Severe Brake Pedal Pulsation

Where the power meets the road.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

JackRipper
In Neutral

Severe Brake Pedal Pulsation

Post by JackRipper »

Hey all

I got my new 1991 JDM Legacy GT wagon about a week ago and the brakes shuddered under braking which i found was the brake rotors being worn and warped rather badly. so i sourced some second hand rotors which were in good condition and i got them resurfaced within spec. I installed them and new pads and i went to go seat them in but before i got up to speed i had to brake for an intersection and as soon as i put my foot on the brakes, the pedal pulsated really badly as if the abs thought it was an emergency stop. So far ive checked that the rotors are seating correctly, the calipers arent siezed on the slide, tried to seat the pads, disconnected the abs pump, and some other minor things. The only thing i can find that isnt exactly normal is that when its jacked up and you spin the wheel it spins freely for about 300 degrees but then the pad seems to grab the rotor and slow it :? If anyone could give me some advice on what to do, it would be greatly appreciated.
rallyak
Third Gear

Re: Severe Brake Pedal Pulsation

Post by rallyak »

It's possible that the person who turned the rotors didn't seat the rotor correctly in the lathe and didn't cut it flat. I've done it my self when I was in a hurry and don't make sure the mounting surfaces are clean.
Charles

90' White/Gray Outback DD workhorse (670,xxx) miles
92' Onyx Metallic (430,xxx) Wife's DD
68' Barracuda formula S 340 4spd coupe (ongoing project)
66' Mustang 2+2 4spd wife's (ongoing project)
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Severe Brake Pedal Pulsation

Post by Legacy777 »

I would tend to agree....it doesn't sound like the rotors were turned properly.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm