Matt's 5MT SS: Starting from stock! (exhaust clips added!)

Information about specific car builds.

Moderator: Moderators

Mattheww044
Fourth Gear

Matt's 5MT SS: Starting from stock! (exhaust clips added!)

Post by Mattheww044 »

Hey guys, If you have been following my posts over the last few months you will know that I bought Kelly's old car and some problems came up so I ended up having to sell it. I sold it to Lee (Skid542), which I feel was one of the best homes the car could have gone to. I on the other hand, ended up buying a completely stock 1991 Legacy SS 5mt. 168k on the clock. Here are a few pics of the car a little while before I bought it. (I'm good friends with the seller, SubiePrice88. We have been swapping Subarus for years!) This Journal will be organized in sections (Exterior, Interior, Suspension/ Brakes/ Wheels, and Engine).

So, right before I sold the car to Lee and bought this one, I wanted to swap some of the parts over.

Purchased: 10/09
Exterior:

2/10: Cleared the headlights and sprayed the grill/emblem. Also sprayed the hood scoop, spoiler, and tail light "surround".

10/30/09 Update: Finally got those Syvanias in. They are quite a bit better, especially for $20. Hoping to get the headlight lenses cleared next week. Pics:
Before:
After:

Interior:

Bugeye WRX Seats: These seats are absolutely awesome, they make the interior look great, as well as ALOT more comfortable. Beware though, you might want to cut and reweld the brackets if you are much taller than me (5'10") because the seats sit a little bit higher than the stock ones. (I believe 1.5").

05 RS Steering Wheel: This thing looks and feels SOO much better. It is the same size as the stock wheel but I can't explain how much better I feel about getting in the drivers seat every day (Stock steering wheel is UGLY). O yeah, and we had to do some splicing and whatnot, but the horn and cruise control work perfectly, car didn't come with an airbag so obviously couldn't hook that up.

10/25/09 Update: Boost guage installed that I bought from ebay. Brand is GlowShift, I highly recommend them. The guage was here within 2-3 days, and it works great. It has 7 colors which is the main reason I chose it so I could make it match the green speedo/tach, etc. Here is a pic:

WRX Shift Knob & Boot/ Sti shift trim

Suspension/ Brakes/ Wheels:

17" Black Racing Wheels:

Front/Rear Sway Bars:

7/10- Got a set of 04 WRX struts with Prodrive Springs. They aren't tapered but they don't rub or anything like that and I like the set-up.
Engine/Performance:

12/09
K&N Drop In Air Filter

11/13/09
3" Megan Catless Bellmouth Heatwrapped DP:

Autospeed Mid-Pipe and Axel-Back:

EXHAUST VID CLIPS:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnyNf8h3_HA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VU-bEiWlybs

Optima Battery:

1/10:
Got A Silencer Delete thanks to RJ93SS:

Perrin LW Pulley:

Hallman MBC: (set at ~13 psi)

06 WRX TMIC:

10/15/09 Update: Got the fuel filter, plugs, wires, diamond coil pack, and PCV valve done.

10/25/09 Got the snorkus taken out and a boost guage installed.

More to come soon, I promise!
Last edited by Mattheww044 on Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:48 am, edited 24 times in total.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

May I suggest putting a battery tie-down in. Without that battery will surely move around.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
Mattheww044
Fourth Gear

Post by Mattheww044 »

Yea, haha I'm planning on getting something for that but the way the battery sits so far back because the cable is short makes the stock one not work. Thanks for the reminder though :-)
1991 Subaru Legacy SS 5MT: Revtronix Stage 2 Set-up with a few other "tasteful" mods :D
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

lol yeah I rocked the same red top in my first legacy with no tie down for 2 years. The battery cables kept it from going anywhere and that hole is pretty tight.

Wouldn't recommend it though.
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
dscoobydoo
Fifth Gear

Post by dscoobydoo »

( cough cough) told ya so, buy stock ( cough cough)

Glad to see both cars went to good homes.
Yes I have too many Subarus
No you can't have one
05 GD-STI
01- RS- Swapped-07 STI
00- GF
93 SS- "the original Robtune" (now in new hands)
SubaruNation
Fifth Gear

Post by SubaruNation »

AHEM.... Intercooler coming :-D

it will look Classy as hell in there.
Zach - Legacy Frankenstin
93forestpearl wrote:Keep up the good work. You'll never know what you are capable of unless you push yourself.
Mattheww044
Fourth Gear

Post by Mattheww044 »

im excited for that. have alot of stuff to do to the car this weekend, if I can manage my money right
1991 Subaru Legacy SS 5MT: Revtronix Stage 2 Set-up with a few other "tasteful" mods :D
Mattheww044
Fourth Gear

Post by Mattheww044 »

just got my perrin adjustable BPV and wires in from Kimo, they fit in an open end 7mm wrench so im guessing that they are 7mm. but there is a randomly placed 6 on the wire, and then r-8 but I dunno. They look like my 7s that are on there. Anyways this weekend I will be doing wires,plugs,Diamond coil pack, fuel filter, KNN and possibly 06 TMIC if it shows up on my porch tomorrow. pics to come also have a boost guage on the way
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Finally got those wires, eh? They're nice looking wires. I'm going to have the same wires with the 90 degree angled plug ends on them. Well, I already have them, they're just not on the engine yet.

