A radiator upgrade for the 90-94 non-turbo Legacies

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

A radiator upgrade for the 90-94 non-turbo Legacies

Post by Legacy777 »

I started looking for upgraded radiators for the non-turbo Legacy when I did my ej22t swap, and really was unable to find anything that would work. There was an all aluminum Koyo race radiator that fit the turbo Legacy. However, the turbo Legacy radiator is taller than the non-turbo Legacy radiator and would not fit. So I just stuck with the stock size radiator and added some Redline water wetter to improve heat transfer.

A little while back I was doing some research and found that the 96-97 Legacy GT's (2.5 liter motor) radiator has the same dimensions as the 90-94 non-turbo Legacy radiator, and the same mounting configuration/brackets, but had a thicker core. Since my current radiator at the time was ok, I didn't feel the need to spend the money on a new one. Well when I finally got the car running again after rebuilding the motor a second time I noticed a small leak in the radiator, so I decided to give the 96-97 LGT radiator a shot.

As for fitment issues, there were a few things that I had to deal with. The first was the top mounting bracket, the 96-97 LGT radiator does not have holes in the front part of the bracket for a deflector that is on the 90-91 Legacies. It appears that only the OEM Subaru radiator does NOT have these holes. Most aftermarket radiators are probably going to have these holes because of trying to keep radiator parts common between different models. I was going to drill the new bracket for the holes, then just decided to swap the old bracket on the new radiator.

The second issue is regarding fitment of the coolant overflow tank. On the 90-94 Legacies the top AT trans cooler fitting is not as high and clears the coolant overflow tank. However on the 96-97 LGT radiator the top fitting is higher and interferes with the tank mounting. You can see this in the below posted radiator specs & pictures from Spectra's website.

1990-1994 Non-turbo Legacy Radiator

Part Specifications
Core Material : Aluminum
Tank Material : Plastic
Row No : 1
Core Height : 26-3/8''
Core Width : 14-1/8''
Core Depth : 5/8''
Inlet Header : 1-7/8'' x 15''
Outlet Header : 1-7/8'' x 15''
Inlet : 1-1/2''
Outlet : 1-1/2''
Eoc : None
Toc : 5-7/8'' (Concentric)
Notes : Installation Kit:
1 x Installation Sheet

1996-1997 2.5 Non-turbo Legacy GT Radiator

Part Specifications
Core Material : Aluminum
Tank Material : Plastic
Row No : 1
Core Height : 26-3/8''
Core Width : 14-1/8''
Core Depth : 1''
Inlet Header : 2'' x 15-1/4''
Outlet Header : 2'' x 15-1/4''
Inlet : 1-1/2''
Outlet : 1-1/2''
Eoc : None
Toc : 7-7/8'' (Concentric)
Notes : Installation Kit:
(ACPK241)
1 x Installation Sheet
1 x Instruction Sheet
2 x Metal Sideframe
4 x Hex Bolt 1/4'' - 20 UNF x 1/2''

If you purchase a MT radiator from Subaru it should not have the AT trans cooler fittings and this should not be an issue. Again most aftermarket radiators will have the AT trans cooler fittings for commonality between models. If you have a MT equipped car, you can bend the top fitting out a little bit and then you will need to cut it a little bit to clear the AC line when getting the radiator in the car. This is what I did and everything fits fine.

However, if you have an AT equipped car, you will need to use the trans cooler. Your best bet is to get a fan shroud and coolant overflow tank from the 96-97 LGT. The tank is moved over more and has a different mounting bracket at the top. If the fan motor does not have the same electrical connector, I am assuming you would probably be able to swap the electric motors between years.

So that's kind of a wrap up of the differences and things you need to do to make the thicker core 96-97 LGT radiator fit into a 90-94 non-turbo Legacy.

Also, if anyone is interested in purchasing the radiators from Subaru, here are the part #'s

96-96 LGT Radiator
MT: 45199AC100
AT: 45199AC110

Just an FYI, I have not been able to confirm that the MT radiator also has the thicker radiator core, but I would assume it does.

Here are updated pictures with the test fitment and modifications I made, as well as pictures of the 96-97 LGT coolant tank, thanks to johnceggleston @ USMB for the pics and help.

http://main.experiencetherave.com/subar ... omparison/

One last note the new radiator from Subaru had cuts in the top and bottom of the radiator. After some research, it appear to be "normal". Check out this thread for further information and pictures from an original radiator installed in a Legacy GT

http://ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=127466
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: A radiator upgrade for the 90-94 non-turbo Legacies

Post by Legacy777 »

I just realized my picture url was bad. Updated it if anyone cares to take a look at the actual pictures

http://main.experiencetherave.com/subar ... omparison/
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

jp233
Second Gear

Post by jp233 »

awesome information Josh, thanks! I will certainly keep that in mind because, as you know down south we need all the cooling we can get. that's a great option to have a newer model available, and with a thicker core.

As for the AT cooler lines, I ended up using a 90 deg plastic elbow, and clamping hose to it. Both my 93 and 94 developed cracks in the OEM hose, which is bent at an angle. I tried using hose and just bending it, but it doesn't look that great as it pinches the hose a little bit (not good for hot southern summers and it creates a load on the hose).

I wanted to try a brass 90 deg fitting, but couldn't find the right parts at the hardware store except for big bucks (brass prices are stupid thanks to copper ) -- so I gave the plastic one a try and it worked great. Since it's mostly clear, you can also see the red fluid in it too and you'd be able to spot a leak quickly. I'll find a pic somewhere... may be useful to someone else if they can't get the different coolant overflow tank or just to repair a 90-94.
12 Outback 3.6R Limited
94 Leg LS wag AWD, sold
93 Leg L wag FWD, sold
06 LGT 5EAT, project
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Yeah, if you have any additional pictures that'd be great.

Getting the newer style overflow is probably the best thing to do, but if you can get something else to work, that's good to hear.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT