Non turbo engine build

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Non turbo engine build

Post by Legacy777 »

fre3k5h0w wrote:Well that's not a bad idea I can probably get the injectors and rails at the cheap u pull here, they have 4 first gens there. I already have the rotary iacv from my other 22e and wiring for an early 97 2.2, if I'm not mistaken the changes were mid year after July 97 to the injectors. I had the red top injectors in my 4eat bd, did they have red tops in the early phase 1 5mt 1st gens?
Yeah, the 92-94 non-turbo MT & AT Legacies had the red side feed injectors. The rails are different as well. You can see them in these pics

http://main.experiencetherave.com/subar ... injectors/

Pic of the 92-94 red injector

http://main.experiencetherave.com/subar ... defeed.jpg
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
fre3k5h0w
First Gear

Post by fre3k5h0w »

Damn, I had some of the red injectors in my grasp not two months ago and I sold them :smt083...
oh well if only I knew. I like that idea of the 222 because of the stroke too, mostly what I'm after
with this build is pep and low end torque and responsiveness..not much can be expected on HP, but I would like to be able to come up with at least 160. I know that will be tough with out a full exhaust set up.
2000 subaru legacy wagon 5mt- wifeys whippopatamus
1990 subaru legacy wagon 5mt- all mine, and looks it:)
fre3k5h0w
First Gear

Post by fre3k5h0w »

Well time ran out for me to find another block so I'm putting my 22e back together, got everything I needed for it now. I did unfortunately have to buy another right side head for it, the head I bought was out of a 92 legacy sedan. So I'm still kind of frankensteining this build. The cast patterns are quite different and this head had a slider type valve train.

So I was putting my 95 roller rockers and valves into that head and noticed that the two closest intake valves (on both cylinders) on that head don't fully close even when I put the cam pulley on in timing. The original 95 head is fine two open and two closed. I'm wondering about valve angles being different on these two heads. I thought I could switch the rocker assemblies without a fuss..also my hla's seem to bleed down pretty quick, there is a lot of pressure on them though. I don't remember if the hla's have a slight gap between them and the stems when assembled. Been a while.

Can anyone confirm the valve angles and the valve spring landings being the same height between 92 and 95 heads..eyeballing them they look exactly the same and I measured all 32 valve springs and valves that I have with no differences in weight or size. Thanks fellers.
86BRATMAN
Second Gear

Post by 86BRATMAN »

You've gotta swap the cam out with the rocker assembly, they are different for each type.
fre3k5h0w
First Gear

Post by fre3k5h0w »

I swapped out the whole roller valve train and cam into that head, not just the rocker assembly should have mentioned that. The only other thing is that the hlas, the I bled the air out yesterday and only 4 of them stayed solid, the other 4 have bled down already so those need to be replaced. But the 4 that stayed solid are pushing the valves open I thought the rocker arms would have enough movent in them to close the valves after I put the cam gear on and put the head in timing. I dont believe I intalled the rocker arms wrong the other heads valves are all shut and I used the same factory procedures as I did on this one. I didn't notice when I took them apart months ago that the at least one line of valves would be open when it is done.
fre3k5h0w
First Gear

Post by fre3k5h0w »

Whoa calm down people..
cj91legss
Fifth Gear

Post by cj91legss »

fre3k5h0w wrote:Whoa calm down people..
Did I miss something?
91 L-TW Wagon with a full Swap -RIP
92 SS Prefaced, GD dash swapped, 22T/205 Hybrid 20 psi - BEAST!
93 SS Bone Stock Gone!
94 TW Bone Stock Gone!
91 SS 4EAT Sold!
98 LGT 4EAT
98 LGT Wagon 4EAT
fre3k5h0w
First Gear

Post by fre3k5h0w »

Lol..no I was just being a smartass.

