AWIC with VF-11

Front, Top, Air, Water.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

drewriviera
First Gear

AWIC with VF-11

Post by drewriviera »

Hey guys, I have toyed with putting an AWIC on my car several times. The last time I did this I couldn't find the hoses to hook it up to my VF-11 and gave up. I even sold it and now I have another. Anyway, has anyone done this with a VF-11? Could anyone tell me the hoses I would need? I do know that siliconeintakes.com has hoses but I don't know which ones to use....any help would be appreciated!
Thanks
-Andrew
dscoobydoo
Fifth Gear

Post by dscoobydoo »

I think due to the outlet angle of the VF-11, people do not try this.

Also, why would you bother with a VF-11?
Yes I have too many Subarus
No you can't have one
05 GD-STI
01- RS- Swapped-07 STI
00- GF
93 SS- "the original Robtune" (now in new hands)
drewriviera
First Gear

Post by drewriviera »

Well, this is the turbo on my car now. What turbo would you suggest? Which one could you easily get hoses for and what hoses are they? Also, if I change out turbos, will I have to do anything to the computer or fuel injectors?
Dynamic Entry
Third Gear

Post by Dynamic Entry »

you can follow/prompt this thread here
http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?t=40601

but as he mentions, most every combo has been tried and reviewed - but... most combinations have not been tried and reviewed scientifically (as in by the same person and with the intention of isolating the variables)

part of me is surprised that there is no compendium with the different turbos, their attributes, their results and their support needs

on the other hand, the fact that this type of comprehensive thread does not exist makes sense since theory and attitude differs from person to person and application to application and across different expectations

i have seen people suggest and carry out upgrades to the fuel system (pump, injectors) and engine management (piggy back or standalone or revtronix chip as well as wideband oxygen sensor and a fuel cut defender) for a TD04, and others have run TD05s without any support at all (not even intercooling)
Andrew

16 Outback - wife's daily
95 Gravel Express - Sold
92 Green SVX - RIP
02 WRB WRX - Sold
93 White SS "Angel": 4EAT to 5MT 550 Robtune !SOLD!
̶9̶2̶ ̶W̶i̶n̶e̶s̶t̶o̶n̶e̶ ̶S̶S̶ ̶5̶M̶T̶ R.I.P.
gijonas
Fourth Gear

Post by gijonas »

have seen people suggest and carry out upgrades to the fuel system (pump, injectors) and engine management (piggy back or standalone or revtronix chip as well as wideband oxygen sensor and a fuel cut defender) for a TD04, and others have run TD05s without any support at all (not even intercooling)
Some people want as much bang for their buck ASAP and other people will opt for a little less bang with a much larger safety margin,this would be the first example you gave.There is no getting around the limitations of the stock system,therefor a huge turbo with no supporting modifications will not allow anything other than a different turbo performance within stock limitations - meaning faster or slower spool up,better or worse off boost driveability ect.

Drewriviera: as many have stated here and as my own personal advice,if you want your car to go faster and you dont want to get into a HUGE project then just get a TD04.You can hook up your intercooler,run everything else stock as far as EM and injectors ect. and you will be all set for going bigger and better later on as far as
getting into engine management and whatnot.For now you can just get an MBC and give your car the boost it can handle in stock form.You should be able to up the fun factor of your car a good bit for like $3-$400 bucks.
94SS.Wiseco forged pistons,TD04,TMIC,WALBRO 225,440's,3" all the way,revtronix stage 2,enough other crap to fill the internet.

THE TRIBUTE BUILD>>>LINKY LINK>>> http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?p=295455#295455
drewriviera
First Gear

Post by drewriviera »

Thanks! That actually was what I needed to know. I just needed a turbo that would bolt on without modifying anything....also I'm assuming the TD04 will hook up to the awic alot easier?
gijonas
Fourth Gear

Post by gijonas »

also I'm assuming the TD04 will hook up to the awic alot easier?
Im not personally familiar with the AWIC but as far as i know the stock vf-11 turbo is kinda the oddball when it comes to the outlet,so yeah it should be easier if not meant to fit.
94SS.Wiseco forged pistons,TD04,TMIC,WALBRO 225,440's,3" all the way,revtronix stage 2,enough other crap to fill the internet.

THE TRIBUTE BUILD>>>LINKY LINK>>> http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?p=295455#295455
Boostedballs
First Gear

Post by Boostedballs »

I have a water intercooler with shurflow pump and heater core + fan with a vf-11. I monitored the intake temp on the engine before installing the intercooler, the temps rose over 180F in 3rd WOT.
My 1/4 mile times dropped over a second when I added ice to the reservoir.

I ran a 15.6 with the ice and boost controlled by ecm.
Now I run 14.1 @ 95mph on a 70hp shot of nitrous.

The vf-11 gets the car off the line like nobody's business but it's the bottleneck at other half of the track. The vf-39 is in the mail to me right now, that should solve that issue.

bummer: I'll have to modify the compressor inlet to a 90deg or some sort of banjo if there's room.
Air-to-Water Intercooler, VF-39, 550 injectors, AEM FIC, stainless race header, 3" stainless exhaust, 75hp Nitrous, 150psi H2O injection, intake mods, stock: long block, 4EAT, ecm.
gijonas
Fourth Gear

Post by gijonas »

bummer: I'll have to modify the compressor inlet to a 90deg or some sort of banjo if there's room.
Shouldnt be any different than what all us td04 guys have to do,just a silicone 90.I also plan on going that vf-39 route eventually,but when i do im going to take the time to modify the intake for under the runner inlet to the turbo like the WRX.I know a couple of people have done it and looks way better.

jefferson
Third Gear

Post by jefferson »

I got this info from Josh and should make the awic hookup alot easier. Check out his posts to see the pictures as he does a real nice job on all his projects. The part is a Samco hose kit number TCS-22. I am pretty sure Josh had it hooked up to the vf-11. I haven't done the install on mine so I am not sure, but it looks like it should work.

