Completely removing molding?

Anything and Everything about the Body, from paint to undercoating and interior, including in-car entertainment (ICE).

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

czei
First Gear

Completely removing molding?

Post by czei »

I'm working on my rallyx car in the off season and am thinking about removing the side/door molding. Has anyone done it? The main problem is the holes where the clips hold the molding in. I supposed the hikes could be filled and painted, but I'm going for a rat rod look and will be rusting out the exterior.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Completely removing molding?

Post by Legacy777 »

You could put some bolts with smooth heads in the holes and put a rubber washer behind the bolt head that faces outward to keep water out of the door inards.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
oldscoobyturbo
Second Gear

Post by oldscoobyturbo »

clear silicone the holes if you want to keep the look of holes. You can simply put some tape on the inside of the door and just spread a small dab of clear silicone to fill the hole
Silver 99 Legacy GT Wagon
White 90 BC5 RS Type RA
Black 01 Legacy Outback H6 Wagon
http://s684.beta.photobucket.com/user/d ... l/library/
SILINC3R
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by SILINC3R »

oldscoobyturbo wrote:clear silicone the holes if you want to keep the look of holes. You can simply put some tape on the inside of the door and just spread a small dab of clear silicone to fill the hole
That's a great idea or better yet instead of silicone use JB weld and then sand it smooth or leave it for that rat rod look.
Tony
90 LS Spec rio red sold
91 SS rio red R.I.P
90 Mazda Miata
2005 GT SWP
92ss satinsvoice wrote:LOL! that block was like F*** THIS! IM OUT!
mike-tracy wrote:Word. I'd love to get my hands on one of those trannies, but I just can't stomach the cost
jefferson
Third Gear

Post by jefferson »

The term should be rat rice and I'm not trying to be derogatory. My son has a 93 Honda wagon with a less than perfect body, yet he has the big block as they call it in it and I have always said he needed to start a rat rice trend playing off the rat rod phrase.
91 Black SS 5spd. Edm lights, wrx gauges in dash, 45 degree airbox, cryoed drilled and slotted brakes. Invidia divorced downpipe with custom stainless exhaust. To be installed, aluminum a-arms, manual belts, awic.
oldscoobyturbo
Second Gear

Post by oldscoobyturbo »

I've built a few ratty rusty subarus. I'm working on my next one now
Silver 99 Legacy GT Wagon
White 90 BC5 RS Type RA
Black 01 Legacy Outback H6 Wagon
http://s684.beta.photobucket.com/user/d ... l/library/