No one can tell me if all my valves should be closed or partially open when my heads are fully assembled. I thought all the valves should be closed until I put them into timing...Or its just a ridiculous noob question.
rallyak
Third Gear

Post by rallyak »

With your HLAs pumped up they would be open, the HLAs will adjust when it is running.
Charles

90' White/Gray Outback DD workhorse (670,xxx) miles
92' Onyx Metallic (430,xxx) Wife's DD
68' Barracuda formula S 340 4spd coupe (ongoing project)
66' Mustang 2+2 4spd wife's (ongoing project)
fre3k5h0w
First Gear

Post by fre3k5h0w »

Awesome thank you sir.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Does anyone know if the head volumes are the same between the 92 & 95 heads? I'm assuming you looked at this, and hopefully they are or looked the same.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

86BRATMAN
Second Gear

Post by 86BRATMAN »

All the phase 1 ej22e heads have the same combustion chamber size, there's are other variations but the chamber remained the same.
fre3k5h0w
First Gear

Post by fre3k5h0w »

I did think about that when I put my valves and plugs in but did not measure them together, I did put a contour guage in there and they were close enough for me not to worry about decking them again. This Wednesday I'm going to check for leaks in the valves seats and ill measure the bowls at the same time.

Bummer I don't get to build for high compression this time around but at least ill see for myself whether or not a port and polish is worthwhile. Plus I'm deleting a/c and power steering so there is a little stress off the motor.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

I think you'll find you may want to keep the power steering. These cars are a bit on the heavy side to not have power steering.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

fre3k5h0w
First Gear

Post by fre3k5h0w »

It wasn't so bad in my bd, I had a really bad leak in the p/s reservoir so I bypassed the lines and fed the little bit of fluid that was in there in a loop. I only had it like that for about three weeks until I could get a rebuild kit for the pump.

What would be ideal for me is to get the pump and reservoir from a 3rd gen legacy and use that instead but never researched it. But I'm sure ill grow tired of strong arming it.....or 2013 sti electric rack and pinion :)
86BRATMAN
Second Gear

Post by 86BRATMAN »

I'd hate to see what all it would take to retro the electric steering into an older car.
fre3k5h0w
First Gear

Post by fre3k5h0w »

Yeah I imagine it would be fun to say the least..I did run into a good thread from a miata forum on how to depower a r+p by taking some seals out. The guy who did this work said it felt pretty good and sturdy, not like the manual racks from back in the day.
fre3k5h0w
First Gear

Post by fre3k5h0w »

Well fellas, its been a while but I'm finally done with my build and she has a strong heartbeat, want to say thanks to everyone and the great info that I received through this thread. Yall are the greatest ;p..motor fires great, sounds great and it can pull its own weight like never before. Stage one is out of the way now on to cosmetics and customization!

Got some body work to do and at the same time I have been tossing around the thought of making some weld on fender flares to fit some really wide wheels. Also looking at a 93 lego sedan so I can grab the front end and rear control arms an such to get rid of the drop link style sway bar, that bar is like a spaghetti noodle, other bits and pieces as well..I think this thread is going to turn into a complete vehicle build by the time I'm done (if that ever happens) ;).
fre3k5h0w
First Gear

Post by fre3k5h0w »

A few questions were answered for me as well, those gray top injectors from a 97 ouback sport worked very well I'm sure I didn't have to but I numbered them and put them in with the same orientation. Still couldn't find any technical info on them like pulse and hold rates fuel output and why the original injectors were completely different from each other. They work and that was an outcome that I hoped for. A 2004 wrx shifter assembly is a good upgrade, ease of shifting and throw are shortened.

My transmission has had a long hard life for sure, the output shafts from the differential have a lot of play and its pretty loud kind of sounds like a muted dog box Soooo maybe trans replacement may be in the future. Doesn't bind though so that's promising I guess.
fre3k5h0w
First Gear

Post by fre3k5h0w »

Got out today and cut some steel fender flares out of a mk2 jetta coupe to mock up to the fenders and quarters of my wagon. They are a pretty close match and I think they are big enough to go into the doors and blend the dog leg area to look like a professional flare job.

Might take some flack from some subaru heads like a couple of locals, as soon as I mentioned 9 in. wide tires with a low(ish) 30 offset people assume I want a broken wheel or stupid amounts of negative camber. Not what I want..full rubber contact full function and wide stance.