Ej22T swap, one year later...

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

scuzzy
Third Gear

Ej22T swap, one year later...

Post by scuzzy »

I havn't been around much lately, working 8 hours without lunch then going home (I have been recently anyway - it's not all that bad with breakfast)

anyway, november of last year I took it upon myself to swap out my old EJ22E and swap in an EJ22T, minus the turbocharger, crossmember and all the goodies that make it go.

There was only one other guy who had done this before me, if I remember correctly, and there's an issue with the NA exhaust and the turbo crossmember clearance, hence why I decided to run it N/A.

Anyway, what I have to report:
One year later:
Plugs are not fouled, but I changed them anyway last week.
HLA's stopped ticking for the most part, but I still get a slight tickyticky that could be injectors or HLAs, but it doesn't bother me, going on for a year now.
my clutch is almost shot after 30k miles useage.

it runs horribly rich, about 12:1 at idle unless you let it sit and idle, then the ECU pulls fuel and it leans out.
it's never stalled from running horribly rich, but it does get close often - dropping down to 450-500 rpms (just above stall)

the MAF mod that removes the plate from the rear of the aluminum maf doesn't do anything, good or bad (yet)

I get 16MPG city, sometimes 15.
27 on the interstate.

I am not kidding.

I can go 180 miles before I hit 'E' in the city (burns about 11 gallons) and almost 300 miles on the interstate. Freaking testament to how much I need a turbocharger.

Still. 27mpg is nice.

But I only live five miles from work :(

CAPS LOCK IS CRUISE CONTROL FOR COOL.

Yeah, I did a compression check when I changed the plugs.
4: 152
1: 158
2: 159
3: 157

about the same as when I put the motor in.

Turbocharger, headers, crossmember, intake manifold, EJ22T injectors.. downpipe... all of this is sitting assembled in my freaking apartment livingroom and they are coming to set pest traps monday and inspect. (every building has to do this every year). I need a garage :(
91 Legacy Wagon, Total Rally Car.

#82 M4 TRSCCA Rallycross

http://www.youtube.com/mobilepolice/
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

I averaged 23 with heavy traffic and heavy foot. Never had any driveability issues other than a lack of horsepower at higher rpm due to the lower compression, but the bottom end power felt pretty much the same as N/A. My HLAs rapped like a MF for about two minutes and never made a sound after.

Tell them you're a sculptor and they're modern art pieces.
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
scuzzy
Third Gear

Post by scuzzy »

evolutionmovement wrote:I averaged 23 with heavy traffic and heavy foot. Never had any driveability issues other than a lack of horsepower at higher rpm due to the lower compression, but the bottom end power felt pretty much the same as N/A. My HLAs rapped like a MF for about two minutes and never made a sound after.

Tell them you're a sculptor and they're modern art pieces.
It was you with the other T as a N/A!

I must say I was skeptical about how it would run and idle when I did the swap over and kept the NA ecu, but I'm glad it turned out just fine.

I'm starting to smell oil burning again, and see little drips under the car, so I'm in for a rear main seal change, boy will that be fun.

I'll have to tell them I'm an artiste or something to get by with it, my livingroom is bare except for parts and a small TV which I never watch.

although

how to explain the floorjack is going to be interesting.

#82 M4 TRSCCA Rallycross

mikec
Third Gear

Post by mikec »

Maybe skillfully arrange the parts and then throw a sheet over them so it looks like a couch or chair in front of the TV?
"That shouldn't be a problem, since I do regularly visit the realm of subatmospheric manifold pressures." -- vrg3
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Not a bad idea! Wouldn't have worked when I used to have the engine in my kitchen since it was on a stand, but maybe the small stuff could be effectively camouflaged.

Did you rebuild the engine before the swap? I did all the seals, water pump, timing belt, gaskets, etc. Should have replaced the belt tensioner, but conveniently, in the freezing cold around midnight, the old one gave me the opportunity a few months later.
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
scuzzy
Third Gear

Post by scuzzy »

evolutionmovement wrote:Not a bad idea! Wouldn't have worked when I used to have the engine in my kitchen since it was on a stand, but maybe the small stuff could be effectively camouflaged.

Did you rebuild the engine before the swap? I did all the seals, water pump, timing belt, gaskets, etc. Should have replaced the belt tensioner, but conveniently, in the freezing cold around midnight, the old one gave me the opportunity a few months later.
Nah, I didn't do a rebuild because it was in such good shape, 87k miles or 89k, something like that. As they say in subaru land, she's just broken in.

Replaced:
Front mains seal, oil pump seal, timing belt, coolant pump seals, intake manifold gaskets, valve cover gaskets.

everything else was left alone.

#82 M4 TRSCCA Rallycross

evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Mine had 83k on it, but I wanted to make sure it wouldn't leak. The big thing was the rear main since I didn't want to deal with that.