Good to hear you're making progress. I could go over to my parents right now and try to get my new silicone intake on but I'm a little burnt out on it right now. Get kind of discouraged when it seems like every time you try to do something you find something else wrong with it or something else you have to buy.

Keep truckin! Take lots of pictures too.
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
tturnpaw
First Gear

Post by tturnpaw »

I like bone stock cars! It means no one else has fu**ed with anything. My tw when i got it had a botched alarm system and a ground issue.
Mattheww044
Fourth Gear

Post by Mattheww044 »

O TRUST ME! I know all about buying raped cars. No offense Kelly :D. I bought Kelly's car, after a good 3 or 4 owners between us and im guessing those guys just rallied the shit out of it and did some stupid mods... made it RWD?? and did it the wrong way... seriously? lol like I said I wish I could have bought it straight from Kelly. Anyways I'm loving the stock car besides the MAJOR loss in power haha. but now I at least have to earn my power instead of just buying it from someone. I am stoked to get this build going so I can learn and have a sick SS after! Pics will be up this weekend hopefully! I wanna try and do all of the maintenance at once if possible.
skid542
Fifth Gear

Post by skid542 »

You know it does make a new owner a little uncomfortable when he hears terms like 'raped cars' and 'rallied the shit out of it' from the previous owner.... ;)

Glad to see you getting things rolling on the new SS. Keep us posted and I'll look forward to seeing how it progresses.

And you know, for $10 you can get a battery tie down and then come out and race this weekend... :).
Lee

93' SS, 5mt swapped, 182k, not stock...
96' N/A OBW 5sp, 212k, Couple mods... RIP
99' N/A OBW, 4eat, mostly stock.
Mattheww044
Fourth Gear

Post by Mattheww044 »

well i wouldnt say rallied the shit out of by me, I had fun in it no doubt. But I'm sure you can tell by the way it was converted to RWD someone wasnt planning on keeping it for too long whoever did that. And yea, I just ordered a bunch of parts so I cant really race.But I will be there with your sway bar mount if you wanna call it that. Dont forget my stuff too! lol see you out there probably around 10:30
Mattheww044
Fourth Gear

Post by Mattheww044 »

Got all of the maintenance done: Fuel filter, PCV Valve, Plugs, Wires, and Diamond Coil Pack. Throttle response seems to be a bit better as well as running a bit more smooth. Was gonna snap a pic of all the new parts but forgot, nothing major though. Next is K&N Filter, Snorkus removal, "Coffee Cup Mod", and Boost Guage/Controller. Followed by a TMIC set-up. Hoping to pick up some WRX struts/springs, as well as calipers/rotors all around(So I dont HAVE to ahve 17"s). If anyone is interested in some 05 LGT calipers/rotors let me know.
Mattheww044
Fourth Gear

Post by Mattheww044 »

Updated: Resized pics and boost guage installed and snorkus removed. Pics are on the OP
SubiePrice88
Third Gear

Post by SubiePrice88 »

dude clean gauge install!! :wink:
-Jordan

"Nothing Stings Like a Subee"

1992 Legacy SS, 5MT, 140k, some mods ;)
1993 Legacy Wagon, 5MT, 220k!
madmallard
In Neutral

Post by madmallard »

um... is that gauge on the steering column, or did you somehow hack it into the tach!??

that angle sure looks neat...
Mattheww044
Fourth Gear

Post by Mattheww044 »

Its on the column. it's almost dead center of the tach from my eey angle, but I couldn't go any further left on the cover.
Mattheww044
Fourth Gear

Post by Mattheww044 »

update: Hoping to wet sand/ clear coat my headlights tomorrow, as well as put in the new Sylvania Silverstar Ultras: "The Brightest and Whitest Light". Has anyone put these in and how did they work out?

Gonna have to put the stock rotors/calipers back on because I can't afford 17" wheels/tires. So Lee is hooking me up with brakes and tires. If anyone wants 05 LGT Front calipers and rotors PM me an offer.
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

Read the back cover of the package: they rate the output for the Silverstars at 100% intensity (ie. new) and compare against the others running at 80%. Kinda shiesty if you ask me.

I had them in my Corolla and they lasted 1 year (I had DRL), died within a day of each other. Next set, almost exactly a year also. I replaced them with some cheaper long life Sylvanias and those were in for about 3 years before I sold it - still working great.

They look good but aren't worth the money IMO.
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.
Mattheww044
Fourth Gear

Post by Mattheww044 »

i only payed 22$ Shipped new in the box... how much did you pay?
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

That's a good deal, I think I got them at walmart for $36. The long lasting ones were $12, though.
Mattheww044
Fourth Gear

Post by Mattheww044 »

HMMM wierd, I will put them in tomorrow and see how it goes. Although $22 a year is worth it to me to be able to see that much better (if it is quite a noticable improvement)
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

I saw a lot of people saying the silverstars only last a year. I think I've had them in my 1st subaru for about 4 years now. Still going as far as I know.

I must say though I don't like them. They're too white. I saw better with the yellower lights.
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

Do you leave your headlights on all the time on your DD? I think that's why some only get a year. That's what I love about my Subarus' head lights - set and forget. I liked the color better on the Silverstars but it wasn't worth 3x for the privilege.