Which Fuel Rails Can I Use?

Snorkus, filters, throttle bodies and intake manifolds.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Which Fuel Rails Can I Use?

Post by kimokalihi »

I just got done removing my intake manifold to install NA legacy fuel rails and lines so I can drop in my new yellowtop sti 565 injectors. I was told I could just swap the rails alone but with the 97 forester rails that is not possible. The rails and the hard lines are all one piece. Unlike the legacy rails which the lines bolt onto the rails and they're easily swappable.

After getting the whole manifold off (not fun) I found out the lines are totally different and they won't fit without some serious bending and most likely kinking that lines. That's assuming the fuel rails actually seat properly which I'm not positive they will.

I think I might be better of getting a whole new manifold with the fuel rails already bolted on that will bolt right onto my EJ20G.

Must have straight intake off the turbo and under the manifold. Can't be any taller than the forester EJ20G manifold because it's already hitting my hood and I had to pound the hood with a hammer to get it to close.

Are there any phase 1 manifolds that have under-manifold intakes and fuel rails that STI sidefeeds will drop right into? I'd like to buy a manifold ASAP.
Last edited by kimokalihi on Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Re: Which wrx/sti intake manifold can I use?

Post by kimokalihi »

Wait, are phase 1 motors 01 and older? Maybe I just need to run custom fuel lines to these rails. I wonder how difficult that would be. I know dan knows.
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

I just realized I'm pretty sure all USDM WRX/STI engines are phase 2 therefore I'm screwed there. And I'm assuming all JDM WRX/STI phase 1 motors probably don't have fuel rails that will fit USDM sti sidefeeds.

So I think my only option is custom fuel lines.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

You are probably correct.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
cj91legss
Fifth Gear

Post by cj91legss »

you could go ej20k with the yellow 480s
91 L-TW Wagon with a full Swap -RIP
92 SS Prefaced, GD dash swapped, 22T/205 Hybrid 20 psi - BEAST!
93 SS Bone Stock Gone!
94 TW Bone Stock Gone!
91 SS 4EAT Sold!
98 LGT 4EAT
98 LGT Wagon 4EAT
PhyrraM
Fourth Gear

Post by PhyrraM »

Does your Forester manifold differ from a regular EJ20K manifold? I know they are from the same years and same electrical family. Matt would know, but I'm not sure how active he is here anymore.

I'm not sure if this helps you or not, but I can say that the USDM EJ25D fuel rails ('96-'99 Legacy/Forester, '98 2.5RS) will take the STI injectors and bolt in place of EJ20G (90 degree turbo inlet) rails. I DO NOT know if they will bolt in place of EJ20K/late G rails.

I'll try to dig them out and snap some pics for you. Or post up some pics of your late EJ20G rails and I will compare to mine.
'93 Winestone SS Auto, '91 Pearl White SS.
'93 Pure White SS EJ20G slanty intercooled, SIDESWIPED! In stasis.
'94 FWD and '95 AWD Laguna Blue SVXs.
2017 Pure Red BRZ Limited w/Performance pack
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

That would be great. I'm about to order custom rails from outback motorsports as soon as I can figure out how to order them. Waiting for their reply email. For now I'm going to go over to my parent's and drill a hole or two in my firewall and run the wiring and hose for my boost and AFR guages.

I have no idea how it compares to the EJ20K manifold. You said the EJ25D uses 90 degree inlet as in points straight up like the EJ22T? I don't think that will help me if that's the case. It's gotta be able to go under the silicone intake hose.
PhyrraM
Fourth Gear

Post by PhyrraM »

Not the whole EJ25D intake manifold. Just the section of the fuel rails that the injectors drop into.

The EJ25D fuel rails bolt together like the ones you have. There is a good chance that they might work for you by keeping your "lines" and using EJ25D "injector tubes".
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Oh I see what you're saying but that's precisely where my problem lies. The EJ20G lines are not bolted on like those NA lines are. They're one solid piece from the lines to the rails. The NA lines don't fit so I can't just drop in new rails and I can't use the NA lines because they won't clear my intake.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Here's a picture comparing the two. NA rails/lines above with the red injectors, EJ20G forester rails/lines below.

PhyrraM
Fourth Gear

Post by PhyrraM »

Ah, OK. That's wierd...I wonder if EK20K lines are also one piece.

What is keeping the STI injectors from dropping in the rails? There are injector adapters/collars that might allow the STI injectors to drop into the late EJ20G rails. Something like this: http://dress-upboutique.com/sardcollarsubaru.aspx or http://www.nengun.com/sard/injector-collar

There are a few companies that make/sell them. Sometimes they come up on Nasioc too.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

The lip on the injectors is too wide. The EJ20G does not have this lip. I don't think the EJ22T have the lip either but the EJ22E injectors do. I guess I could just grind the lip off. They might fit after that.

kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

What exactly do those collars change? I can't see by looking at them what they do. I'm trying to think but I can't imagine how they bolt on?
PhyrraM
Fourth Gear

Post by PhyrraM »

I think those collars have a relief on the inside that accomodates the ring.

This kit also promises to adapt the injectors, but it has a sleeve for the bottom of the injector.
http://fecker.co.uk/scooby/product.php?id=2
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Oh, it looks like it lifts the injector higher so that lip is above the rail and uses a collar to hold it in place. Interesting. That should probably work for my rails. If only you had shown me that before last night...God I hate removing and installing that manifold!

I my thermal spacers for my coolant tank from that guy's site. I wonder if I should try those.
PhyrraM
Fourth Gear

Post by PhyrraM »

Send an email and ask him. I'm sure he'll know.

I'm not up on exchange rates, but the price sounds fair.

And sorry....I can't troll the BBS all day anymore. :P :lol:
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Re: Which Fuel Rails Can I Use?

Post by kimokalihi »

Legacy NA rail with STI 565cc injector. Fits the same as the NA injector fit.

Forester EJ20G rail with STI 565cc injector. Doesn't sit all the way down and the bottom doesn't seal at all.

Forester EJ20G rail with stock 440cc injector.

Forester EJ20G rail with STI 565cc injector.

Side by side comparison. STI injector gets narrow towards the bottom where the forester injector stays wide. The lower seals are of different sizes and locations which prevents it from getting any kind of seal.

PhyrraM
Fourth Gear

Post by PhyrraM »

So the kit with the bottom collars looks like the ticket. Will the N/A caps fit on the late EJ20G rails w/the STI injectors?
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Yeah they're the same. They just look different. I forgot to email the guy and confirm if these will work for me. I'm pretty sure they will.

One question though, is this a better option than buying the fuel lines and adapter pieces to run custom fuel lines for $90? $25-30 more but then I don't have to mess with all that crap and I never have to remove fuel lines to get my silicone intake off.
beatersubi
Fifth Gear

Post by beatersubi »

Have you considered a parallel rail setup? Could be made to be more easily serviceable, i.e. fittings at the rails.
93 legacy wagon L, 22T swapped (TW imitator) now with five forward speeds. (Gone, but never forgotten)
johndrivesabox wrote: Rally, my kyboard is brok, his has nohing o do wih h liquor.
Originalcyn wrote:Apparently everyone hates Gabe.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

I think that's what I was referring to as custom fuel lines but I'm not sure. Got a picture?