WTF is happening to my car, RE: locks

Anything and Everything about the Body, from paint to undercoating and interior, including in-car entertainment (ICE).

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

SubaLegacy
In Neutral

WTF is happening to my car, RE: locks

Post by SubaLegacy »

Today I went out to my car to drive it. I put the key in the driver's side door lock and the key just kept turning around and around without unlocking my door. Has anyone had this happen before? Is this going to be an easy fix? It suspiciously happened today which would be just a few days after I had the new key made, anyone think the two happenings are linked somehow? PLEASE HELP I like my car locked :shock:
entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

I don't know a bunch about door stuff, but I'm pretty sure you broke something in there, a rod or something...
2000 Subaru Legacy B4 RSK

"Der Wahnsinn ist nur eine schmale Brücke/die Ufer sind Vernunft und Trieb"

*Formerly DerFahrer*

@entirelyturbo on social media, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok
scoobiedoo22
First Gear

Post by scoobiedoo22 »

It could be a rod or a plastic clip holding one of the rods or some broken components inside the lock itself. If you ask me it is probably the clip to the rod, there are two rod/clips to the door handle, one combination to the lock and one the the actual handle. The best way to find out is to remove the door panel and get a good look at it, you more than likely will have to remove the window to get to the inside of the lock and clips, not to complicated if you have some know-how about cars. Hope this helps, good luck, john k
1991 Legacy SS 5-Speed

1999 Impreza 2.5RS Coupe
magicmike
Fifth Gear

Post by magicmike »

Just letting you know that even if the rod fell off, you would not be able to turn the key 360°. also, you would probably hear the rod clanging around if you shook the door back and forth. you said you had a new key made. Try the old key and see if it still does it, if so the locking cylinder is probably damaged, but I would recomend looking at it more closely as well.

Good luck,

Mike
-Mike

2011 Infiniti G37x Sedan - Current
2007 Ducati 800ss - Current
1994 Subaru Legacy Sport Wagon (White)
1994 Subaru Legacy Sport Wagon (Silver)
2003 Infiniri G35
1998 Infiniti I30t
1995 Honda Civic DX
1987 Subaru GL Wagon
1987 Subaru Loyale
legacy92ej22t
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by legacy92ej22t »

I have the exact same problem,been opening car thruogh passenger side for months.mine happened about two weeks after replacing driver side auto lock control unit in door :x I think the solution is going to be new door locks on both sides,which means another key.1 key for locks and 1 key for ignition :( I havent wanted to invest in this so i dont know how much it will cost.i have more pressing matters like bad front axles and blown cam seals :evil: so for now i will have to stretch across car to unlock driver side.if you do change locks drop another post and let me know what kind of change you drop.thanks
-Matt

'92 SS 5mt. All go and no show. Sold :(
'94 Audi UrS4 Modded (new project)
'96 Outback 5mt.
'07 Legacy 2.5i SE

[quote="Redlined"]
Oh... and I hope the fucker get bunked with Gunter, arrested for raping Gorillas.[/quote]
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

I know exactly what happen. Because it happen to my car back in 1995.

The lock cylinder has a backing plate on it, which attaches to the rod going down to the lock mechanism.

To fix it, go to your subie dealer, buy a new lock cylinder....I think it was like 20-25 bucks. You will get a new set of keys with the lock cylinder. You can either keep these keys and use them, or take the new lock cylinder to a lock smith and have him re-key it to the original key.

Remove the door panel, peel back the plastic moisture barrier. Reach your hand up in there and pop off the plastic clips that go to the door handle rod & lock cylinder rod. Loosen the two 10mm bolts that hold the door handle on. Take the door handle off, remove the snap clip that holds the lock cylinder in the handle. Pop the new lock cylinder in, and re-assemble.

WARNING: If you remove the old lock cylinder and drive the car in the mean time....DO NOT put down the window....lock the window. What can happen is the window can pop off the rod that goes to the lock assembly......I can speak from experience.....it bent the rod....we bent it back, but it was an unbelievable biatch getting it back into place.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
SubaLegacy
In Neutral

Locks

Post by SubaLegacy »

777 you said it happened to you before. Do you remember having trouble actually locking the door without the key too? You know how you have to hold the handle up and then push it shut. It either pops back open or will shut and not be locked, or it will barely catch and I have to give it a second push with the handle up to get it to lock. I haven't had time to get into my door to see what is going on in there but I will let everyone know what I find out. Sounds like I will probably be buying a new lock cylinder, which will be a big pain in the patoot to have two keys but the lesser evil of having to go around and open the passenger side when the -50 degree wind is blowing up my backside. :shock: Thanks again guys.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Go have the lock cylinder re-keyed to match your original key. It doesn't cost a lot of money and works fine.

