. it looks a little awkward. would i be able to put some front lowering springs on and keep the rear as stock? how would the car handle?? also, my car has about 250k miles on it and i believe the suspension has never been replaced. would it be a good time to maybe re-do the struts and springs? the ride is terrible, and there is so much body roll... if anyone can help me out let me know! thanks!

o yea, if i was to re-do all the suspension, would i have to get different spring rates for the front and rear since the front sits higher at stock? im still new to suspension bits... any info would help!
00 5MT AWD 2.5 RS - New Project
rallysam
Fourth Gear

Post by rallysam »

Just out of curiosity, Why does the front sit higher now? You started with an NA engine, and swapped in a turbo engine, and it's a lot lighter???
'00 Impr RS - sold
'91 Legacy Turbo 5MT - mothballed
13psi, TurboXS TBE, WRX IC, Hallman MBC, TurboXS FCD, KYB AGX, Phil's STI seat, SPT short shifter, David Carter hood, Zeitronix widebandO2, Kuhmo rally tires, STI IC spray, thanks:gearboxtech.com
Yukonart
Cradle Robber
Cradle Robber

Post by Yukonart »

Maybe you mounted the engine upsidedown? :lol:
"Power is NOTHING without control"
1994 & 2005 Legacy GT Wagons
Project_Legacy
Third Gear

Post by Project_Legacy »

lol. well ok this is the thing.

i swapped in my hybrid motor JDM ej20g block with USDM ej22t heads and intake manifold. im thinking this combo weighs less than a stock ej22e??

and no i did not mount it upside down. :lol:

my suspension is pretty old too. but i didnt change any of that during the swap... didnt even touch any of it.
A_DuB
First Gear

Post by A_DuB »

Just got around to replacing my struts the other day and boy were they ever toast. The original struts had ~178,000 miles on them. I would say your way past due for new suspension or at least struts with 250,000 miles on the originals components.
91 Rio Red SS 5MT 4WD
87 Ford Broco V8 5.8Ltr
96 Hyundai Accent Hatchback
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

When I pulled the springs off of the 91 in my driveway, the struts fully compressed on their own. If those were blown at 120k, yours are definately blown.
2009 Outback 2.5XT. 5MT. Satin White Pearl.
2009 Impreza 2.5i Premium. Blue.

[quote="scottzg"]...I'm not a fan of the vagina...[/quote][quote="evolutionmovement"]This will all go much easier if people stop doubting me.[/quote]
0perose
Third Gear

Post by 0perose »

mine are completely gone at 150k... I'll post a video of me bouncing the car by standing on the back bumper once I can get it off my camera... struts aren't doing anything, just the springs

I don't think I'd take it to 250k but our roads are really bad here
yo mang, can I get a rootshell?

1991 N/A, 4eat, crazy lights, junk suspension, sticker wagon
1989 xt6 work in progress
Project_Legacy
Third Gear

Post by Project_Legacy »

yea id say they are bad. they do bounce when i push down on the car. so i guess im gonna be changing those out. might as well go aftermarket. ive been reading on subaru review that when people used the gr-2's with aftermarket springs (lowering) that the ride was a little harsh. and then i read about the agx's and it seems that they break after a couple months?? thats what i read on there anyway. does anyone have a good cheap combination of struts/springs that would work for me? let me know wassup! thanks! :D
Bheinen74
Fourth Gear

Post by Bheinen74 »

after the swap, did you thro the old block in the trunk? or did you collect any bodies back there. that would make the front sit higher. :twisted:
91 Legacy Sport Sedan 4eat
91crx si 165k
91 Civic RT4WD manual trans 168k
91crx Si 40.5k
85 BRAT Gl 140
97 SVX 74k
rallysam
Fourth Gear

Post by rallysam »

Project_Legacy wrote: then i read about the agx's and it seems that they break after a couple months?? thats what i read on there anyway.
I've been daily driving AND rallycrossing on the same set of AGX shocks for 4 years. But, I don't think AGX or Gr2 work well with lowering springs that have more than 1" drop. Maybe that's why you heard that people had AGX breaking.
'00 Impr RS - sold
'91 Legacy Turbo 5MT - mothballed
13psi, TurboXS TBE, WRX IC, Hallman MBC, TurboXS FCD, KYB AGX, Phil's STI seat, SPT short shifter, David Carter hood, Zeitronix widebandO2, Kuhmo rally tires, STI IC spray, thanks:gearboxtech.com
Project_Legacy
Third Gear

Post by Project_Legacy »

rallysam wrote: I've been daily driving AND rallycrossing on the same set of AGX shocks for 4 years. But, I don't think AGX or Gr2 work well with lowering springs that have more than 1" drop. Maybe that's why you heard that people had AGX breaking.
are u using the stock springs off of the legacy? i hear they work pretty good with those. how can i tell if my springs are bad? i probably would only want to lower my car about an inch but i want the front and back to be at the same height. i would probably need softer springs up front wouldnt i?
Manarius
Fourth Gear

Post by Manarius »

My front sits higher than my rear on my car.
Manarius wrote:The Neo-Cons would call me a defeatist. I'd call me a realist. I'm realistically saying that a snowball has better chances in the blazes of hell than democracy has in Iraq.
1995 Polo Green Subaru SVX (189k miles - 08/2007-Present)
Binford
Third Gear

Post by Binford »

Manarius wrote:My front sits higher than my rear on my car.
So did mine until I changed struts from a 2.5 RS. My rears were TOTALLY shot. I have pics that SHOW they were goners. :lol:
'91 5MT SS-TD04, WRX TMIC, Bosal twin dump, Spec LW flywheel/pressure plate, FCD, Walbro fuel pump-RIP
'93 5MT N/A wagon, over 400,000 miles!-Gone, parts lived on
'94 Auto SS-vf24, WRX TMIC, Bosal twin dump, Meth kit coming soon!-Now RWD!