knock sensor

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

wildacex187
First Gear

knock sensor

Post by wildacex187 »

where is the damn knock sensor?!?!?!/...
5sp 94 ss

wtb: power antenna, a rear right abs sensor and a rear lsd bolt on diff . pls pm me if u have these parts
bmxpunk
Third Gear

Post by bmxpunk »

Look straight down just to the left (driverside) of your throttle body. THere will be a little black thing with a wire bolted directly to the block
2011 Mini Countryman S All4
1970 Honda Ct90
2001 Forester S of Doom - mowed down by a Cummins
1994/5/6/01/02/03/04/06/07/08 Impregacy OUtback SS STi Type R money pit- NEW RALLYCAR!!
wildacex187
First Gear

Post by wildacex187 »

so its on the driver side of the tb? wats the easiest way to get to it? under or over? need to change it.
5sp 94 ss

wtb: power antenna, a rear right abs sensor and a rear lsd bolt on diff . pls pm me if u have these parts
Threshld1
Second Gear

Post by Threshld1 »

Well its bolted to the top of the block so you would be fairly hard pressed to get at it from underneath. Best way i found was a deep well 14mm or 12mm (cant remember off hand) and a long extension and you should be able to get right at it. Kind of a pain to get the thread started with the new one, just get creative in fishing your hand down there. Make sure you torque it down properly, it only needs somewhere around 18 ft/lbs if i remember correctly, double check cause too much will damage the sensor.

Here is the block with the manifold off if you look between the two sensors off the coolant x-over pipe you will see the threaded hole. Thats where the sensor goes.
93 SS 5MT - TD05H-16G, 06 TMIC, Walbro, Zeitronix WB-02 - Scrapped too much rust
91 SS AT
97 Outback - Prodrive quick rack, DMS 40
TheDaveler
In Neutral

Post by TheDaveler »

THANK YOU SO MUCH!
91 SS 5sp ~ 90 Wagon w/air susp ~ 92 Loyale 03 WRX - ap stage 2 ~ 08 Legacy 2.5i
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

I think it's a 10mm and the long extension method is definitely the best. To reinstall, I insert the bolt into the new sensor and hold the cable with my left hand while putting the socket extension on the bolt. I pull the cable against my other hand with the socket pushing on the bolt to keep the socket on it as I feed it down to the hole. Once I find it, I just screw it down with the extension by hand and reattach the ratchet end to snug it down.
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
New92
Third Gear

Post by New92 »

evolutionmovement wrote:I think it's a 10mm and the long extension method is definitely the best. To reinstall, I insert the bolt into the new sensor and hold the cable with my left hand while putting the socket extension on the bolt. I pull the cable against my other hand with the socket pushing on the bolt to keep the socket on it as I feed it down to the hole. Once I find it, I just screw it down with the extension by hand and reattach the ratchet end to snug it down.
Or a little amount of tape just inside the socket and again at the edge of the sensor to the outside of the socket worked for me!
1992 SS 5MT
She's growing faster in her old age!