The holding the door handle up shouldn't be affected by the lock cylinder. there is a separate linkage for the lock cylinder to the lock mechanism. The interior lock button and actual lockin mechanism still work fine.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

scottzg
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by scottzg »

READ THIS

I just dealt with this problem. I did it all myself and it cost me 2 dollars and 2 hours time. I could do it in an hour if i knew what i was doing.

My inner cylander had broken. It could turn around just as you described.

I went to the junkyard and picked up a drivers door lock off a 94 turbo. I went home and took my door handle off. There are 2 screws holding a backing plate that holds the handle on. the plate will fall into the door, disconnect the 2 wires from the lock assembly, not the handle. Thats the only way to get the handle back on.

Take your lock out of the handle by removing the retaining clip. disassemble the lock by taking off the C clip first, then the aluminum thing that is pressed on, and slide the broken lock core out. Take off the recentering springs, noticing where they go.
Take apart the donor lock in the same way.
Slide your key in the broken lock and see how the teeth move up and down. Thats how the lock works.
Now, use pliers and wiggle to pull all the teeth out of the donor lock core, being careful to leave the springs in place. Take the teeth and throw them as far as you can.
Now, line the two locks up together so they are facing the same way. Pull each key individually from your broken lock and place it IN THE EXACT SAME PLACE on your donor core.
When you've done it correctly, all the teeth will be in when you put the key in, allowing the core to spin in the casing. Put the whole assembly back together and put it in the handle.
The 2 wires are still attached to the handle, put the handle in the door and put the backing back and reconnect the wires. Congradulations, you now rekeyed a lock!

can this get a sticky?
[url=http://www.thawa.net/gallery/albums/album108/DSCF0330.jpg]90 legacy of awesomeness[/url]
mikec
Third Gear

Post by mikec »

WOOHOO!!

Using both Josh's and Scott's instructions, I just successfully repaired my driver's lock. No more climbing across the car for me!! :D

Thanks guys!
"That shouldn't be a problem, since I do regularly visit the realm of subatmospheric manifold pressures." -- vrg3
SubaLegacy
In Neutral

Post by SubaLegacy »

Okay scottzg is a genius. This didn't cost me much. The salavage yards around where I live wouldn't let go of parts of the door only the whole door. And the other places only had ancient Loyales and GL's that weren't compatible donors. So I said screw 'em and ordered the parts I needed off the net. I haven't updated this in a long time. Since this lock problem I also had the door lock actuator in the interior break on me, according to the parts list it is a "remote control" under the hardware category. I ordered a new remote control from subaruparts.com and and installed without a problem. Then I got the lock cylinder I ordered from a guy on ebay who was parting out a subie. Scottzg's post was awesome. Everything worked like he said, except for one difference. I didn't have to take apart my original lock the way he said because it had completely blown up, just like Josh had said earlier the back plate on the lock cylinder that's connected to lock was connected to the rod and not my lock. So I don't know if the back plate is on correctly now because I have a new problem. This rod was completely bent down, so I bent it back up and connected it to my door handle but my door won't open from the inside, and I don't even know if the lock works, the key turns in the lock and looks right but something is royally messed up. I took the door panel off the passenger side and it looks like everything's the same. The driver's door has all rods and plastic connectors on and everything, but there is just something that won't quite work and it's driving me INSANE :cry: Does anyone know if a shop would be able to help or would they just order a bunch of $150 dollar lock parts and charge me $60 an hour to figure it out. By then I may as well have bought a new door and had it painted or a new legacy all together. If anyone knows anything about this please PLEASE post soon :(
SubaLegacy
In Neutral

Post by SubaLegacy »

WOOOHOOO!! Door fixed. :D I took out every piece I could and WD40'd the hell out and then put it back together when I thought it had stopped sticking. Then I used my old key.... The old key works fine those weinerheads at Wal-Mart are gonna get a good old fashioned ass stomping. Well I know everything there is to know about my door locks now so please if you have any questions at all go ahead and ask because I am now the self proclaimed BC/BF door lock latch thingy GOD [music and singing of angels and honking of horns]. Now I just have to wait for the WD40 to wear off and I'll do it all again. :wink: THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP GUYS
inzomniac
First Gear

