How do I get to my spedometer cable?

Anything and Everything about the Body, from paint to undercoating and interior, including in-car entertainment (ICE).

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Hyena
In Neutral

How do I get to my spedometer cable?

Post by Hyena »

:lol: Yeah...sorry for the newb question. I haven't really ever worked on my Legacy before, but right now the speedometer is sort of making a "chugging" noise and the needle is shaking a little bit. I at least think that this is the issue, but I'm going to be driving my Legacy to the beach and then to mt hood and back so I was thinking maybe I should repair it D:.

Issue is...I can't figure out how to get to it lol. I have a Chilton manual for like 1984-1996 Subarus or something like that, but it doesn't really say/show how to get to the Speedometer cable. I've been told with most cars you just climb into the foot well and it's usually accessible there, but it looks like with the Legacy there's a plate in the way?

I was sort of wondering if I need to pull the entire dashboard off to get to it or something like that. I tried that initially by removing the center console, transmission plate thing, the "tray" over the airbag module, the face off the stereo and climate control. got the screws out of the underside of the overhang to the gauge cluster but it still seemed like it didn't want to come off and I didn't want to force it. Sort of one of those times where you go "Maybe I should ask instead of carrying on not knowing what I'm doing" haha.

Again maybe sorry for the newb question, wasn't sure if this thread belonged on the "drivetrain" thread or not either. Anyway, thanks for the help guys.
93' Legacy L AWD Wagon- Teal Metallic - Auto
Falken-18c
Second Gear

Re: How do I get to my spedometer cable?

Post by Falken-18c »

its the cable the sticks out the side of tranny pasenger side u will see it. it runs in the fire wall just unbolt the nut on the cable to the tranny and regrease it
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

My speedo cable broke last week. I thought it was behind the gauges but after removing the cluster i found it to be fine. Turned out the metal piece that inserts into the transmission snapped off. Check that first since its a lot easier than ripping the cluster out. Its a real bitch trying to get the cable to seat on the back of the cluster again. Get a 17mm wrench and remove the other end from the transmission and see if its still intact.

If it is then go ahead and remove the cluster. To do so you need to pull out the drivers side vent and all the little compartments in the gauge bezel including cruise contr if you have it and the mirrior controls. There are screws behind these that are holding that panel in. With the bezel removed you will see the screws holding the cluster in. Yank the cluster out. It feels like its stuck because of the speedo cable is snapped on the back but it will.pop out with enogugh force. Dont forget to remove the harness connectors first.
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
Hyena
In Neutral

Post by Hyena »

kimokalihi wrote:My speedo cable broke last week. I thought it was behind the gauges but after removing the cluster i found it to be fine. Turned out the metal piece that inserts into the transmission snapped off. Check that first since its a lot easier than ripping the cluster out. Its a real bitch trying to get the cable to seat on the back of the cluster again. Get a 17mm wrench and remove the other end from the transmission and see if its still intact.

If it is then go ahead and remove the cluster. To do so you need to pull out the drivers side vent and all the little compartments in the gauge bezel including cruise contr if you have it and the mirrior controls. There are screws behind these that are holding that panel in. With the bezel removed you will see the screws holding the cluster in. Yank the cluster out. It feels like its stuck because of the speedo cable is snapped on the back but it will.pop out with enogugh force. Dont forget to remove the harness connectors first.

Ohh, well with mine my speedometer cable still works just fine, the speedometer is still accurate and everything. it's just that it makes a little noise and the needle "wobbles" a little at low speeds. and just makes a little noise. sounds like it's coming from behind the gauges but sounds like it's near impossible to get too D: that or at least with me being a novice at this sort of stuff sounds complicated.
Falken-18c
Second Gear

Post by Falken-18c »

i think its also greased at the end that plugs into the cluster well mine had some kind black gunk in it not much
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

The easiest thing would be to pull the cable out at the transmission side, lube it up and put it back in the sheath. Make sure the cable seats properly in the fitting on the gauge cluster.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
MConte05
Second Gear

Post by MConte05 »

Does anyone have the part number for the part that goes from the cable to the trans? My speedo isn't working in the rally car, and just took off the DP and everything to get to it (with a new cable in hand) only to find it is two parts.... and guess which part is broken? Thats right, the one that I don't have.

