Wheel fitment/ coilover question

Where the power meets the road.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

'//icked
In Neutral

Wheel fitment/ coilover question

Post by '//icked »

Hi,
I have a '93 Legacy SS that I would like to put STI Ver 7 wheels on. They are 17x7.5 with a high +53 offset (I believe). I know they will currently rub on my KYB AGX's and I would like to avoid running spacers if I could... my question is, if I switch to some gc coilovers, will I be able to run these wheels with very small or no spacers? Thanks!
'//icked
In Neutral

Re: Wheel fitment/ coilover question

Post by '//icked »

Oh ya, forgot to mention that the wheels have 235/45 tires on them... and it is the tires that are rubbing, not the rims themselves. The tires are brand new and I would like to stick with 235's if I can get away with it. Thanks again for any input on if switching to coilovers will give me any more clearance vs. the AGX's....
crisco
First Gear

Post by crisco »

i would say it depends on the coilovers, what brand, etc. i had v7 wheels with 225/45/17 tires with no rubbing on either coilovers or jdm sti V5 struts. that being said, it was closer to rubbing the coilovers than with the struts. but that was no 225 and you have 235s so i wouldnt know for sure.
--- crisco --- 2005 Saab 9-2X Aero---
Apex3
Fourth Gear

Post by Apex3 »

+1 on depending on the coilover, they'll be different sizes.

235/45s are big tires though...Why don't you want to run a spacer? You could just throw in a 5mm or something and it might just fix it, no real risk there and it's cheap.
'//icked
In Neutral

Post by '//icked »

cool thanks for the responses guys. I was just wanting to avoid running a spacer so I didn't add any additional stress to the wheel bearings or hubs. However, I think I will end up just grabbing a set of 10mm spacers and run that for the time being. thanks again.... people are very helpful on this forum! :)
jamal
Vendor
Vendor

Post by jamal »

it depends where they're rubbing. Most coilovers will give you less clearance to the shock shaft because there's a spring and perch there. But if there room there and it's just hitting the perch you should be OK. I'm guessing that's not the case though. I have 225s on a 7" +55 wheel and the tires are practically touching the struts all the way around.

I'm not sure there's a 10mm spacer that will work without longer studs everywhere. Most of the spacers that bolt to the hub and then have studs in them to stick out farther (or change the bolt pattern), are at least 15-20mm wide.
Apex3
Fourth Gear

Post by Apex3 »

Yea I think you can only fit a 7mm if I remember right, without getting longer studs.
Alphius
Fourth Gear

Post by Alphius »

Just get a 3-5mm or so. If it's only barely rubbing then that should space it out enough and increase the bearing load insignificantly. And you won't need longer studs.