Jeff
91 Black SS 5spd. Edm lights, wrx gauges in dash, 45 degree airbox, cryoed drilled and slotted brakes. Invidia divorced downpipe with custom stainless exhaust. To be installed, aluminum a-arms, manual belts, awic.
drewriviera
First Gear

Post by drewriviera »

Actually Josh has his hooked to a TD05 I believe. Maybe Josh can chime in again? I know somebody on here has one hooked to the VF-11. Maybe Ciper? Boosted balls can I get a picture of how you have yours hooked to the VF-11?
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

I had mine hooked up to the TD05. I didn't bother with the vf11.

The rotated outlet of the vf11 would make it rather difficult to fit it up to the AWIC. I'm sure it can be done, but it's not going to be fun. It's not fun hooking it up on a TD05.

Here's the install pics from my installation

http://main.experiencetherave.com/subaru/images/td05/
http://main.experiencetherave.com/subar ... cradiator/
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
91legacyawdturbo
Second Gear

Post by 91legacyawdturbo »

Man that is a sweet looking set up! makes me want to clean mine an take pics! What samco hose kit is that and where did you get it?
91 SS, v9 ej207 twin scroll swap, Gda wrx dash swap.
2002 wrx sport wagon
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

jefferson
Third Gear

Post by jefferson »

Somehow I got the impression that you used it on the vf11 and the td05. Looks like I might start looking for a turbo.

Jeff
91 Black SS 5spd. Edm lights, wrx gauges in dash, 45 degree airbox, cryoed drilled and slotted brakes. Invidia divorced downpipe with custom stainless exhaust. To be installed, aluminum a-arms, manual belts, awic.
91legacyawdturbo
Second Gear

well I can personally vouge that the awic is a nice set up. Thou Im running an ej20g with a td04 with an 90 degree inlet tube.
Awic vs air to air tmic allows for a smoother boost and less lag, in my experiences formally ran a tmic off of a 02 and an 06 the awic is better in my opinion but more expensive.
2002 wrx sport wagon
drewriviera
First Gear

Post by drewriviera »

Would the Samco tcs22 hose fit up to the vf-11??
91legacyawdturbo
Second Gear

Probalby if you were to cut it at the inlet of the piping, you would need to add a tube to match the turbo outlet.
2002 wrx sport wagon
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

drewriviera wrote:Would the Samco tcs22 hose fit up to the vf-11??
No, not really. The vf11 outlet points up slightly. The samco is horizontal.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

drewriviera
First Gear

Post by drewriviera »

Ok, I'm assuming that Samco doesn't make a hose for the VF-11. Pretty much the only viable option IS to change the turbo to a TD04.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Nope, samco doesn't make a hose.

Other option is to do a custom setup.....not too fun in my book.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

epicfail
First Gear

Post by epicfail »

Legacy777 wrote:Nope, samco doesn't make a hose.

Other option is to do a custom setup.....not too fun in my book.
But also not real hard w/ some silicone elbows and connectors of the right sizes.
[quote="RJ93SS"]u fail, epicly[/quote][quote="evolutionmovement"]Don't do drugs, kids, men may not need nipples, but we look a lot funnier without them.[/quote]
jefferson
Third Gear

Post by jefferson »

I just checked to see and the vf11 outlet is smaller that the hose on the tcs22 kit. That means I need a td04 I guess and I would like to go with the jdm version with the 90 degree elbow already on it. If I do that will the rubber 90 degree elbow fit the jdm turbo or is it a different size? And then where do I get the rubber 90 degree elbow that fits the jdm turbo? I would kind of like the oem piece for all the hoses to hook to.

Jeff
vica153
First Gear

Post by vica153 »

I have a vf11 with an AWIC. I ended up making an intake with a bunch of silicone peices. Its not pretty, but hey you cant see it under the awic.

I think I ended up using: 1.75" 45deg then 1.75" to 2" then 2" 45deg. It took a good bit of cutting/adjusting/test fitting and it probably leaks, but it works.
Last edited by vica153 on Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Boostedballs
First Gear

Post by Boostedballs »

I got my vf39 up and running with a 90deg bend at the inlet. (from a saab or volvo) and it works great. I cut the air box and moved the MAF around. Also, I had to re-clock the compressor (and drill one hole in the WG actuator mount) to get it to point to the intercooler.

There is a little more lag than the vf11 that was in there but not much. The power in the upper RPMs more than make up for the lag.

The BOV sounds WAY different than it did with the VF11. instead of a shhhh, It sounds like SHHH SHHH SHHH!

I'll try to get some photos of it posted.
Air-to-Water Intercooler, VF-39, 550 injectors, AEM FIC, stainless race header, 3" stainless exhaust, 75hp Nitrous, 150psi H2O injection, intake mods, stock: long block, 4EAT, ecm.