Post by inzomniac »

Talk about perfect timing... (not really... but anyway) my car just started doing this today out of nowhere!! Driver side door won't even lock for me!! I've parked it next to a wall and climbed out of the passenger side.. I'll be trying to fix it tomorrow :shock: Good thing I was planning on spending a few hours of quality time with the car anyway.
Gary
1995 Legacy LS wagon
1991 Legacy Turbo - 5spd, JDM EJ20 conversion
1985 RX sedan - dual range 4WD, 5spd (P4 rally car)
random aircraft....
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

inzomniac wrote:Talk about perfect timing... (not really... but anyway) my car just started doing this today out of nowhere!! Driver side door won't even lock for me!! I've parked it next to a wall and climbed out of the passenger side.. I'll be trying to fix it tomorrow :shock: Good thing I was planning on spending a few hours of quality time with the car anyway.
Gary,

by chance have you gotten my emails about the rear strut tower bar?
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

Subby90BFAWDnonTurbo
In Neutral

Locks

Post by Subby90BFAWDnonTurbo »

Hey I had the same prob ,I fixed it the lazy way , I took it to the dealer and said it was the master cylender( which I figured that thanks to this forum :) ) they said that well fix it and change the oil.2 days later I picked it up it was like $200 to do it , and the same key works so I guess they rekeyed it . I works great :)

thought I share that
My Car

Light Blue 90 BF legacy L AWD 4EAT

My Bro's Car

1995 Honda Accord VTEC 5 Speed
Homemade Cold air intake , No Muffler

We are looking at a 87 4WD GL Turbo for $750 as ours "toy" ;)
ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by ciper »

Damn man, I would have fixed the lock and changed the oil for 100$!
Bosco
Second Gear

Post by Bosco »

I would just like to thank Mr. Scottzg For that great explanation on re keying a lock!!!!
I had the same problem for quite some time. The lock kept spinning in circles... I got a donor core for practically free at the JY, re keyed it in like 10 minutes according to those instructions, and everything works great now!
My wife will be thrilled to not have to crawl across the car to unlock her door now.... (Hey, I MIGHT even get a little action for this one! ;) ) hahaha... file that one under T.M.I.

One piece of advice to add, is to be VERY careful when removing the handle to get the donor core from. If you fail to remove the little plastic clip from the bar that attaches the lock cylinder to the latch mechanism below before popping the handle out, it could be very easy to accidentally break the lock core. Probably in the exact same place that your original one is broken.

Also, I hope you have long skinny fingers like me when trying to get the handle out, or even worse... getting the handle back in.

It's really not hard... I could do the whole thing again in about 20 or 25 minutes.
94 Legacy Touring Wagon - 5MT Swapped and now with 100% less turbo!
02 Legacy L wagon - Auto
92 Legacy L fwd auto
sullione
Second Gear

Post by sullione »

Anybody got a part number for the lock cylinder? I've done a search and can't seem to find one for it.
James
1991 Legacy LSi sold!!!
2003 Infiniti G35
IronMonkeyL255
Fourth Gear

Post by IronMonkeyL255 »

For the driver's door, I used X5741AA020.
Disclaimer: If anything I post is inaccurate, please correct me. I do not wish to add to the misinformation floating around on the internet.

That being said, everything I post is accurate to the best of my knowledge.

Rio Red '91 Legacy SS
Hustler M
First Gear

Post by Hustler M »

I had the same thing happen to me yesterday on my 91 SS. Todya I will pull the door panel off and start monkeying with it. :(
kleinkid
Fourth Gear

love those nuts

Post by kleinkid »

My drivers side lock cylinder broke yesterday. I too followed the instructions legacy777 provided. I took the new and old lock cylinders to a locksmith to get rekeyed to match the old. Had an absolutely wonderful time, it was so much fun, doing the reinstallation. Those two nuts(10mm wrench size) that go on the bracket that holds the handle on were just delightful to get back on. Got them properly tight. They were already loose before I removed them. The instructions worked very well. This is a very doable, "diy" job, and you will love those two nuts. Several beers and some food made it all possible!
Richard
Third Gear

Post by Richard »

Hooray! Beer can make anything happen. DIY FTW!!!
-2004 Liquid Silver WRX "Pretty Hate Machine"
Hustler M
First Gear

Post by Hustler M »

Just a bit of advice, when I put my dorr handle back on I broke one the bolts on the handle. I barely tightened it and it snapped.