suggestions for long term storage

Subaru-related topics that don't belong anywhere else...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

James614
Fourth Gear

suggestions for long term storage

Post by James614 »

So, my Touring Wagon will need to be stored for 3 years while I go overseas. Just wondering what some here thought I should do to male sure it still runs great when I go to drive it again in 2017.
93 Touring Wagon (EJ20G 5spd Swap) -- Finally back and running strong as ever!

05 Outback 2.5XT 5spd -- Now the wife can have her SUV and get in on the turbo Legacy goodness at the same time.
wtdash
Fifth Gear

Re: suggestions for long term storage

Post by wtdash »

I recently read about someone who had their car stored by a company that worked for a gov't agency, and it was taken very good care of....can't recall the specifics, but IIRC, they actually drove the car to keep it in good shape.

I'm sure there are (better) other lists online, but here's ONE to start.

GL,
TD
Turbo Subies:
'87 GL-10 Turbo - SOLD
'90 BJ EJ22T/DOHC & 5speed swap - SOLD
'04 FXT, Forged internals, VF39, STI TMIC, Cobb AP- SOLD
'93 Legacy SS - 5-speed, SOLD :-(
'02 WRX -SOLD
'96 BD-turbo'd-SOLD
'98 SF - NA-T
SILINC3R
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by SILINC3R »

I put mine in a storage unit big enough for a car. Was 100 a month, but it was out of the elements. Or you could just leave it on base for free haha.
Tony
90 LS Spec rio red sold
91 SS rio red R.I.P
90 Mazda Miata
2005 GT SWP
92ss satinsvoice wrote:LOL! that block was like F*** THIS! IM OUT!
mike-tracy wrote:Word. I'd love to get my hands on one of those trannies, but I just can't stomach the cost
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

Yeah don't leave it on base for free. Flat tires, dinged doors, etc. I stored my car at my grandma's in Arizona when I was gone for 14 months. Had her start it up at least 1x a month.
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.
James614
Fourth Gear

Post by James614 »

I don't have much option for where its gonna be left unfortunately. No one in my family has a place for it that I can count on for 3 years.

As for driving it periodically, I've always not liked that idea with older cars. I had it sitting at my house for 6 months on my last deployment under instruction for it not to be driven, which turned out to the right idea because it had developed a slow water leak while I was gone that was slow enough to evaporate off the floor without a puddle but fast enough to leave the cooling system completely empty by my return. I'm not gonna relyon someone else to remember to check something like that if there's no obvious signs of a problem.

From what I gathered, it sounds like fresh oil and jack stands are in order at the least. What about the fuel? Sta-bil says its good for 3 months. Should I drain it instead?

05 Outback 2.5XT 5spd -- Now the wife can have her SUV and get in on the turbo Legacy goodness at the same time.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

There's two thoughts on the fuel....keeping fuel in the tank (full) should keep moisture out and keep it from rusting internally. However, even with stabil I probably would drain the fuel and not run it in the car. Other thought is drain everything, including the fuel lines, etc. You may want to do a little more research to see what the consensus is online.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
James614
Fourth Gear

Post by James614 »

Just found out that the facility they will be storing my car at fully maintains the vehicles. Indoor/covered storage, vehicle is started and warmed up with the heat/AC cycled and moved once a month to prevent stagnated fluids or flat spots on the tires, and all services and fluid changes done according to manufacturer schedules. Nice stuff. Caveat is they don't accept cars with ANY leaks, but so far I should be good on that. Only leak right now is the rear trans output seal which looks super easy to replace.

Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

That's good to hear!
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm