Rain gutter - wet floor

Anything and Everything about the Body, from paint to undercoating and interior, including in-car entertainment (ICE).

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

karol1001
In Neutral

Rain gutter - wet floor

Post by karol1001 »

Since it rains a lot now, I noticed two major issues with my 91 Legacy N/A (sedan).

1. The floor under the drivers seat is super wet. I mean it's really bad - there is almost a puddle in there.
2. I have water inside the side sill (also driver side). When I leave the car for a few hours on the rain and then drive away, I can hear the water splashing around inside the closed structure. Like a freakin aquarium.

My conclusion is that any gutters that are inside the car are plugged. That is why water gets inside the side sill and why it gets into the car.

Does anyone have an idea as to what I should do now? Where are the rain gutters and how do I unplug them? I'll probably just drill a hole in the side sill to make a new gutter but I don't know what to do about the water inside the cabin.

Hope you can help.

Karol.
robertpaige
Fourth Gear

Re: Rain gutter - wet floor

Post by robertpaige »

Same problem on my SS, passenger side is SOAKED like there is a puddle behind the passenger seat. Haven't figured out what's up with that yet
the guy who had the really low winestone SS on the corvette wheels
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

I think the side sills should have drains.....they may be clogged with dirt or possibly undercoating. Have you had a chance to look under the car?
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
karol1001
In Neutral

Post by karol1001 »

Josh, my car had a paintjob done by the previous owner and I suspect that the drains are either clogged or completely gone. I'll have to drill new ones...
James614
Fourth Gear

Post by James614 »

The side sills are designed to develop additional drainage holes at the rear over time to counteract this issue.

Gotta put a positive spin on chronic rear quarter rust somehow :)
93 Touring Wagon (EJ20G 5spd Swap) -- Finally back and running strong as ever!

05 Outback 2.5XT 5spd -- Now the wife can have her SUV and get in on the turbo Legacy goodness at the same time.