Repair power steering pump?

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

BSOD2600
Fourth Gear

Repair power steering pump?

Post by BSOD2600 »

Past week, noticed the power steering pump is making a squeaking noise while things are cold. Instead of going to the junk yard, taking a crap shoot on if another 160K+ mi old pump will work any better for another few thousand miles, decided it's better to replace/repair it. Probably just the bearing is going out 'eh?

Looking through the parts manual, I see there is a repair kit, 34419AA100 ($25), available for the power steering pump (aka oil pump I guess). Looks to include a bunch of various washers, seals and a bearing.

Never having taken my pump apart...
1) Anyone used the power steering pump repair kit before?
2) The pump straight forward to take apart / reassemble?
3) After draining the pump of fluid, just refill it and the reservoir? Air will work its way out of the steering rack/lines?

'11 WRX Limited
'94 SS | 3" TBE, 07 TMIC, TD05H-16G, Revtronix Stage 2, Walbro -- Sold
'94 TW | R.I.P.
Suigintou
In Neutral

Post by Suigintou »

1. Nope, sorry.

2. Yes and no. it comes apart real easy, but its not immediately obvious how it goes back together. The insides of PS pump is made in layers. Starting from the front, theres a solid 'flow guide' I guess I'll call it, this weird metal paddle wheel inside a oval shaped collar and then a second flow piece toward the back. You will definitely know it if you put it back together wrong because it'll make a horrible sound. It didn't damage the pump though so i pulled it apart and eyeballed it to figure out how it goes together. Also the paddles in the wheel fall right out so be careful.

3. Yeah, I cleaned mine real good when I had it apart, then filled it with oil, then put the reservoir on, and then filled that with some oil. Run the car and turn the steering wheel back and forth to help work any air bubbles out. I left the cap off the reservoir dunno if thats necessary though.
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

hmm. Didn't think about rebuilding it, I just went the easy way and grabbed a complete one from a 1998 Forester (unknown miles - damn digital odometer), still working 40k+ miles later.

Interested in what you find out, however.
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

Answer to your number 3 question is: I used a turkey baster to take as much fluid out as possible, had a rag underneath the pump to catch any more spilleage. Used the baster again to refill it - took a while to get it up to level. Ran the car for a day and topped it off after the air had made it's way upwards.

edit: Suigintou's a ninja!
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.
Lunatech
Second Gear

Post by Lunatech »

mike-tracy wrote: Suigintou's a ninja!
pimp ninja!
Robert,

Rio Red 1990 L sedan 5MT at least 302000 mi. and Spruce Pearl 1996 Wagon 4EAT 245000 mi.

georryan wrote:
Don't knock him for thinking outside of the box. At least he has been creative.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
BSOD2600
Fourth Gear

Post by BSOD2600 »

Legacy777 wrote:Search and you shall find...

http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic. ... r+steering
blarg, I did search on google for this site too. nuts. hmmm think I searched for 'power steering rebuild' though.

Good thread/info though.

Looks like I should probably replace the o-ring between the pump and reservoir too 'eh? Part 31266GA020.

I do notice the PS pump wobbles when it spins... not entirely sure if its the shaft or the pulley though.

'11 WRX Limited
'94 SS | 3" TBE, 07 TMIC, TD05H-16G, Revtronix Stage 2, Walbro -- Sold
'94 TW | R.I.P.
IronMonkeyL255
Fourth Gear

Post by IronMonkeyL255 »

I have rebuilt mine

Pretty damn easy, really.

Only thing is, the kit doesn't come with a new bearing(s), so if it's the bearing taking a shit, better off with a different pump, or going to a bearing house and having them cross-reference the one that's in there.
Disclaimer: If anything I post is inaccurate, please correct me. I do not wish to add to the misinformation floating around on the internet.

That being said, everything I post is accurate to the best of my knowledge.

Rio Red '91 Legacy SS
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

I don't think I replaced that o-ring. Probably can't hurt though.

As for the bearing, yeah if the bearing is going, then you'll need to get a replacement, press the old one off and press the new one on. It's not that hard. I used some misc pipe fittings and a hammer.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
SLODRIVE
Third Gear

Post by SLODRIVE »

I rebuilt the pump in my '92 and it was really easy. The part number for ('92-94 pumps) the kit is 34419AA030, and no, it didn't have the bearing or the O-ring to the reservoir, both of which NAPA had in stock.

Here's what everything looks like when pulled apart...nothing crazy. The green O-ring is what I used to seal the reservoir, it was an A/C o-ring. I'm not sure where the shaft is in this pic, bit there's nothing to it.
http://www.slodriveracing.com
-92 SS 5MT- EJ20H swap, Haltech standalone ECU, TD04, FXT TMIC, 3" exhaust, STi/AGX struts, JDM 5-speed, 4.111 LSD rear, Blitz EBC, etc.
-'93 L Wagon - Pink Roll Cage - "Dirty Leg"
-And more!
IronMonkeyL255
Fourth Gear

Post by IronMonkeyL255 »

I could swear mine came with the o-ring for the reservoir..... Or maybe i just had one sitting around the right size.
Disclaimer: If anything I post is inaccurate, please correct me. I do not wish to add to the misinformation floating around on the internet.

That being said, everything I post is accurate to the best of my knowledge.

Rio Red '91 Legacy SS