Coolant Tank broke

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Carbix
First Gear

Coolant Tank broke

Post by Carbix »

Im all good to buy one but when the Subaru Dealer says they cant get it for me...as in they can no longer get it :evil:

I want that damn plastic thing out of my car and something nice and aluminumy in its place.

The mid plastic nipple on the back broke off with the light touch of my hand.... :evil:

Any ideas, I like new and hate plastic

Right now i have a brazz nipple in its place but i have already blown it off once on a test drive.... I drive 45min to work every day all freeway... i would be royally @#$%& to get stuck at work with this or half way there

93 2.2 Turbo 4eat Canada

Same thing that SubaruNation broke on his tank

(pic via SubaruNation)
|====.[Legacy. Central].====|
|...............................................|
|=+[Leaving A True Legacy]+=|
BXSS
Fourth Gear

Post by BXSS »

Brass barb fitting + some JB weld is the best you could do for now.

If someone could source aluminum tubing the size of the hoses I could have some aluminum tig welded tanks bolt-on made up.

I found the rad-cap/overflow fitting, but cant find aluminum tubing sized to fit the 2 hoses on the back of the tank.
I was thinking of having a couple an fittings welded on, then using an barbed adapter to connect to the hoses.
94 Legacy SS
96 Impreza OBS
99 Impreza OBS-T
04 Sienna XLE Limited AWD
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Well, any 1/2" O.D. tubing ought to fit the big ones, and 5/16" O.D. would fit the little one. OnlineMetals.com and McMaster could supply you with what you need.

But I say the welding-on-threaded-fittings thing is the way to go. That way you can use hose barb adapters meant for the job, with the proper kind of bead and everything. And, cleaning the thing could be easier.
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
Threshld1
Second Gear

Post by Threshld1 »

I would highly suggest drilling it out first and tapping it for the proper NPT threads of the barb your going to use. Then JB weld it. Ive had the JB fail twice on me before i tapped it. Also make sure your hoses are long enough where your not putting any shear force on those fittings. Thats why they always fail.
93 SS 5MT - TD05H-16G, 06 TMIC, Walbro, Zeitronix WB-02 - Scrapped too much rust
91 SS AT
97 Outback - Prodrive quick rack, DMS 40