Buying New shocks, Use My Old Springs? OR Coilovers?

Struts, spring, anti-rollbars, braces and the like.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Florin1
Fourth Gear

Buying New shocks, Use My Old Springs? OR Coilovers?

Post by Florin1 »

So I'm looking on eBay and can't decide between the KYB AGX's or Tokico DSpec. That's my first dilemma. Next, my car currently has H&R lowering springs on blown struts. So in all these pictures of struts I'm looking at, the springs seem to have like 8 coils. My springs have more like 3-4. Do i need to get different springs? Whats the difference in the springs i have and the ones in the pictures. Also, i have found some sweet Tein Coilovers locally for a good price, but they are for 05+ Sti. Is it a big headache getting those to fit?
1994 Legacy Sport Sedan.
1991 Legacy Sport Sedan.
Apex3
Fourth Gear

Re: Buying New shocks, Use My Old Springs? OR Coilovers?

Post by Apex3 »

I've heard bad things about both KYB and Tockico, but KYB is the better of the two, they also make the stock struts on newer Subarus, not sure about older ones though.

05+ STi won't fit in the front, but it will in the rear, though you'd still have to do something with the tophats, not sure if it just swaps like it does with normal struts.

If you're going to use the H&R you should be using struts made for lowering/stiffer springs, or you should be using stock springs, OEM replacement struts are not made to handle the extra load and will blow out if it's on a stiffer and/or lower spring. A lot of Subaru people don't seem to care about this but I'm not really sure why...

Also on ebay a lot of companies use stock photos for their parts and don't picture the actual item, as long as your buying struts for the right car it should fit the same way as what you have now.
Florin1
Fourth Gear

Post by Florin1 »

yeah, it says that the shocks will work with lowering springs. You've heard bad things about both companies?? I'm surprised, i believe they are reputable companies. My other option is Koni, but they are like $150 more.
1994 Legacy Sport Sedan.
1991 Legacy Sport Sedan.
Apex3
Fourth Gear

Post by Apex3 »

Florin1 wrote:yeah, it says that the shocks will work with lowering springs. You've heard bad things about both companies?? I'm surprised, i believe they are reputable companies. My other option is Koni, but they are like $150 more.
Yup, but I also come from the Euro world, KYB are thought of as middle of the road, Bilstein and Koni are what everyone recommends, and I've also never heard a positive thing about Tockicos, just that they blow out in a few years.

I just can't bring myself to trust Subaru people about companies, everything I read on BMW forums are based off people actually trying it, everything on Subaru forums is just a post like mine :-D people that "heard" that this or that sucks.
Bdub
Second Gear

Post by Bdub »

The pictures are probably just some generic picture, like a typical Ebay seller. Your stock springs will fit on any of those struts. I really wouldn't recommend the Tokico's, simply because the application is meant for an 02+ WRX, and the stance is different. They would work, but you'd really have to do some alignment tweaks to set the car up correctly.
Through The Generations...
91 SS 4eat
95 LSi 4eat- Sold
07 2.5i 5mt- For Sale
13 STI Sedan
bry
First Gear

Post by bry »

cut yourself a deal and use kyb gr2 struts with your old springs. you will be happy with the TOTALLY different ride and cornering ability. if you don't like it, you can personally call me out... but, i know you won't because the kyb gr2 are the best deal for the $ and will totally night and day your car for reasonable investment.... cheers!!! :-)

FYI: forgot to mention... your subie came stock with kyb's, although not as stiff as the gr2's.... also, lowering springs are pretty much sub-standard to oe... not sure why you would do that. you can go pretty fast around the corners on stock springs with good struts. lowering springs are usually just shyt. no seriously, shyt!!! if you are going to lower your car, you need chrome silicone springs and shorter struts. not to mention different steering geometry to correct bump steer. however, most ricer boys don't think... and that's why regular cars, regularly stomp them in the dirt... simple and true...

btw, just so you know i'm looking out for you... the best deal anywhere is jdmwerks on ebay for the struts you need.... i am way too nice....
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

What negative things have you heard about KYB? Guess I may be living under a rock. I ran GR2's from 97 to 2004 and they performed flawlessly. I wanted adjustability, and upgraded to the AGX's. KYB are good quality struts IMO.

