Brake Light Is ON

Where the power meets the road.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

StreetLegacy93
First Gear

Brake Light Is ON

Post by StreetLegacy93 »

My Brake light is on constantly and i checked the fluid and its right near max.

the brakes stop really well but start to engage at about 60% down. not sure if that is normal on older cars?

I'm thinking its the e brake indicator wire or sensor that is stuck.

If anyone know what it could be or what i should check that would be great, Thank you!!
Greg
1993 Subaru Legacy L Wagon BJ6
2006 Honda Civic Si FG2
vrg3
Vikash

Re: Brake Light Is ON

Post by vrg3 »

The floating part of the sensor sometimes gets stuck. It's a little magnet floating in the master cylinder reservoir; there's a reed switch mounted underneath it that gets tripped if the magnet gets close enough. Try giving the floating part a little jiggle.
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
StreetLegacy93
First Gear

Post by StreetLegacy93 »

hmmm im not seeing it, do u have any pics I can refrence?

thank you
Greg
2006 Honda Civic Si FG2
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

This is a from-above view of a brake master cylinder reservoir (courtesy of Legacy777): http://www.main.experiencetherave.com/s ... P_4150.JPG

The float is that little vaguely H-shaped plastic thing right in the middle of the reservoir.

If yours is missing, that'd definitely be your problem.

Try unplugging the connector for the level sensor. If the light turns off, the level sensor is being tripped one way or another.
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
StreetLegacy93
First Gear

Post by StreetLegacy93 »

awesome ill give it a try, thnx
Greg
2006 Honda Civic Si FG2
StreetLegacy93
First Gear

Post by StreetLegacy93 »

i just looked at the master and when I took the cover off there was a rubber black thing all messed up so I unfolded it and places it back inside the groves where its from put brake fluid in and light turned off!

maybe that fixed it, if not ill take it to subi it needs an oil change and they said they do a 25pnt inspection free with n oil change.
Greg
2006 Honda Civic Si FG2
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Ah ha.

That black rubber thing is part of the master cylinder cap. When the cylinder is filled with brake fluid, you fold it into the grooves like you just did. Then, as the level drops due to pads wearing, the vacuum in the cylinder draws that rubber gasket thing down, thereby evening out the pressure in the reservoir. This design allows the vacuum to be relieved without having to expose the brake fluid to air, which causes it to deteriorate.

Whoever last worked on your brakes must have forgotten (or not known) to push it back in after the fluid level was back to the full level, so it was pushing down on the float, tripping the fluid level switch (because the float was sitting low as if the fluid level was low).

Your problem should be fixed, but it might be worth quickly inspecting the whole brake system to make sure it's in good shape, since it looks like it might have been serviced by someone who didn't fully know what he or she was doing.
StreetLegacy93
First Gear

Post by StreetLegacy93 »

Yes i have an appointment at Subaru friday for an oil change i'll just have them look it over and let me know what all wrong! get the most important things fixed fist.
Greg
2006 Honda Civic Si FG2
subydaddy
First Gear

Post by subydaddy »

There may be a leak in the brake system. How's the level after you pushed that black rubber thingy back in? Have you changed brake lines? Keep on eye on your level and that black thing. If it's blown out the next time you take your master cylinder cap off, you have a leak.
StreetLegacy93
First Gear

Post by StreetLegacy93 »

Awwww.... i do have a leak that is for sure! just gonna replace the whole lines, unless i can find a shop to do it cheap. 200 or less and i'll have them do it cuz i dont wanna deal with it
Greg
2006 Honda Civic Si FG2