Should I sell the old girl?

Subaru-related topics that don't belong anywhere else...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Should I sell my car?

Sell it
33%
Keep it
67%
Sell it to me!
No votes

Total votes: 6

petridish38
Second Gear

Should I sell the old girl?

Post by petridish38 »

Hey guys! Super long time, no talk! i've been busy with this, that, the other, school, work, etc...

Anyways... I was driving down the road one day and i saw a 99 impreza outback wagon for sale.... so i stopped off and bought it.

The question that I have is, what should i do with my 1990 Legacy LS FWD MT with 206,000 miles on it. it runs and shifts great, AC is on its last leg, moonroof...as much as i want to keep it, all it is doing is sitting in my yard collecting pine needles.

i'm wondering if any of you guys could talk some sense into me one way or the other. I can't really afford to register and insure a second car, so driving both of them is not an option.

If I were to sell it, would anyone on here be interested?

Andrew
1990 Legacy LS Sedan FWD NA MT
209,000 miles!
2002 Impreza WRX Sport Wagon
http://www.myspace.com/petridish38
http://www.cardomain.com/id/petridish38
entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

Andrew! If you're not gonna post for over 4 months, you can't just come back and say you're gonna sell the car! :evil:

I'd buy it, but it's FWD ;)
2000 Subaru Legacy B4 RSK

"Der Wahnsinn ist nur eine schmale Brücke/die Ufer sind Vernunft und Trieb"

*Formerly DerFahrer*

@entirelyturbo on social media, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok
petridish38
Second Gear

Post by petridish38 »

subyluvr2212 wrote:Andrew! If you're not gonna post for over 4 months, you can't just come back and say you're gonna sell the car! :evil:
That's why i'm looking for people like you to talk me out of it... or into it... :?

Andrew
1990 Legacy LS Sedan FWD NA MT
209,000 miles!
2002 Impreza WRX Sport Wagon
http://www.myspace.com/petridish38
http://www.cardomain.com/id/petridish38
entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

What are you gonna do when you wanna have fun? The Impreza IS automatic :x

*Formerly DerFahrer*

@entirelyturbo on social media, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok
Richard
Third Gear

Post by Richard »

Get insurance quotes for both cars. I went and shopped around for a little while and I'm now paying less for two cars than I was paying for one. And the coverage is great!
-2004 Liquid Silver WRX "Pretty Hate Machine"
entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

I should throw my $0.02 in and say that I pay $68 a month for insurance. That is just the bare-bones to be legal to drive, and it's through some hole-in-the-wall second-rate insurance company. But for two cars, for a 22-year-old male, that's pretty damn good IMO.

*Formerly DerFahrer*

Richard
Third Gear

Post by Richard »

Ya know, running the bare minimum can really fu*k you in the end. My state doesn't require insurance, but only morons drive without it. Yet, if someone without it crashes into you, it becomes your responsibility to cover his ass. If you don't have enough insurance, you're really up a creek. I carry one step better for liability than standard in most areas except uninsured/underinsured. I maxed that shiat out for a reason. All these beaners near me drive like complete maniacs without any respect/awareness of other drivers/pedestrians/street poles/laws. All I need is for some Corolla with 8 kids packed in the back without car seats to smack into me.

You can trust yourself. You can trust someone driving for you. You can't trust the other asshat on the road. That's what insurance is for. I'm still in the hole from my accident and dude hasn't even settled in court yet.

That's my $0.02.

And I'm not racist. I just watch too much Mind of Mencia.
entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

I'm thinking of upgrading my insurance, at least for the Legacy, after I get done with rebuilding the whole f'ing car from scratch.

Needless to say, I'm starting to worry about losing all this money I'm dumping into it if something happens to it.

*Formerly DerFahrer*

Richard
Third Gear

Post by Richard »

It's not just the car damage you should be worried about. The accident between my '91 Festiva and a '69 Chrysler Newport (not a show car, just a rolling heap) caused over $200k in damages. We haven't even been to court yet. I ended up with $7500 in bills I had to pay and they're more than half paid for.

Because one bill is with a debt collector (I didn't have 5k laying around at the time) I have real crappy credit. I couldn't even get a Kay Jeweler's card or a card for Kohl's. When I bought my Legacy, only the Bank of Lori (my sister) would give me the money. American General of all people pretty much said even with God Himself as a cosigner I couldn't get a loan without putting up a family member's car or house as colateral. I was only looking for $2500. My bank flat out gave me the finger.

I had pretty good insurance at the time too. But after what I went through and still are going through, I made off pretty easy compared to what could have happened.

Sorry the thread got hijacked. In my opinion, look for doable insurance. You don't really need full coverage on the leggy. You could get away with the same for the 99 because at least you'd have another car to get around in. That and deductibles suck. But if it comes out a no-go, off the Legacy. At 200k plus miles, it's bound to fail someday. And people are always looking for good cheap cars. I won't be buying it though, I've got enough clutter in my driveway.
free5ty1e
Fifth Gear

Post by free5ty1e »

[hijack] I'd like to see an insurance company reimburse the owner of a modified vehicle for more than just the blue-book stock value. Doesnt matter how meticulously I kept my records and receipts and such, I never got back any of the money I spent turbocharging my 99 Saturn when someone ran a stop sign and wrecked it, even after almost a year of fighting / negotiating. Only barely enough to pay it off - good thing I made car payments on time, I was almost upside down on that one. Allstate can kiss my shiny metal ass. [/hijack]
-Chris
91SS 4EAT stock
91SS 5MT awaiting engine rebuild and VF36...
92SS 4EAT - RIP :(
94SS 5MT4.11+rLSD 289k km: RobTune550,TD05-16g @ 18psi,FMIC,3"TBE,Forester lift
Richard
Third Gear

Post by Richard »

True that. But they'll cover you if you're hurt. That's why I don't carry collission, just liability.

Bender FTW