ECU where are you?

Got a new part? Is it the best thing you've ever seen? Is it a complete ripoff? Let us know about your parts and service.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

GizMo22t
First Gear

ECU where are you?

Post by GizMo22t »

Hello all I have been looking over this message board and i have ony one question. How come there is no refrence to any ECU upgrade? I have found sevral on the internet but heard no one talk about them. Are they good, or a waste of money? If any has done this mod please let me know what you think. If not the web address for the ECU upgrade is at the bottom. Just scroll down and look for Subaru 92-94 2.2 Turbo. Tell me what you all think. Thanks

Mo

http://www.pro-lineperformance.com/computerupgrades.htm
-K-
Third Gear

Post by -K- »

I think I could get 30hp out of just the bleeder valve that you need to buy. I don't know if it is worth it, what does the chip do? I do know from the diesel truck guys that most "chips" are mostly scams that only raise the boost=HP. Just my feelings....
02 WRX Sedan, 5mt
93 Sport Sedan, 5mt
mile hi
First Gear

Post by mile hi »

You pretty well hit it a lot of things like this are just that scams. I saw my first "reprogrammed" ECU a few days ago and it included a bleeder valve and supposedly added 30hp+ to the WRX. I have been involved with this sort of thing for several years and now manufacture a add on chip for the Impreza and Legacy and don't think this 'reprogramming" is the way to go. The WRX does need something and I think I will be able to do quite a bit for it and most of this could be used on the EJ22t with a little work.
Mark Ward
First Gear

Post by Mark Ward »

Jason has done the Autronic ecu and appantly the Link ECU from Possom Bourne is a good deal.
www.mrtrally.com has a lot of good info on it.
As far as flashing your current ECU, I think it is probably a waste of good money. I would save up a bit more and at least get the Link ECU. Then you can make changes...
Mark

Post by Guest »

I would agree with Mark Re-Flash doesn't seem to be a good way to go. If you are racing and are serious enough to keep it tuned and up to date something like the link is the way to go. For less money a add-on chip but it should take more than boost into consideration and make adjustments to fuel and timing also.
AL(CO)
al@iwtu.net
GizMo22t
First Gear

Ecu

Post by GizMo22t »

I was looking on that web site and. The Link ECU for the Legacy turbo that they list. Will that work for My car? It is listed for RS Liberty and LegacyImpreza Turbo Ver 1 - 2 (1996). Will that work or do I neet to modify it?

Mo
Mark Ward
First Gear

Post by Mark Ward »

You should email Brett to find out.
Mark
GizMo22t
First Gear

Post by GizMo22t »

Where can i find him?
-K-
Third Gear

Post by -K- »

Didn't other countries get the Legacy turbo that was 2L. I'd email em and ask about the US Legacy 2.2L turbo. And this isn't one of the plug in piggyback ECU's that Giz was looking at. The link has to be tuned. How much power do you want Giz? I'd spend that money on an Intercooler FIRST, then a boost gauge+MBC=12-13 psi, then exhaust. :)
02 WRX Sedan, 5mt
93 Sport Sedan, 5mt
GizMo22t
First Gear

Re:

Post by GizMo22t »

I'm not sure as to how much power I would like to have. I plan to have many more mods before I even look too hard into this ECU. I would just like to know more about it and what cars are interchangable.
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

From the engine management infrastructure side, the only real difference between the EJ20T and the EJ22T is that the 2.2 liter uses a waste spark ignition design with a coil pack rather than a coil-on-plug design with individual coils. I would guess that he Link ought to be able to handle the 2-channel ignition system just fine, but even if it can't, about $3 worth of electronics can make a 4-channel-ignition ECU work with a 2-channel ignition system.
-K-
Third Gear

Post by -K- »

Well in that case, what about using a ECU from a Liberty RS. I have the IC off of one and they do run more boost I think. My ECU must pull way too much timing and dump a lot of extra fuel to run safely at 13psi without an intercooler(I hear it is safe to run up to the fuel cut) I'm still at stock boost untill I get a fuel pump. :cry:
02 WRX Sedan, 5mt
93 Sport Sedan, 5mt
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

A Liberty RS ECU is also meant for a four-channel ignition system, so you'd have to fix that.

The EJ20T is different from the EJ22T in many ways -- displacement, head flow characteristics, amount of boost and speed with which it builds, intercooling... So the EJ20T ECU wouldn't be well suited to our engines; at the least, it isn't clearly an upgrade.

That said, I'm getting an ECU from a 1994 WRX wagon to play with; I believe the '94 WRX wagon's engine was almost the same as the Liberty RS's. You can bet I'll be trying to hook it up to my car, and I'll let you know what happens.
GizMo22t
First Gear

Re:

Post by GizMo22t »

Yes please let us know how well that works. I will look forward to hearing back from you.
-K-
Third Gear

Post by -K- »

Yes it is different in some ways but the RS guys put 2.2L's in and run ok.
02 WRX Sedan, 5mt
93 Sport Sedan, 5mt