I couldn't imagine wanting stiffer struts then what I could crank the AGX's up to.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
kleinkid
Fourth Gear

Post by kleinkid »

I have had KYB AGX struts with Whiteline grouind control spriings on for four years now. No problems at all. Am going to get GR2's for the '94 SS I have. Will use stock springs. Do springs wear out? Would new stock springs be worthwhile?
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Springs don't necessarily wear out. They can sag a little over time, but unless you have 200,000-300,000 miles, I wouldn't worry too much about that.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
bry
First Gear

Post by bry »

springs can wear out due to fatigue, i.e. you live down a dirt road or in detrioit and hit lots of chugholes. however, springs normally just "creep"... in layman's terms, that means they sag. this is a function of time and is also related to the quality of the metal used to make the spring. in my experience, even 1990 subaru springs are still good to go. this isn't a 1970 camaro you know. subaru makes high quality stuff!!! some GR2's on factory springs will totally change your car.
Florin1
Fourth Gear

Post by Florin1 »

bry wrote:cut yourself a deal and use kyb gr2 struts with your old springs. you will be happy with the TOTALLY different ride and cornering ability. if you don't like it, you can personally call me out... but, i know you won't because the kyb gr2 are the best deal for the $ and will totally night and day your car for reasonable investment.... cheers!!! :-)

FYI: forgot to mention... your subie came stock with kyb's, although not as stiff as the gr2's.... also, lowering springs are pretty much sub-standard to oe... not sure why you would do that. you can go pretty fast around the corners on stock springs with good struts. lowering springs are usually just shyt. no seriously, shyt!!! if you are going to lower your car, you need chrome silicone springs and shorter struts. not to mention different steering geometry to correct bump steer. however, most ricer boys don't think... and that's why regular cars, regularly stomp them in the dirt... simple and true...

btw, just so you know i'm looking out for you... the best deal anywhere is jdmwerks on ebay for the struts you need.... i am way too nice....
Thanks for your niceness Bry. haha. (myH&R springs came with the car. I do like the stance so i'm gonna stick with them unless i find Coilovers) My car has newish GR2's on the rear, but the fronts are original. So since i was gonna replace the fronts, i was gonna do rears. I do like the options of dampening and rebound which the GR2's dont offer. I dabble on gravel roads on rare occasion, so i kind of am leaning towards coilovers. Too bad the price is so high. Must keep saving. I basically want the car to do pretty well in the turns... and right now, it doesn't.
1994 Legacy Sport Sedan.
1991 Legacy Sport Sedan.
kleinkid
Fourth Gear

Post by kleinkid »

I did a Google search of jdmwerks ebay and several buyers have not had a pleasant experience with that seller. Tirerack would be a better place to purchase.
glennda5id
First Gear

Post by glennda5id »

I just bought a set of KR2's for my 93 with 200k and what I can only assume are the original shocks. Looking forward to installing them. I had seen this post and looked at JDMWorks on ebay, and he did indeed have good prices, but after doing some research I decided to go with rockauto, who after a 5% discount was only about $20 more shipped for the set (~ 10% difference). From what I had read, JDMWerks is legitimate and will ship you the product, but if you have any problem at all with your order it sounds like it has been a horror story for some.
Florin1
Fourth Gear

Post by Florin1 »

well after further searching i came across some Konis. Went ahead and bought them, hopefully they work.
1994 Legacy Sport Sedan.
1991 Legacy Sport Sedan.
gijonas
Fourth Gear

Post by gijonas »

I just can't bring myself to trust Subaru people about companies, everything I read on BMW forums are based off people actually trying it

:roll:
94SS.Wiseco forged pistons,TD04,TMIC,WALBRO 225,440's,3" all the way,revtronix stage 2,enough other crap to fill the internet.

THE TRIBUTE BUILD>>>LINKY LINK>>> http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?p=295455#295455