91 SS to RSRA Spec bare shell complete restoration/build

Information about specific car builds.

Moderator: Moderators

BC622B05STI
Second Gear

Re: 91 SS to RSRA Spec bare shell complete restoration/build

Post by BC622B05STI »

I have also had time to work on the mirrors which were used and they have turned out ok, I have painted them in an finish that is slightly textured and colored to look like original factory plastic.
the photos are not good but this set of mirrors will be great for this project as it give my car the look I am after!
NICO
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by NICO »

BC622B05STI wrote: I will be using Mitch Pederson at MP Tuning, he has done work for us before and he will be Tuning the car and also involved with modifiying the wiring loom I believe it is AEM that he will use, he was the one involved in its development. I need to confirm this yet, however I already agreed to go with his ecu.
BC622B05STI wrote: Nico, this looks good, I don't think I would use this in my current project but I will keep it in mind. I think it is a perfect fit for your project for sure, The engine sounds good!

I have never heard of that tuner but I did a google search and he looks to be high profile for sure... the Life Racing is pretty slick but I would need to change everything up if I got it.

Nick those stand look amazing how is the car sitting on the stands... are they made for Subaru.. when I see pics of rally cars they have a pipe at all four corners of the car so one could slide the stands in them.. are these stands made for a stock body style ?

I hope you like the mirrors Nick... they needed a paint job glad your making them look good again

Legacy777 wrote:

Nico, that is a pretty cool dash setup! I wonder if it would work with my Link.

well link is vipec so I guess it should, but for a safe answer either yes or no ill have to ask for you.
1993 Subaru Legacy 44B STi 4Cam 16Valve Turbo Intercooled AWD
EJ22T, STi EJ207 DOHC, Vi-PEC (Spare Autronic) @ 426.20HP / 394.94ft lb @ 00psi
Tuned By: Franz Diebold ( DIEBOLD AUTOSPORT ) @ NVauto
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Nick,

Did you get the install kit with the walbro pump? It makes the pump a direct fit kind of like what you did. Here's pics of the pump & kit, and the install I did on my car.

http://www.main.experiencetherave.com/s ... s/ej22t/17
http://www.main.experiencetherave.com/s ... s/ej22t/28
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
BC622B05STI
Second Gear

Post by BC622B05STI »

Today I was able to assemble the new STI Knuckle/Hub assembly which are the early 5X100 Press in Bearings which match the 2001 Subaru Impreza RA trans and Half Shafts and CV joints that I have. I also masked and repainted the Knuckles as the original paint is a thin coat from the factory.

I will not have ABS so I will make Aluminum plugs and press into the Bores where the sensor would be.
I have all new parking brake assembly's and hardware, unfortunately I was not able to finish the rear knuckles as the dealer only sent two bolts for the backing plates, I will get them and finish Assembling them soon.
BC622B05STI
Second Gear

Post by BC622B05STI »

I was faced with a decision regarding what to do with the nuts and bolts and all the original steel parts on the Legacy, I had bought a lot of new bolts for the struts and suspension and backing plates and they were all zinc plated (silver) and all the original were the green color which I was not able to confirm what process it was so I went with the silver, and actually two different processes depending on where the parts were being used. I also processed a lot of the hardware in gold As it wasoriginally.

I also made the decision to go with STI front lower control arms and steering rack and Inow have those parts at the shop. I will buy the Ohlins struts this week also.
Dominator
First Gear

Post by Dominator »

Awesome! Nick, I've said it a dozen times already. The attention to detail on your build is amazing. It's impressive to see that you are taking such efforts to get this car built just right. Keep up the great work and thanks for the updates.
BC622B05STI
Second Gear

Post by BC622B05STI »

Dominator wrote:Awesome! Nick, I've said it a dozen times already. The attention to detail on your build is amazing. It's impressive to see that you are taking such efforts to get this car built just right. Keep up the great work and thanks for the updates.
Thank :-), I hope to have most of the parts ready and purchased this year, it's going to be an expensive one. I am going to buy the Ohlins struts today.
BC622B05STI
Second Gear

Post by BC622B05STI »

The Ohlins dampers are now ordered and paid for, It will be great to see the four corners in place soon. After I get back from the 12 hours of Sebring I will be spending some time on the car again. I have been away so much this year as Daytona is an early start to the race season.
We finished fifth.
The Muscle Milk Pickett racing car that I am workingonagain this season
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

What do those ohlins cost and where does one order them from?
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
BC622B05STI
Second Gear

Post by BC622B05STI »

kimokalihi wrote:What do those ohlins cost and where does one order them from?
I ordered them from fortyone automotive in New Zealand and the cost is $3800 and customs charges which we won't know untill they get here
BC622B05STI
Second Gear

Post by BC622B05STI »

Today I assembled the rear parking brakes to the STI Knuckles and started working on the steering rack fitment to the sub frame. I also have the wiper motor installded which is a new unit but obselete part from dealership. I was fortunate to find this on EBay with just one small scratch on it but otherwise in perfect condition
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Those pics of all those bolts/hardware are amazing! :)
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

