Help, please

Struts, spring, anti-rollbars, braces and the like.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Legacypusher
First Gear

Help, please

Post by Legacypusher »

I had my new GR-2's installed by a local shop, and the ride is much, much, improved. Except for the one thing, the R rear sounds like a creaking spring or something whenever I brake or accelerate or hit bumps. The shop looked at it again and said nothing is loose, though it sounds like it. Any advice on this one? It's driving me crazy.
Don

'90 L wagon, fwd, 5MT, 156K, purchased new 11/89, and running like a top. What a great car this continues to be.
Imprezive
Fourth Gear

Post by Imprezive »

Did you replace the top strut mounts? I would check to make sure that the nut that secures the strut mount to the damper shaft is tight.
1992 T-Leg = 195whp 197wtq SOLD :(
1988 4Runner RIP
2006 Suzuki DRZ400sm
2007 Miata
1994 Miata
2003 WRX Wagon
2016 Mazda 3
Legacypusher
First Gear

Post by Legacypusher »

Didn't replace the top mounts, and will check the nut in the morning. I don't think the shop checked it today, since the speaker cover wasn't removed.

Thanks for the input.
Don

'90 L wagon, fwd, 5MT, 156K, purchased new 11/89, and running like a top. What a great car this continues to be.
AWD_addict
Fifth Gear

Post by AWD_addict »

My rear suspension squeaked before new struts/springs/tophats and it still squeaks. So it could be a bushing or something stupid.
90 L+ wgn
Legacypusher
First Gear

Post by Legacypusher »

I checked the upper bolts and all were tight. That would be way too simple, of course. I've never had a noise there before, and the other three are silent, so this is nuts. Is it possible that when the strut was mounted the spring was not seated/oriented correctly, and that might be the problem?
Don

n2x4
Fourth Gear

Post by n2x4 »

How many miles have they been on the car? I know after I installed my GR2's, I had squeaks and I gave it a few weeks to settle and break in and they all went away. You could check other bushings too, there may be some with excessive wear on that wheel, it does happen (and I'm very familiar with it).
SUBARUEHS Racing
Imprezive
Fourth Gear

Post by Imprezive »

Well its most likely either a squeaky bushing or a spring that isnt seated right like you suggested it might be. I dont think either is too serious, but if its that annoying you should just pull the strut and check it out.
1988 4Runner RIP
2006 Suzuki DRZ400sm
2007 Miata
1994 Miata
2003 WRX Wagon
2016 Mazda 3
Legacypusher
First Gear

Post by Legacypusher »

Thanks. The creakings and groanings are coming from the top of the strut tower and nothing is loose up there, so I'm guessing that the spring isn't seated in the old depression in the top mount. I'll have the shop check it out on Monday--he'll do it to get me off his back, I'm sure.
Don

n2x4
Fourth Gear

Post by n2x4 »

If it's just a matter of the spring rubbing the mount, and it is seated correctly, wrap the part of the spring that contacts the plate in rubber or electrical tape, that will prevent it from squeaking. Don't go too thick though.
SUBARUEHS Racing
Legacypusher
First Gear

Post by Legacypusher »

I finally took a look under the fender today. The installer told me that they had sprayed PB on everything when I took it back. Well, everything inside the car, so that it smelled for a few days. No sign of lube on the upper mount under the fender, so I shot some up there and around the bottom of the spring and bounced the wagon up and down a few times, and the noise lessened by the bounce, so I'm hopeful that this will do it. I just hope PB Blaster doesn't eat rubber. If it does, I'm in trouble. I took it for a short test drive, and it was way, way better. We will see in the long run.
Don

Imprezive
Fourth Gear

Post by Imprezive »

Try some synthetic lubricant in spray can form, I have some I think its valvoline.
1988 4Runner RIP
2006 Suzuki DRZ400sm
2007 Miata
1994 Miata
2003 WRX Wagon
2016 Mazda 3
Legacypusher
First Gear

Post by Legacypusher »

Thanks. I have some silicone spray around here somewhere. Probably should have used that first. 20/20 hindsight is one of my blessings.
Don

Legacypusher
First Gear

Post by Legacypusher »

Go figure.. I kept getting the "creaking" noise even after repeated shots of lubricant to the upper mount. I finally thought to shoot the bottom of the spring again and the noise was gone. Way easier to squirt, too. Firm shocks and no squeaks; what a treat.
Don