Any advice for dropping the steering rack?

Struts, spring, anti-rollbars, braces and the like.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

IronMonkeyL255
Fourth Gear

Any advice for dropping the steering rack?

Post by IronMonkeyL255 »

Looks like I'm gonna have to drop my steering rack soon...

It's been leaking ever-so-slightly for a while now, but it looks as though it has chosen now to start pissing fluid and a greater rate than normal.

I already tightened all the fittings I could get to without dropping it, but that doesn't seem to have done the trick.

Anyone have any advice?
Disclaimer: If anything I post is inaccurate, please correct me. I do not wish to add to the misinformation floating around on the internet.

That being said, everything I post is accurate to the best of my knowledge.

Rio Red '91 Legacy SS
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

To drop the rack, you need to loosen the u-joint holding it to the steering wheel rod. Mark the position of the splines so you can install it back the same way.

Pop the ball joints off, and loosen the fittings to the pump, and the rack should come out relatively easy.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
IronMonkeyL255
Fourth Gear

Post by IronMonkeyL255 »

I don't need to fully remove it, just far enough so I can get to all the fittings to tighten them up.
Disclaimer: If anything I post is inaccurate, please correct me. I do not wish to add to the misinformation floating around on the internet.

That being said, everything I post is accurate to the best of my knowledge.

Rio Red '91 Legacy SS
206er
Fifth Gear

Post by 206er »

personally, I wouldnt drop it unless absolutely necessary. our crossmembers are made so that water can get in and sit in the brackets that hold the rack. I broke 3 out of 4 of the bolts, and believe me, that is not a bolt you want to break. drilling out broken bolts is never fun, doing it lying on your back and getting showered with shavings is even worse.
1994 Touring Wagon: ruby mica, 5mt swapped