208ss
First Gear

Post by 208ss »

this thread is full of sexy. I love the way your car is coming together
1991 subaru legacy sport sedan
BC622B05STI
Second Gear

Post by BC622B05STI »

I have had a lot going with the Legacy project The Ohlins coil over struts have arrived and I have been searching for a top strut mount to use as these are for an 05 STI and I knew I would need to find a good alternative and I think that I will be using Cusco adjustable camber top Mounts. The big surprise was the Clevis had changed between 04 and 05 STI with the change from 5x100 to 5x114 in USDM Impreza's. So I am going to make inserts and re drill the Clevis on the Struts.
I also finally got the Intercooler pump together, I was waiting for the metric O rings and the plated parts made this 20 year old pump look like new, which is great as these are really expensive. Unfortunately it looks like I am missing a bracket to mount the pump.
I also pressed apart the Steering Knuckle as I need to fit the Legacy steering colum joint to the STI assembly which I bought new with the rack. I will post pictures of that soon.

SILINC3R
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by SILINC3R »

I have a question on the plating. Do you just send it to the company and they sand blast or whatever needs to be done and then just dip them or something? And is it fairly priced or pretty expensive? Thanks in advance.
Tony
90 LS Spec rio red sold
91 SS rio red R.I.P
90 Mazda Miata
2005 GT SWP
92ss satinsvoice wrote:LOL! that block was like F*** THIS! IM OUT!
mike-tracy wrote:Word. I'd love to get my hands on one of those trannies, but I just can't stomach the cost
BC622B05STI
Second Gear

Post by BC622B05STI »

Here is the steering rack joint/Knuckle I fit the original Legacy splined knuckle to the new STI joint. This took me several hours to do but it came out looking like an original part.
macipusy
Third Gear

Post by macipusy »

All I can say is WOW...those bolts and hardware. Super quality build!

You will love the quicker ration steering rack, I know I love mine. But you already know this :D , having the STi and 22B.
maciek puszynski

01 Impreza | v6 STi RA | 5mt | ej236t
93 Legacy Turbo | TW | 4eat | ej22t
16 WRX | 6mt | fa20
98 Legacy GT | wagon | 5mt | ej25d

2.36L Turbo - RSTi Build
Aki
First Gear

Post by Aki »

Amazing work! Such a top job on everything.
BC622B05STI
Second Gear

Post by BC622B05STI »

Here is a look at the Ohlins DFV Road and track dampers, I will post a few so you can see the difference between an 04 and an 05 STI, I will post pictures of what I have come up with as a solution after I have the peices made.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

BC622B05STI wrote:Image

So being somewhat of a coilover newb, is the smaller blue spring there to provide a more comfortable ride while the yellow spring is the main spring?

I ask because I have KYB AGX struts with Whiteline control springs. I like the ride height, and for most of the time the springs & strut combo is ok. However the roads in houston suck and you have variations in the concrete so the suspension doesn't really soak up those and you get the bouncies. I don't know if it is because I'm getting older, but my tolerance for a ridiculously stiff ride is going away. So I'm just curious what's out there that would help with the crappy roads, yet still provide the appropriate level of damping/rebound and spring stiffness for spirited driving.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

PhyrraM
Fourth Gear

Post by PhyrraM »

The helper springs are there to keep the main spring from "falling out" or rattling.

Few the chosen spring rate and travel, the main spring would 'get loose' under full extension, so the helper spring keeps it in place.
'93 Winestone SS Auto, '91 Pearl White SS.
'93 Pure White SS EJ20G slanty intercooled, SIDESWIPED! In stasis.
'94 FWD and '95 AWD Laguna Blue SVXs.
2017 Pure Red BRZ Limited w/Performance pack
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Ok, thanks for the clarification!
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

BC622B05STI
Second Gear

Post by BC622B05STI »

Today I spent the day at the lockal Auto dismantlers and I pulled a whole lot of clips and plugs in excellent condition and some exterior trim pieces which were in good condition but the best part of the day was finding a complete Non ABS brake line set up which was in perfect condition, I basically wiped it off and fit it in my car and it looks awesome. This part is dealer obselete so I was concerned about the likelihood of finding one so it was a great day today with my project :-)
I also found a head liner which I will have to modify for the roof vents, it looks like it will be another tricky project, but I will get on to that soon and then I will have it re upholstered to be a material like my 05 STI, I dont like the vinyl, it looks cheap.
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

Nice find! The canadian headliner is a couple steps above in quality, but it sounds like you got it (re)covered (pardon the pun).
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.
NICO
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by NICO »

no more opening nicks build thread for me !... makes me want a legacy again :(
1993 Subaru Legacy 44B STi 4Cam 16Valve Turbo Intercooled AWD
EJ22T, STi EJ207 DOHC, Vi-PEC (Spare Autronic) @ 426.20HP / 394.94ft lb @ 00psi
Tuned By: Franz Diebold ( DIEBOLD AUTOSPORT ) @ NVauto