front control arms...

Struts, spring, anti-rollbars, braces and the like.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

bcmaxx
First Gear

front control arms...

Post by bcmaxx »

Well it seems everythings is very interchangeable on these subes.. my front control arms are in bad shape, both sway bar link mounts ripped from the arms. I have instock a complete set (both sides_ with balljoints for $96 my cost i nstock for a 2002+ impreza ( cheap beacause the lower control arm recalls. will they fit?
MConte05
Second Gear

Re: front control arms...

Post by MConte05 »

You will need WRX axles due to the increased track width.
jamal
Vendor
Vendor

Post by jamal »

If they're from a wagon they are the same width.

I have been meaning to go to a wider front track for the added grip and better balance. It's something like 10mm a side and was probably going to try it with the stock axles.
MConte05
Second Gear

Post by MConte05 »

jamal wrote:If they're from a wagon they are the same width.

I have been meaning to go to a wider front track for the added grip and better balance. It's something like 10mm a side and was probably going to try it with the stock axles.
You might get away with it driving around on the street, but if you do any type of performance driving, its begging to ruin the axles in short order.

Case in point:

My old rally car had WRX control arms, and I had swapped to WRX axles. However I had not mentioned that to the new owner, and after one axle broke at STPR they were able to swap in a spare legacy axle they had, and promptly broke it again a few stages later since the joint was overstressed since it was too short, especially under power and near full extension.

They now have WRX length axles and spares. :)
bcmaxx
First Gear

Post by bcmaxx »

even with non turbo 02+ arms? wrx axles plug into a 4eat?
jamal
Vendor
Vendor

Post by jamal »

Non-turbo 02-07 impreza sedan is the same width as wrx/sti sedan.
non-turbo wagon and wrx wagon are same width as older cars.

Yeah I don't think I would try it on a rally car, but my suspension doesn't see a lot of travel, is lower, and the alignment moves the hub in slightly. At full droop is where it would be more of a problem I think.
smh0101
Fifth Gear

Post by smh0101 »

Now if I go with 02 WRX front control arms all I'll need to do is have an alignment done right? or will I need to buy camber bolts to replace the lower strut/hub bolt so I can get the correct alignment?

(My question is really does the stock upper bolt have enough adjustability to be able to compensate for the bottom of the hub being pushed out further)
~Spencer
94 Legacy Turbo (550 Robtune/ej20h v2 Sti RA drivetrain)
94 Legacy Ti Wagon (5mt ej22e)
91 rhd Legacy GT Wagon (factory 5mt, ej20g)
93 rhd Legacy GT type S2 Sedan (4eat, ej20g)
91 rhd Legacy Ti Type S 1.8
03 Lincoln LS V8 Sport
08 300 SRT8
PhyrraM
Fourth Gear

Post by PhyrraM »

The front struts on '02-'07 sedans are drilled slightly differently to allow them more "slope" to accommodate the wider control arms, but the same upper mount and knuckle geometry.

Ideally, you would get struts meant for a '02-'07 WRX or '04 STI. However, many folks get a proper alignment with just camber bolts. Some have slotted the strut mounting holes.
'93 Winestone SS Auto, '91 Pearl White SS.
'93 Pure White SS EJ20G slanty intercooled, SIDESWIPED! In stasis.
'94 FWD and '95 AWD Laguna Blue SVXs.
2017 Pure Red BRZ Limited w/Performance pack
PhyrraM
Fourth Gear

Post by PhyrraM »

Also, keep in ind the front control arm bushing is different between GD/GG and earlier cars. IIRc, you need to cut a bit off the bushing center tube (or is it add spacers?)
'93 Winestone SS Auto, '91 Pearl White SS.
'93 Pure White SS EJ20G slanty intercooled, SIDESWIPED! In stasis.
'94 FWD and '95 AWD Laguna Blue SVXs.
2017 Pure Red BRZ Limited w/Performance pack
smh0101
Fifth Gear

Post by smh0101 »

Good to know. Thanks for the info. By the control arm bushing do you mean where it mounts to the subframe or the back mount that bolts to the frame?

If it's the bushing where it connects to the subframe then I should be fine because I'm swapping a v9 spec c subframe in.
~Spencer
94 Legacy Turbo (550 Robtune/ej20h v2 Sti RA drivetrain)
94 Legacy Ti Wagon (5mt ej22e)
91 rhd Legacy GT Wagon (factory 5mt, ej20g)
93 rhd Legacy GT type S2 Sedan (4eat, ej20g)
91 rhd Legacy Ti Type S 1.8
03 Lincoln LS V8 Sport
08 300 SRT8
jamal
Vendor
Vendor

Post by jamal »

Front bushing in the subframe. Yeah it's wider. You can swap it for an older style bushing, or maybe trim it, which I vaguely recall hearing about.

I would not worry about needing anything extra for alignment with sedan arms. A touch more negative camber is a good thing and the stock bolts turned all the way out will get it to reasonable numbers. Plus it's generally not a good idea to put those smaller aftermarket bolts in the front.
th3band1t
In Neutral

Post by th3band1t »

I will give you all a heads up on switching control arms. If you go through your Subaru dealer use these part numbers.
The Impreza Wagon is a 20090FE000 and the Sedan is a 20090SA000.

So if I understand all of this correctly for the wider front track go with the sedan set. What I am trying to figure out is what axle to use up front since my 91 is a 4AT. Ive already ordered the inner transverse link bushing 20201AA000 so that the arms will fit properly as well.
bcmaxx
First Gear

Post by bcmaxx »

got my goodies today, now I can replace my control arms, install my tranny and rear diff, replace rear bushings all in one shot