The SubaruGenuineParts website isn't too useful since there are no diagrams to show what the parts are. I don't want to end up with two speedo cables.

Thanks.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Hyena wrote:
kimokalihi wrote:My speedo cable broke last week. I thought it was behind the gauges but after removing the cluster i found it to be fine. Turned out the metal piece that inserts into the transmission snapped off. Check that first since its a lot easier than ripping the cluster out. Its a real bitch trying to get the cable to seat on the back of the cluster again. Get a 17mm wrench and remove the other end from the transmission and see if its still intact.

Ohh, well with mine my speedometer cable still works just fine, the speedometer is still accurate and everything. it's just that it makes a little noise and the needle "wobbles" a little at low speeds. and just makes a little noise. sounds like it's coming from behind the gauges but sounds like it's near impossible to get too D: that or at least with me being a novice at this sort of stuff sounds complicated.
What you have described is the exact symptoms mine had a couple days before it quit working all together. Sounded like it was right behind the cluster. What happened was it broke off but was still turning the cable and grinding on the cable and the noise generated from the grinding transfered up the cable into the cluster. Remove the end in the trans. Its really easy to do.
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

MConte05
Second Gear

Post by MConte05 »

Thats pretty close to what I have, except mine has a "tube" coming out of the adapter, about 5-6" long and then ends in the clip that goes into the trans.

Also can't seem to locate that PN on SubaruGenuineParts.com? Weird.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

The one in the picture above is for the automatic transmissions ONLY.

If you have a manual transmission the adapter piece is different like you mentioned. You can download the entire first gen legacy parts book from me, which has all the blown up diagrams, and part numbers. It's in the stuff you need to know forum.
http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?t=30531
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

MConte05
Second Gear

Post by MConte05 »

THANK YOU. Tremendous help. Was able to track down the PN (37410AA061) and have it on my way from SubaruGenuineParts.

:D
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Good deal.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

Hyena
In Neutral

Post by Hyena »

Alrighty so a bit of an update. A big thank you to everyone who helped in this, I ended up pulling apart that adapter piece and taking the whole cable out. Here is where I might have messed up.... and probably caused myself a big headache. I was consulting a Chilton manual and was working on it with my father...who is a bit old school. And the manual said to just use a lubricant so we put a liberal coating of axle grease on the cable and put it back in, re assembled everything and I drove it around today, it isn't jumping or anything like that like it used too. the speedometer is running very smoothly and not making any noise anymore, but I gotta ask...

Was it a bad idea to use axle grease? haha. when I pulled the cable out, it looked like it was previously covered in something like axle grease but there wasn't a lot on it at all. so with a very liberal coating of the axle grease we put it back in. Only now at 1 in the morning did it occur to me "maybe there's a special grease I was suppose to use..." and looking on forums most people recommend a really light grease (some even specific things from like autozone for example) or graphite.

I figure with all that axle grease in there I'd have to replace the entire cable that runs through the fire wall or somehow get like the worlds longest pipe cleaners to try and clean it or something. Did I mess up? D:

Btw just as a bit of a thanks, took a video of the now smooth but possibly irritated speedometer cable.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwcz94sFv5s
BSOD2600
Fourth Gear

Post by BSOD2600 »

That liberal coating will likely make its way up the cable and deposit itself on the back side of the cluster. Not really a big deal, just a potential mess if/when you take the cluster out.

Another possible problem is that with freezing temperatures, the grease will possibly not move very well and cause the speedo to read low and/or bounce.

'11 WRX Limited
'94 SS | 3" TBE, 07 TMIC, TD05H-16G, Revtronix Stage 2, Walbro -- Sold
'94 TW | R.I.P.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

A lighter grease probably would have been better, but it should be ok.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT