Calling all who have JDM LSD internals

Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

skid542
Fifth Gear

Calling all who have JDM LSD internals

Post by skid542 »

As many of you may know, I recently - past couple months, got a LSD 4.11 JDM internals to swap into an open rear end - thank you Frank :). I've been busy and deliquent and wasn't getting it swapped myself so I took it to the local subaru shop to put together. They seem to know what they're doing and so I left it with them and stopped in today to discover they've hit a hitch.

It doesn't fit back in.

They have the ring on the internals and are trying to work it back into the housing and it doesn't fit. Just straight is too big.

So my question is, who here has put one of these in? Did it go into a R160 case okay? Surely I don't need a R180. Not really looking to do that swap right now. Do the internals and the ring go into the housing seperate and then get screwed together? Did you have to grind any and if so, how much? Any noticable effects?

I'm open to ideas here. They're still willing to keep working on it but I'd like to atleast offer them some advice if someone else has done one already and can put one of these guys in.

Thank you.
Lee

93' SS, 5mt swapped, 182k, not stock...
96' N/A OBW 5sp, 212k, Couple mods... RIP
99' N/A OBW, 4eat, mostly stock.
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

If they don't know what they are doing it doesn't look like it'll fit.

You should see getting a KAAZ diff into an R160 housing. It also looks like it won't fit, but it does.
2009 Outback 2.5XT. 5MT. Satin White Pearl.
2009 Impreza 2.5i Premium. Blue.

[quote="scottzg"]...I'm not a fan of the vagina...[/quote][quote="evolutionmovement"]This will all go much easier if people stop doubting me.[/quote]
mikec
Third Gear

Post by mikec »

I've seen 2 different R160 cases. A case that originally had an LSD has slightly more clearance on the driver's side (when installed in the car) than a case that didn't have an LSD. I don't remember if there's any way to tell them apart from the outside. We battled with this exact problem trying to put an LSD into a non-LSD car without changing the gear ratios - we had to swap the case as well.

We tried everything we could think of to get the diff into the case, but there was no way it would work. We didn't look into grinding it down for clearance, as we had a suitable case lying around.
"That shouldn't be a problem, since I do regularly visit the realm of subatmospheric manifold pressures." -- vrg3
skid542
Fifth Gear

Post by skid542 »

^^^ Now that does not fill me with a warm fuzzy feeling. Looks like I may be back to square one with my LSD adventure :(.
Lee

BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

Why not just grind the shit out of it?

[quote="scottzg"]...I'm not a fan of the vagina...[/quote][quote="evolutionmovement"]This will all go much easier if people stop doubting me.[/quote]
skid542
Fifth Gear

Post by skid542 »

Out of which? There is not much material to grind on the housing before you've lost any structural integrity. Grinding on the internals/ring gear will involve grinding most of the bolt head off. Then I gotta wonder about balancing issues....
Lee

BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

Grind the housing. I don't think there's an external difference between the housings.

I think it'd be OK.

93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

An OEM LSD diff case is ground like that at the factory. My buddy and I rebuilt one and came across the same problem. We looked at the LSD case, and it looked like it was ground by hand, even though original. Just hit those nubs with a carbide bit. You don't have to remove much material to get it in there.
→Dan

piddster34 at h0tma1l d0t c0m
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Yup.....just grind the inside of the case to give you the clearance you need. You shouldn't need to grind much.....just mark it and take it slow.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
skid542
Fifth Gear

Post by skid542 »

A huge thanks to everyone who's helped me through torque specs in other threads to getting the internals out to getting them back in. I love you guys :).

The reason for this post though, aside from much due thank you's, is that I got the assembled rear diff back from the mechanic today. Cost me more than I'd hoped but not unexpected. The charged me three hours which I figure is justified. A little bit of grinding and they were able to put it back together.

So the answer was to grind the case. Wanted to make sure that went on record for anyone else who ran into this problem.

I'll keep you posted once I get this guy installed. Will go great with the OBX EL headers that should be showing up this week :).

Thanks again guys.
Lee